Not Worthy Of A Thread

Thespence

Another story involving: smears, Ashley & £100m. 

FSA to probe smear against JJB chairman

JJB Sports has called in City watchdog the Financial Services Authority to investigate a 'smear campaign' against chairman Sir David Jones, aimed at derailing a £100m fundraising.

The hoax involved false claims that illicit payments were made to Jones, JJB's executive chairman and former Next supremo.

The allegations were so serious the retailer decided to postpone its £100m shareholder cash call on Friday after some major investors got cold feet.

JJB said last night that it had investigated the matter and found the stories to be 'totally unfounded'.

During the internal probe, it is understood Jones's bank accounts were scrutinised and no evidence of any payments were found.

Jones has already been at the centre of a payment controversy after it was revealed that in 2007 he received a £1.5m loan from rival Mike Ashley, the billionaire behind Sports Direct International and the owner of Newcastle United football club.

The loan was repaid and Jones insisted his position was not compromised as he had taken the money before his role with JJB began.

JJB said it had already spoken to the FSA about the smears, adding: 'The board is very concerned by the timing and concerted nature of these rumours.

'The board remains fully supportive of Sir David Jones and committed to proceeding with a capital raising.'

JJB said it would press ahead with the cash call 'early this week'.

http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/markets/article.html?in_article_id=491769&in_page_id=3&position=moretopstories

Dennis Wise joins Chalfont St Peter

Dennis Wise has returned to football in the unlikely setting of non-League Chalfont St Peter.

Former Leeds manager Wise, whose time as executive director (football) with Newcastle was highlighted in the ruling of the Premier League tribunal into Kevin Keegan’s claim for constructive dismissal, has joined to help promote the Buckinghamshire club’s community initiatives. Chalfont St Peter are second in the Spartan South Midlands Premier League.

The club have emphasised that Wise’s involvement will not extend to the playing side.

Wise, 42, was widely blamed for Keegan’s controversial departure, having signed players without his approval, and has been out of work since April. But a club statement said that “his involvement will be purely on the community side, he will not, in any way, be involved with the football side.” Wise added that he was “proud to be part of this”.

Meanwhile, Wise’s former Chelsea colleague Jimmy Floyd Hasselbaink is poised to make a playing comeback for Blue Square South club Woking. The Dutchman, who is now a summariser for Sky, has been approached to help the club restore former glories.

Woking’s most famous moment was when they knocked West Bromwich Albion out of the FA Cup in 2001. Hasselbaink lives nearby, though the club insist that any moves for the striker are at “a very early stage”.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/6308930/Dennis-Wise-joins-Chalfont-St-Peter.html

According to swedish site "fotbollskanalen.se", we're chasing Edward Ofere of Malmö FF..

In the story, it says that Newcastle scout Ole Nielsen been to numerous Malmö games this season to watch him. But there's no source or nothing..

http://www.fotbollskanalen.se/1.1259971/2009/10/09/newcastle_kollar_in_mff_s_anfallsstjarna

Malmo insist no approach has been fielded from Newcastle United for their Nigerian striker Edward Ofere.

Reports in Sweden claim the Magpies are particularly showing a liking for 6ft 3in Ofere, who was capped by Nigeria earlier this year.

But Malmo insist they have not heard anything official from the St James' Park outfit.

"Newcastle will have to contact us so we can see what they have to offer," Malmo chairman Pelle Svensson told Fotbolldirekt.

"We haven't heard from Newcastle yet but it is easy to understand that the interest is big for him, even if it so far has been silent from interested clubs."

Svensson admits he can understand why a number of clubs are taking a keen interest in Ofere.

"It doesn't surprise me at all. He is hot at the moment," said Ofere.

"Look what he has done during the autumn. He has scored more goals than he has had opportunities."

:facepalm:

Svensson admits he can understand why a number of clubs are taking a keen interest in Ofere.

"It doesn't surprise me at all. He is hot at the moment," said Ofere.

What? :lol:

Actually, I was going to criticise the journalist, but now I see it's written in some random Scandanavian language. Probaly a mistranslation

Some terrible news:

U.S. striker Davies injured in car accident

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Charlie Davies, a striker for the United States national soccer team, was involved in a one-car accident early Tuesday in suburban Washington, D.C., in which another person was killed, a U.S. Soccer Federation spokesman said.

Davies was in surgery Tuesday afternoon at Washington Hospital Center and in stable condition, U.S. Soccer said in a statement. The extent of his injuries were unknown, but U.S. Soccer spokesman Neil Buethe said they were not life-threatening.

Davies, who also plays for the French first-division club Sochaux, was expected to require more than 5 hours of surgery.

The U.S. national team was in Washington to play a World Cup qualifying match against Costa Rica on Wednesday. The team has already qualified for the 2010 World Cup.

"Obviously, as a team we were saddened to learn this news," national team coach Bob Bradley said. "Our thoughts and prayers are with Charlie and his family, as well as the people in the car and the families of the others involved. As a team, we are relying on each other in a moment that has for sure hit us all hard."

The accident occured at about 3:15 a.m. ET Tuesday in the southbound lanes of the George Washington Memorial Parkway in Virginia. The U.S. Park Police identified the person who died as Ashley J. Roberta, 22, of Phoenix, Md.

U.S. Park Police Sgt. David Schlosser said there were three people in the car and that Roberta was not the driver. Davies and another passenger were taken to Washington Hospital Center, one by land and one by helicopter, Schlosser said.

"The car was pretty much split in half," Schlosser said, according to The Washington Post.

Davies and another passenger were taken to Washington Hospital Center, one by land and one by helicopter, Schlosser said.

Born in Manchester, N.H., Davies played for Boston College before turning pro in 2006. Davies has four goals in 17 international appearances and started Saturday when the U.S. won 3-2 at Honduras to clinch its sixth straight World Cup berth. He was a member of last year's American Olympic team.

The U.S. team had an optional breakfast at its hotel Tuesday, and officials were informed of the accident around 11 a.m., just as Davies' surgery was about to begin. Bradley gathered the players before lunch and informed them of the news. Davies' teammates were not made available for comment.

"Obviously, the players are saddened by the situation and, obviously, hope the surgery goes well for Charlie and that he has a quick recovery," Buethe said.

Information from The Associated Press was used in this report.

-------------

Hope he recovers. He really has starred for the US this summer and has done very well replacing Erding at Sochaux. Prayers are with him.

Speaking of Davies:

"The tibia and femur in Davies' right leg were broken. He also sustained facial fractures and a fracture in his left elbow in the accident, which took place at about 3:15 a.m. in the suburbs of the nation's capital."

Nothing life-threatening, but I think that pretty much rules him out of the World cup and football in general for a good while. Shame, he's a very good player who I've taken note of ever since I saw him ripping up Nigeria at the Olympics.

Four Four Two's Top 100 Players

100. Ronaldo

99. Santon

98. (Javier) Zanetti

97. Gomez

96. Akinfeev

95. Giggs

94. Chygrynskiy

93. Palacios

92. Van Nistelrooy

91. Gonzalez

90. Eduardo

89. Misimovic

88. Cazorla

87. Navas

86. Raul

85. Van der Sar

84. Gallas

83. Ronaldinho

82. Del Piero

81. Chamakh

80. Mutu

79. Bosingwa

78. Gignac

77. Gilardino

76. Cech

75. Huntelaar

74. Dzeko

73. Pepe

72. Zhirkov

71. Clichy

70. Milito

69. Grafite

68. Tevez

67. Cassano

66. Srna

65. Van Persie

64. Motta

63. Fabiano

62. Melo

61. Modric

60. Chiellini

59. Lahm

58. Reina

57. Robinho

56. Tymoschuk

55. Cambiasso

54. Totti

53. Pirlo

52. Senna

51. Pique

50. Higuain

49. Ballack

48. Sneijder

47. Carvalho

46. Ramos

45. Silva

44. Berbatov

43. Kanoute

42. Anelka

41. Diarra

40. Robben

39. (Yaya) Toure

38. Adebayor

37. Gourcuff

36. Alonso

35. Buffon

34. Terry

33. Evra

32. Pato

31. Aguero

30. De Rossi

29. Benzema

28. Cole

27. Mascherano

26. Henry

25. Alves

24. Diego

23. Cesar

22. Vidic

21. Forlan

20. Fabregas

19. Ribery

18. Essien

17. Maicon

16. Casillas

15. Arshavin

14. Drogba

13. Ibrahimovic

12. Ferdinand

11. Lampard

10. Rooney

9. Eto'o

8. Kaka

7. Gerrard

6. Torres

5. Villa

3= Iniesta

3= Xavi

2. Ronaldo

1. Messi

Team of the Year:

-----------Casillas----------

Maicon--Ferdinand--Vidic--Cole

Ronaldo--Iniesta--Xavi--Messi

------Torres---Villa---------

Lmao. Rooney better than Drogba.

yep, ridiculous. Typically biased publication tbh.

On a side note, I was discussing Rooney the other day with a mate and I honestly can't remember of a time he played well in a really big game. Champions League finals, FA Cup finals, games vs Liverpool or Chelsea.

Strange that everyone thinks he'll win England the world cup single handed.

yep, ridiculous. Typically biased publication tbh.

On a side note, I was discussing Rooney the other day with a mate and I honestly can't remember of a time he played well in a really big game. Champions League finals, FA Cup finals, games vs Liverpool or Chelsea.

Strange that everyone thinks he'll win England the world cup single handed.

Because we're desperate to convince ourselves we have a good chance - and I don't mean that cynically, because I think we do have as good a chance as anyone.

So, naturally we look towards our best forward. Would be unfair to put that scale of pressure on the lad, though.

On last season? I think it is a fair call tbf as The Drog was out for periods of time with knocks & Big Phil not liking him. Rooney was banging goals in for England, helped his team to win the PL & get to the CL final.

On last season? I think it is a fair call tbf as The Drog was out for periods of time with knocks & Big Phil not liking him. Rooney was banging goals in for England, helped his team to win the PL & get to the CL final.

Torres spent large periods of last season injuried and apparently he's the second best striker in the world.

Torres spent large periods of last season injuried and apparently he's the second best striker in the world.

Like most Spanish players they more than likely benefit from the carry on of the feel good factor from there Euro win.