Newcastle United Supporters Trust (NUST)

Alby

Newcastle United Supporters Trust (NUST)   

186 members have voted

1. 1. Have you / do you intend to pledge to the 1892 Pledge scheme orchestrated by the NUST?

• Yes
    • No

Great gesture by Daz and in stark contrast to the character assassination by some on here. A lad who bleeds black and white and follows them far and wide.

The fanbase is diverse and there can be supporters groups to represent all types. NUST is not for me but if this supporters group puts coaches on, arranges away days, social events they’ll be very popular as per the Green Man and boat trips.

Good luck to them if you don’t like him just don’t join simple as really.

From my perspective no issues with supporters clubs, in fact I am a member of one as well as the Trust. 

But they are very different things, a supported club is about building a community, and having events and other community benefits such as The Green Man event and the boat trips (which I’ve been on before and I’m booked on another for later this season).

However, in my view any organisation that seeks to influence the club in how it is ran and operated, which is what a supporters Trust does as opposed to a supporters club, needs to have a formal constitution / set of transparent governing rules and all those running the organisation should be elected by the organisation’s members and not self appointed. 

7 minutes ago, Greg said:

From my perspective no issues with supporters clubs, in fact I am a member of one as well as the Trust. 

But they are very different things, a supported club is about building a community, and having events and other community benefits such as The Green Man event and the boat trips (which I’ve been on before and I’m booked on another for later this season).

However, in my view any organisation that seeks to influence the club in how it is ran and operated, which is what a supporters Trust does as opposed to a supporters club, needs to have a formal constitution / set of transparent governing rules and all those running the organisation should be elected by the organisation’s members and not self appointed. 

I agree 100% with that. Looking from the outside in your last line is contradictory somewhat to what the NUST has done and caused the division it seems. To clarify people stepping down then stepping back up when not voted or asked to by its members comes across as self appointed. 

2 minutes ago, LFEE said:

I agree 100% with that. Looking from the outside in your last line is contradictory somewhat to what the NUST has done and caused the division it seems. To clarify people stepping down then stepping back up when not voted or asked to by its members comes across as self appointed. 

Everyone single member currently on the Trust Board has been appointed through a democratic process - elected / or put up for election. The co-option you referred to (which is within the rules but I don’t think should be used widely) was only to serve for the same period of time as that person was originally elected for (following a member election) and he was then made to be stand in the next available election. Not ideal - but certainly not self appointed and was twice subject to a democratic exercise.

2 minutes ago, Greg said:

Everyone single member currently on the Trust Board has been appointed through a democratic process - elected / or put up for election. The co-option you referred to (which is within the rules but I don’t think should be used widely) was only to serve for the same period of time as that person was originally elected for (following a member election) and he was then made to be stand in the next available election. Not ideal - but certainly not self appointed and was twice subject to a democratic exercise.

That’s very well explained but I would hazard a guess for many that explanation has come too late and people have made their minds up. I raised at the last meeting the perception problem the NUST has and needs to improve on to avoid becoming irrelevant yet the board seemed oblivious to it except for one member who has since given notice for pastures new I take it. You’ve practically just said yourself what went on although technically fine isn’t ideal.

I know the argument will come back no one else stood for election so needs must to keep the NUST ongoing but like I said at the meeting you all need to ask yourselves why that is and do something about it.

What are the boards views now on its own make up?

16 minutes ago, LFEE said:

That’s very well explained but I would hazard a guess for many that explanation has come too late and people have made their minds up. I raised at the last meeting the perception problem the NUST has and needs to improve on to avoid becoming irrelevant yet the board seemed oblivious to it except for one member who has since given notice for pastures new I take it. You’ve practically just said yourself what went on although technically fine isn’t ideal.

I know the argument will come back no one else stood for election so needs must to keep the NUST ongoing but like I said at the meeting you all need to ask yourselves why that is and do something about it.

What are the boards views now on its own make up?

Also worth noting in that case as well, those that decided to do the co-opt were also elected and therefore can be removed. There are multiple layers of democratic process in play, but use of the co-opt process should always be kept to a minimum.

I can't speak for the Board on here, only for myself. My view is the Trust was not functioning brilliantly for most of 2022, but since the AGM it has improved significantly, with far better member output and the new website is a huge improvement - see www.nufctrust.co.uk  - but in terms of the Board - we need an election asap to get fresh new faces involved but we also need to attract the right type of people to stand for election. Being on the Trust board you are a director of a limited company and it needs to be taken seriously and you need to have the right skill set to really have an impact and to be useful to the Trust and its member. We'll run the election when we can once agreed by the Board and in-line with the Trust's rule and the election policy. The last election was a failure for the Trust as you know, I think in large parts that was down to how it was promoted, the lack of information, husting etc. It's imperative that it isn't ran like that again.

Edited by Greg

4 minutes ago, Greg said:

Also worth noting in that case as well, those that decided to do the co-opt were also elected and therefore can be removed. There are multiple layers of democratic process in play, but use of the co-opt process should always be kept to a minimum.

I can't speak for the Board on here, only for myself. My view is the Trust was not functioning brilliantly for most of 2022, but since the AGM it has improved significantly, with far better member output and the new website is a huge improvement - see www.nuctrust.co.uk  - but in terms of the Board - we need an election asap to get fresh new faces involved but we also need to attract the right type of people to stand for election. Being on the Trust board you are a director of a limited company and it needs to be taken seriously and you need to have the right skill set to really have an impact and to be useful to the Trust and its member. We'll run the election when we can once agreed by the Board and in-line with the Trust's rule and the election policy. The last election was a failure for the Trust as you know, I think in large parts that was down to how it was promoted, the lack of information, husting etc. It's imperative that it isn't ran like that again.

That’s a very positive reply and I agree with all you’ve said. That last election has really damaged the credibility of the NUST despite it being within the guidelines and regulations etc. Hopefully some new members can be a game changer going forward. As currently it’s looking far too cosy and in danger of becoming victim of the failings of the previous incarnation of the NUST.

Edited by LFEE

Think it would definitely help to have a bit of promotion and engagement ahead of the next elections, or even just in general about what the trust actually does. 

I’m not sure everyone who gave £1 in the hope of getting rid of Ashley can really be considered an active member. Albeit I don’t know what the numbers and joiners/leavers have been since then. 

It’s a really bad sign that more people don’t go to meetings and didn’t stand for election. 

I basically believe the best about the people involved, just maybe there needs to be a bit more activity geared towards really engaging the fans. 

The Trust lost all credibility to me when they launched the loyalty point retention scheme. Whether you agree with the scheme or not, whether the take-up was really low or really high, the fact remains they completely misled fans like me and others - @bowlingcroftybeing one.

I'm still yet to have an explanation as to why.

2 hours ago, Greg said:

I can't speak for the Board on here, only for myself. My view is the Trust was not functioning brilliantly for most of 2022, but since the AGM it has improved significantly, with far better member output and the new website is a huge improvement - see www.nufctrust.co.uk  - but in terms of the Board - we need an election asap to get fresh new faces involved but we also need to attract the right type of people to stand for election. Being on the Trust board you are a director of a limited company and it needs to be taken seriously and you need to have the right skill set to really have an impact and to be useful to the Trust and its member. We'll run the election when we can once agreed by the Board and in-line with the Trust's rule and the election policy. The last election was a failure for the Trust as you know, I think in large parts that was down to how it was promoted, the lack of information, husting etc. It's imperative that it isn't ran like that again.

Our lot must love True Faith then.

10 hours ago, TheBrownBottle said:

I’m sure he just had rough ideas on the numbers.  When I used to ring him he’d ask how many?  ‘Six (or whatever) please Keith’.  Not once did I get a ‘it’s full mate’ response - and sometimes there’d be two coaches and you’d have a couple of seats each, as clearly it was just over one coachload.  The costs were split anyway - I never knew the cost until on the bus.  Great days - drinking and smoking and singing all the way there - take over a pub before the game - stop off somewhere on the way back to Newcastle, never made it home before midnight unless it was a local(ish) team. 

NB - by the early ‘00s it was a lot more than a couple of coaches of course - I can remember trips with six or seven coaches

Remember one away game at Man Utd he had a few buses on and asked me "to collect the bit" as I was the one he knew best on that bus (him being on a different one). Collected the money (£1,020) and had to go round with it in my pocket all day which I hated as obviously full of drink and shit scared of losing it! 

Totally forgot all about it and Remember waking up the next morning with a stinking hangover and the money still in my pocket. He never even bothered chasing me up about it. Money was always easy come easy go for him. In the end I popped along to his house in Seghill a few days later and handed it to him. Seen him at Southampton away in the Semi Final and had a good but crack with him. Great that he's back.

1 hour ago, Wallsendmag said:

Remember one away game at Man Utd he had a few buses on and asked me "to collect the bit" as I was the one he knew best on that bus (him being on a different one). Collected the money (£1,020) and had to go round with it in my pocket all day which I hated as obviously full of drink and shit scared of losing it! 

Totally forgot all about it and Remember waking up the next morning with a stinking hangover and the money still in my pocket. He never even bothered chasing me up about it. Money was always easy come easy go for him. In the end I popped along to his house in Seghill a few days later and handed it to him. Seen him at Southampton away in the Semi Final and had a good but crack with him. Great that he's back.

Yeah, I’m glad to hear he’s going again

7 hours ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

Think it would definitely help to have a bit of promotion and engagement ahead of the next elections, or even just in general about what the trust actually does. 

I’m not sure everyone who gave £1 in the hope of getting rid of Ashley can really be considered an active member. Albeit I don’t know what the numbers and joiners/leavers have been since then. 

It’s a really bad sign that more people don’t go to meetings and didn’t stand for election. 

I basically believe the best about the people involved, just maybe there needs to be a bit more activity geared towards really engaging the fans. 

Literally couldn’t get enough standing to have an election, but claims membership in the five figures constantly.  People paying a quid for exactly what you wrote a few few years back and now they claim to be a mouthpiece of the support.  The whole exercise is a bit of a joke, and Curry was spot on in what he said about it - I still find the complete lack of self-awareness from the Hurst and Robsons of the world incredible.  It’s all just a small cadre of pals, including a couple of local journalists, sniffing each other’s farts and telling them how nice it smells.   This doesn’t apply to blokes like Greg, but the links to tf and the Athletic are an annoyance.  The Athletic is like WSC without any soul, and tf is just a middle-class pals club.  They can all bore off. 

https://nufctrust.co.uk/news/ticketing-survey-results/ 

Ticket Pulse Survey - The Results

The Trust continues to engage with Newcastle United on key issues that affect our members and the wider fanbase. With this in mind, last week we ran a short pulse survey to gather member feedback on a number of specific questions in relation to ticketing. Thank you to all 2,699 members that completed our pulse survey. The results show the majority of Trust members were broadly satisfied with how the club set the distribution for tickets for the Carabao Cup Final at Wembley, but with 22.9% unhappy it is clear there is some frustration at the process the club adopted. 

Please click here to find the results of the survey.

Member feedback is important to us and the Trust Board will use it as we continue to engage with the club on this issue. At the end of the season, we will also run our annual survey to gain member feedback on a far wider range of issues.

Survey 1.png

Survey 2.png

Survey 3.png

Survey 4.png

1 hour ago, Greg said:

The Trust continues to engage with Newcastle United on key issues that affect our members and the wider fanbase. With this in mind, last week we ran a short pulse survey to gather member feedback on a number of specific questions in relation to ticketing. Thank you to all 2,699 members that completed our pulse survey. The results show the majority of Trust members were broadly satisfied with how the club set the distribution for tickets for the Carabao Cup Final at Wembley, but with 22.9% unhappy it is clear there is some frustration at the process the club adopted. 

Member feedback is important to us and the Trust Board will use it as we continue to engage with the club on this issue. At the end of the season, we will also run our annual survey to gain member feedback on a far wider range of issues.

Survey 1.png

Survey 2.png

Survey 3.png

Survey 4.png

the first question is a bit too late for the Trust to be asking its membership on now tbf as Brian Blessed was consulted by the club before they decided on the criteria. I don’t disagree with the process the club went with but that’s not the point. Hurst et al are meant to represent their membership directly imho not be appointed to make decisions based on their superior merit.

FWIW @Greg I feel for you , you do a good job from what I see but some if the board lack your integrity and desire to represent the fan base for the greater good rather than their own self interest / social media profile. 

Edited by OCOCOL

On 19/03/2023 at 11:36, Greg said:

Survey 1.png

Survey 2.png

Survey 3.png

Survey 4.png

Noone better be taking Bruno's dad's ticket away.

• 4 weeks later...
28 minutes ago, LeeB said:

I've been following along on Twitter - been a right laugh.

The latest is the new group being clamped for directly copying content from the NUST website onto their own.

Couldn't believe that when I was reading it

Then straight up asking for a membership fee then going onto podcasts

The things they were slagging the others off for

8 minutes ago, Big River said:

well howay then, spread the joy for those of us who don't frequent the cesspit that is NUFC twitter

Maybe someone who know about this stuff more can elaborate a bit on this one. Seems like there's a wrongun involved and they're claiming he's not.

Edited by LeeB