George Caulkin

Tooj

If Benitez goes there will effectively be no point in supporting Newcastle because it'll be obvious once and for all that we are not there to compete as a football club while Ashley is the owner. That we are purely a vehicle for earning Sports Direct more cash through advertising.

All we have as fans is a love for our club and a hope that our club will push for honours by building the best squad and staff possible. If we know that our club isn't in it to compete and that there is no hope of it then what's the point?

I'm still optimistic and think he'll stay. It will take quite a lot for him to leave. At the moment he wants one thing with his career and that is a long time project. To build something up, and to compete, which he thinks he can do with us. It also has to be near Liverpool, and I don't see that many other options around. The city and fans are also important for him, and we are the perfect match.

I think he will fight to stay and to get things his way. He had quite a long fight with the owners of Liverpool too who promised him the moon, but didn't live up to it. There is of course always the chance Ashley and Carr totally runs him over, and he feels he has no other option then to leave.

I'm still optimistic and think he'll stay. It will take quite a lot for him to leave. At the moment he wants one thing with his career and that is a long time project. To build something up, and to compete, which he thinks he can do with us. It also has to be near Liverpool, and I don't see that many other options around. The city and fans are also important for him, and we are the perfect match.

I think he will fight to stay and to get things his way. He had quite a long fight with the owners of Liverpool too who promised him the moon, but didn't live up to it. There is of course always the chance Ashley and Carr totally runs him over, and he feels he has no other option then to leave.

Agreed.

I'd say Ashley would be insane to not back Rafa if we go up, but then Mike is a bit insane. Rafa is as good as we'll ever get and if we get promoted, he'll be an absolute hero. If Rafa goes, I think I may personally be done with the club for a long time..

If Benitez goes there will effectively be no point in supporting Newcastle because it'll be obvious once and for all that we are not there to compete as a football club while Ashley is the owner. That we are purely a vehicle for earning Sports Direct more cash through advertising.

All we have as fans is a love for our club and a hope that our club will push for honours by building the best squad and staff possible. If we know that our club isn't in it to compete and that there is no hope of it then what's the point?

This - absolutely.

There will be NO point in throwing ST money at Ashley and the club if Rafa is forced to leave...and by that I mean that he finds the parameters of Ashley's transfer policy unacceptable. Clearly, he is a successful manager and a winner and that means competing for the players HE believes can bring success. Almost certainly, Rafa does not want to go yet but I am certain that he will if he detects any backsliding on building a team which can achieve his ambitions.

Any manager NUFC get after Rafa goes would be a massive step backwards and a clear signal that  nothing will change while Ashley owns the club - it will be a long haul before he finally goes, but he would never get a penny from me if Rafa had to move to another club - and possibly one with less potential - because of the club's lack of ambition.

Perhaps he's once bitten twice shy and doesn't want to go through the stress of being lied to and misled all over again.

Also, i don't think he's only criteria for taking a job is that it's near Liverpool.

It's probably not a criteria for a new job, but I think he would prefer it. If you sum it all together. A club with great potential, a large fan base, and a city where the football club is important for those who live there. Where he can do a lot not only for the club, but for the city. I think all those are important things for him.

I'm no expert on England since I'm from Sweden, and there is maybe twenty clubs and cities in England that fits the description, I have no idea. It just a feeling I have that we are the perfect match for him, and that was probably the whole reason he decided to stay with us in the championship.

All that stuff is already obvious to be fair. The only reason Benitez is here in the first place is because Ashley stepped back for a while and let Charnley actually make some decisions based on what's best for the club for a change. January just gone strongly suggests we're back to normal.

Blind faith is all I have left, based on the affection Rafa clearly has for the city and the project at the outset. But like I said, he came in when the club's position was the exception rather than the rule.

Rafa supposedly has cast iron guarantees in his contract. If these guarantees are broken Rafa could leave and would be due a big pay off. Hopefully Ashley isn't going to wreck everything again. He should just sell NUFC if all he wants to do is gamble on Premiership survival by spending the bare minimum. He's already failed at that twice (and come close a few times due to under investment and bad decisions). A huge number of fans will give up if Rafa goes, especially when he's replaced with a yes man. I thought Mike Ashley was quoted as saying Rafa was the best manager we could get?

Unfortunately "The best you can get" has never been Ashley's business motto, it's "Will Hi-Tech do?"

And on top of that its Hi-Techs made on the cheap with cheap materials in a sweat shop with no air con and poor workers rights.  Hi-Tech in name only.  :lol:

All that stuff is already obvious to be fair. The only reason Benitez is here in the first place is because Ashley stepped back for a while and let Charnley actually make some decisions based on what's best for the club for a change. January just gone strongly suggests we're back to normal.

Blind faith is all I have left, based on the affection Rafa clearly has for the city and the project at the outset. But like I said, he came in when the club's position was the exception rather than the rule.

Yeah, and that's what I meant by obvious once and for all. Benitez coming here and staying after relegation gave us some hope back and had us thinking 'what if....?' on many levels.

If Benitez goes then there are no 'what ifs' any more because we'll know beyond all doubt now that we are not here to compete.

I am 50/50 whether he'll stay. I think Ashley may have tried it on in the transfer window to see whether Benitez would blink. He didn't. When push comes to shove I think Ashley will reluctantly give Rafa close enough to what he wants in the summer. I'm basing that on the assumption that Ashley has at least some sort of functioning logic in there somewhere. Can he afford to lose Benitez, who let's not forget, runs everything from top to bottom at the club? I don't think so, any nonsense in trying to involve Carr again will prove to be a false economy (again). He must know that deep down, the fat fuck.

This - absolutely.

There will be NO point in throwing ST money at Ashley and the club if Rafa is forced to leave...and by that I mean that he finds the parameters of Ashley's transfer policy unacceptable. Clearly, he is a successful manager and a winner and that means competing for the players HE believes can bring success. Almost certainly, Rafa does not want to go yet but I am certain that he will if he detects any backsliding on building a team which can achieve his ambitions.

Any manager NUFC get after Rafa goes would be a massive step backwards and a clear signal that  nothing will change while Ashley owns the club - it will be a long haul before he finally goes, but he would never get a penny from me if Rafa had to move to another club - and possibly one with less potential - because of the club's lack of ambition.

Agree with both of these.

Guest Howaythetoon

Rafa will be gone come the first game of the season, guaranteed.

Since when was your opinion a guarantee?

Fucking hell...

OK I'll rephrase - I personally think, based on the owner, how strong the manager is, how highly rated he is in the game and all that jazz that it points to an inevitable departure at some point, sooner rather than later.

I'll donate £100 quid to the SBR foundation if he's still our manager come the first game of the season. I'll then donate another £100 if he is still our manager after the summer transfer window closes. 

I actually think Rafa would love to stay as he loves it here and the club has huge potential, but he's like KK and needs total control and the moment he gets fucked about with he stands his ground and doesn't take any shit. We all know Ashley doesn't give a damn and we all know even if Rafa left, there would still be 40K fans there every week.

Rafa will take us up, he will then leave head held high and leave for a club far more ambitious that matches his desire to win trophies. Ashley will want another Pardew in place. All he cares about is that NUFC is a Premier League club. He doesn't care whether we finish 5th or 17th.

I'll be amazed if he's still our manager in 2018 like!

f***ing hell...

OK I'll rephrase - I personally think, based on the owner, how strong the manager is, how highly rated he is in the game and all that jazz that it points to an inevitable departure at some point, sooner rather than later.

I'll donate £100 quid to the SBR foundation if he's still our manager come the first game of the season. I'll then donate another £100 if he is still our manager after the summer transfer window closes. 

I actually think Rafa would love to stay as he loves it here and the club has huge potential, but he's like KK and needs total control and the moment he gets f***ed about with he stands his ground and doesn't take any s***. We all know Ashley doesn't give a damn and we all know even if Rafa left, there would still be 40K fans there every week.

Rafa will take us up, he will then leave head held high and leave for a club far more ambitious that matches his desire to win trophies. Ashley will want another Pardew in place. All he cares about is that NUFC is a Premier League club. He doesn't care whether we finish 5th or 17th.

I'll be amazed if he's still our manager in 2018 like!

Totally agree HTT, sadly :-( I sincerely hope we're both wrong!