Steve Harper rejoins NUFC as Academy coach

Weznufc

He's fine as a third choice goalkeeper to offer experience in training and around the squad etc, but when the second choice is Elliot we've all got every right to be fucking worried.

There comes a time when 'experienced' becomes 'old'. He looks and plays like an old man now and I really hope we're not going to have to rely on him ever again.

Give him a Rolex and let him go ffs.

coming off his line like an inexperienced youth.

For such an experienced player, he does make some very nervy mistakes.

I wish you lot would listen to me! Said it before, and i will say it again. He is SHITE. :whistle:

I wish you lot would listen to me! Said it before, and i will say it again. He is SHITE. :whistle:

He might be struggling now but he has been a good keeper for us when called upon for a long time. If Elliot fails to step up (too early to tell yet) and anything happens to Krul (please god no!) then you might appreciate what we had all these years while Harper chose to stay rather than going elsewhere to be first choice.

Also think that Harper is good enough as a Nr. 2 here. We've had a luxury with Given and him for many years. Now it's probably more of a standard back up goalkeeper solution with Harper - but imo he's still higher standard for a second choice GK.

I wish you lot would listen to me! Said it before, and i will say it again. He is s****. :whistle:

He might be struggling now but he has been a good keeper for us when called upon for a long time. If Elliot fails to step up (too early to tell yet) and anything happens to Krul (please god no!) then you might appreciate what we had all these years while Harper chose to stay rather than going elsewhere to be first choice.

Well said.

Also think that Harper is good enough as a Nr. 2 here. We've had a luxury with Given and him for many years. Now it's probably more of a standard back up goalkeeper solution with Harper - but imo he's still higher standard for a second choice GK.

No he isn't

No he isn't

Exactly. In theory we should have a second-choice keeper who you'd happily see play in the cup games this season. Expecting that from Forster was unrealistic, but I have no faith in Harper at all to do that job, and from what I've seen of Elliot, even less so with him.

Guest BooBoo

Yes, our back up keeper position is a worry. Harper past it and Elliott a liability.

Hopefully, Krul can stay injury free again.

SHOULD be 2nd choice, not behind the Charlton reject

If we don't get another keeper, I agree he should be second choice, as a haven't been filled with confidence with Elliot. It's like asking if you would rather have syphilis or herpes, when you wouldn't really want either. Harper is my herpes.

Not exactly ever going to get a good 2nd choice keeper unless you're a big club. A 'good player' is never going to move just to sit on a bench. Usually a decent sub keeper is one that is homegrown, developed well from youth or a displaced first teamer.

Not exactly ever going to get a good 2nd choice keeper unless you're a big club. A 'good player' is never going to move just to sit on a bench. Usually a decent sub keeper is one that is homegrown, developed well from youth or a displaced first teamer.

Harper is all three :shifty:

Guest thenorthumbrian

I wish you lot would listen to me! Said it before, and i will say it again. He is s****. :whistle:

He must regret having spent so long on the bench when he could have gone elsewhere and been first choice keeper at a good level for a few years,

Harper won't let us down if called upon. He never has.

:lol:

He's an average second choice keeper who's made plenty of errors.

Canny fella and loves the club which is fair enough, but these circumstances result in a lot of delusion regarding his ability.

Harper won't let us down if called upon. He never has.

:lol:

He's an average second choice keeper who's made plenty of errors.

Canny fella and loves the club which is fair enough, but these circumstances result in a lot of delusion regarding his ability.

I'd say the delusion goes the other way myself. There just are not that many keepers that are better than Harper that we could reasonably sign and none of them would be willing to be 2nd choice.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Rey Mysterio

Hope to god Krul doesn't pick up an injury this year as we could really do without starting a PL game with Harper in the sticks.

The goal tonight brought back painful memories of his latter days as our number 1.

Hope to god Krul doesn't pick up an injury this year as we could really do without starting a PL game with Harper in the sticks.

The goal tonight brought back painful memories of his latter days as our number 1.

He did nothing wrong for the goal tonight.

He did nothing wrong for the goal tonight.

Was gonna write 'Bet he did!' but thought better of it  :rolleyes: