Not Worthy Of A Thread

Thespence

Guest BlacknWhiteArmy

Probably the only good thing that happened in pre season. Those nights of Lee Ryder updates, Lovenkrands attempting to take free kicks on soundless streams and Alan Smith being a model pro in the midfield against Orlando. Urgh.

Wenger wondered whether the goalfests in the Premier League are more down to attacking quality or defensive vulnerability. Amazingly, in matches between England's Champions League teams, there is an average of 6.8 goals scored. It brings to mind José Mourinho's comment after Arsenal beat Tottenham 5-4 at White Hart Lane a few years ago. "It was a hockey score," he sneered. Nothing wrong with this kind of hockey.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2011/oct/29/arsene-wenger-robin-van-persie-arsenal

Swansea's short passing from Saturday, by The Guardian's chalkboards http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/blog/2011/oct/31/premier-league-chalkboard-analyis

Their commitment to a short passing game is remarkable for such a relative minnow – only Chelsea (59%) and Arsenal (58%) enjoy a higher average percentage of possession than Swansea's 57%, and the technical quality across the side was evident on Saturday, particularly in midfield. An impressive 93% of their passes were short, more than any other side this weekend.

Joe Allen and Leon Britton attempted 152 passes between them, misplacing only one. Britton's 100% pass completion rate is extremely rare, and his 67 passes without misplacing any is the most by any Premier League player for six seasons.

Brendan Rogers has shown it is possible for a side with minimal resources to compete in the Premier League while playing attractive football – and their performance at the weekend was one of their dominant to date. They completed 654 passes, while Owen Coyle's Bolton completed only 253.

A Steaua player is punched by a hooligan pitch invader, only for his team mates to attack the hooligan.

Saw this on SSN, what a fucking coward , the player ended up with a broken cheekbone. It didn't quite show you on the video but that cretin spat in the players face after he punched him.

The ref had the cheek to send 2 players off for attacking that cunt.

Michael Chopra reveals £2m betting losses

Ipswich Town striker Michael Chopra has revealed the extent of his gambling addiction, estimating he has lost as much as £2m through betting.

The 27-year-old, who has been receiving treatment for the illness, says he was gambling as much as £20,000 a day.

And he has even admitted to playing with injuries in the past in order to collect his appearance fee.

"I have probably lost between £1.5m and £2m on gambling," he told Sky Sports News."Your first bet's your worst bet. As the years have come along and I've earned more money I've started to gamble more.

"I was gambling up to £20,000 a day at times. As soon as I'd step over the white line I would focus on football - but as soon as I got to the dressing room I would check my phone to see if I'd won.

"As a gambler you want to be playing to get the appearance money. I was playing through injury to cover a debt."

Chopra, who has fought the addiction throughout the majority of his career, said his £5m transfer from Cardiff to Sunderland in 2007 was motivated by his desire to collect a signing on fee to pay off gambling arrears.

"In my first season at Cardiff I had a gambling debt from when I was at Newcastle," explained the former England Under-21 international.

"I had to leave Cardiff and sign for another team to pay that debt off."

Chopra, who has amassed 92 goals in 265 league games for Newcastle, Watford, Nottingham Forest, Barnsley, Cardiff, Sunderland and Ipswich, checked into the Sporting Chance rehabilitation clinic in early October.

But Ipswich boss Paul Jewell has said he will continue to play the forward, who insists he is focused on his career at Portman Road.

"The main thing now is to get promoted with Ipswich. They've backed me and I want to pay them back," he said.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/15538765.stm