Steve Harper rejoins NUFC as Academy coach

Weznufc

Don't like saying this because the loyalty he has shown us over the years is immense.....

But i honestly cannot wait till Krul is fit, would have saved both goals tonight IMO.

I doubt that Krul would have saved both, I'm not sure he would have got either but we'll never know.  The quicker he's back the better though.

A 'keeper capable of moving sideways instead of only forwards does tend to help though.

Guest Rey Mysterio

Great save for the disallowed goal, so poor for both the ones that counted, as was Howard for our first. Elliot must take turboshit to a new level in training.

He's getting on, his best days may be behind him and Krul is undoubtedly a better keeper (indeed Krul is far better than most other keepers) but some of the "scapegoatism" being dished out on here is a joke, as well as being pretty disrespectful to a great club servant and sportsman.

He did nowt wrong tonight, made a couple of decent saves and came of his line very well to save us once. Very few keepers could have done anything about their goals. Harper has never let Newcastle down.

It worries me that as an opposition manager you only need to instruct your players to keep the shots low and slightly out of reach of Harper to get the goals, instead of having to take a chance of burrying it in the corner with the potential of missing or hitting the post. The sooner Krul is back the better, but now (Euro mid week) might be a good time to see what Elliot is capable of.

He's getting on, his best days may be behind him and Krul is undoubtedly a better keeper (indeed Krul is far better than most other keepers) but some of the "scapegoatism" being dished out on here is a joke, as well as being pretty disrespectful to a great club servant and sportsman.

He did nowt wrong tonight, made a couple of decent saves and came of his line very well to save us once. Very few keepers could have done anything about their goals. Harper has never let Newcastle down.

You what!? I understand sentimentality and all that, but that is just plain nonsense.

you only need to instruct your players to keep the shots low and slightly out of reach of [the goalkeeper] to get the goals

Erm, doesn't that always apply?

Not really. Against a more agile keeper the odds may be better if you shoot it higher when the keeper is crouched near the ground. With Harper's complete lack of agility, anything coming in low means he's not got a chance and just falls face forward into the ground. I rate what he's done for the club, and I hope he keeps on as a coach, but to have to rely on him now is a horrible prospect. I assumed by the fact Forster was let go and not replaced Elliott was our second goalkeeper, with Harper the veteran third option in case of an emergency, but seemingly not..

Guest firetotheworks

At least wait until he's actually been shit man! There are a few matches, so it's likely, but caning him for tonight is very creative.

At least wait until he's actually been shit man! There are a few matches, so it's likely, but caning him for tonight is very creative.

Danny Simpson is injured though, that only leaves Williamson and Harper to pick on.

Guest Rey Mysterio

Danny Simpson is injured though, that only leaves Williamson and Harper to pick on.

Don't think anyone's picking on him, just commenting on the fact that his efforts were feeble for both goals and the sooner our first choice goalie is back the better.

You what!? I understand sentimentality and all that, but that is just plain nonsense.

Aye alreet, if Harper hadn't been playing we'd have won 2-0. You happy now?

Personally I don't think he fucked too badly up for their second. Clearly expected a shot in the near corner where he was standing, as evident by his weight being on the "wrong" foot for the eventual shot, which in turn made him look a complete fucktard not moving after the ball at all. First one was pretty bad, though.