George Caulkin

Tooj

Whether that's true or not it's not relevant to the point being made. The issue with Rafa from Ashley's perspective is that he expects to be able to spend in accordance with his naturally high ambitions. In the summer that issue was able to be bypassed due it being vaguely acceptable for us to lose our best players of PL quality for large sums and spend enough to construct a Championship squad good enough to get promoted.

That absolutely won't be the case next summer (should we go up) and everything points to Rafa being extremely disappointed about the non-investment in January.

Whether that's true or not it's not relevant to the point being made. The issue with Rafa from Ashley's perspective is that he expects to be able to spend in accordance with his naturally high ambitions. In the summer that issue was able to be bypassed due it being vaguely acceptable for us to lose our best players of PL quality for large sums and spend enough to construct a Championship squad good enough to get promoted.

That absolutely won't be the case next summer (should we go up) and everything points to Rafa being extremely disappointed about the non-investment in January.

Then what was the idea behind appointing Rafa in the first place? I would have thought it was pretty obvious if you are going to hire a world class coach who has won honours throughout his career, that he is going to have at least some ambition. This can't be a surprise since most of us were pointing it out even when the rumours of us going for Rafa were being circulated.

Who fucking knows what the idea behind the appointment was? There's a laundry list of Ashley decisions that don't even make common sense, let alone constitute financial or footballing shrewdness. Maybe he saw a manager who'd likely be able to keep us away from relegation battles every season, and made Liverpool large profits (before the days of PL fee insanity) on the likes of Torres and Alonso.

Then what was the idea behind appointing Rafa in the first place? I would have thought it was pretty obvious if you are going to hire a world class coach who has won honours throughout his career, that he is going to have at least some ambition. This can't be a surprise since most of us were pointing it out even when the rumours of us going for Rafa were being circulated.

Imo the board believed Rafa would be a sure fire bet at keeping us up.

Yep, I said this last weekend - then they cut ties and revert back to the usual shite appointment and it will happen in the summer when he gets us back on the gravy-train

Rafa was given a new contract after we were relegated.

Rafa was given a new contract after we were relegated.

I appreciate that, but that was due to the ground swell of support he enjoys and the expectation a world class manager will walk the league with minimal investment.

Guest Howaythetoon

For Ashley, its all about going back up. Losing Rafa in the summer would have been a huge negative and would have undermined any attempt to go back up at the first time of asking. That's why he was 'backed' basically. Ashley probably now thinks we are now going up regardless, so why would Rafa need any more money...

Rafa and NUFC are compatible, an ideal match. Rafa and Ashley's football club are not and never will be.

There is no way Rafa will want to simply survive next season. He signed a 3 year deal which is quite telling in that he expects to be closer to project  completion or success by year 3 and that for someone like Rafa is European football and a trophy at least. Not fighting relegation or mid-table.

Ashley only cares about being a Premier League club and making profit on players. The cost of two relegation are nothing compared to what SD has made from NUFC being a PL club and of course the profit on player sales. Bear in mind the club get parachute payments as well. Add near enough full houses every week as well and relegation although costly when looked at independently, isn't a big deal in general. Not if the club can go back up again at the first time of asking.

I imagine in the summer, Rafa's stock will be as high as it has ever been if he takes us up and I could see someone like West Ham rolling out the red carpet and lots of money to help transform them into a big club which Rafa is more than capable of doing.

For Rafa to stay at NUFC, I don't think a 50m kitty for example and having Carr's recommendations brought in will be enough, nowhere near enough.

I've personally resigned myself to him leaving.

Ashley won a long time ago, let go, its for the best. This isn't your club, our club, its his! This isn't Newcastle United and never will be. Not until the fat bastard is gone!

Ashley Out!

I'll reserve judgement until the end of the season (summer is the real test!) However it doesn't look promising. I realise that Ashley saw this as a great opportunity to get us promoted, as he saw it, easily, with a world class manager at the helm, with more money coming in than going out. However, why allow him a water tight contract and to buy who he wants, who might not be easy to shift, nor at a profit, if your planning on screwing him over when you get back to the Premier League gravy train? Surely if Ashley "does it his way" he's going against the terms and conditions of Rafa's contract of employment and leaving himself open to another law suit for constructive dismissal?

I haven't got a clue what's going to happen, the only thing I know for sure is that if Rafa is screwed then that's it for me, I cannot and will not put another ounce of money, effort or emotion into the club, not until that fat cunt has gone, there would be nothing left to support. Rafa symbolises that last ray of hope, the faintest heart beat left in a dying club and once he's gone the football goes with him, it just becomes an empty shell, an extention to a soulless, morally bankrupt, corrupt corporation.

Guest Howaythetoon

Rafa's appointment was similar to the Shearer one - one last throw of the dice at staying up.

The club have kind of learned a lesson, however, this time around. Rather than dispensing with Rafa like they did with Shearer which would have created a huge negative vibe around the club resulting in the likely outcome of no promotion, they kept him on and promised him this and that in the genuine belief that he will take us straight back up which is happening at this moment in time as we stand top of the league.

As soon as that happens or looks very likely (which is where we are at right now), the sly fuckers will undermine him or cause friction in the hope he resigns or even gets poached by another club so that they can get another yes man in.

Its happening folks. Ashley and Carr together, Bishop at SJP, negative articles and then positive ones from the club's preferred media partner.

Rafa was obviously seething at the end of the transfer window and rightly so, you could tell. But he's an honourable man and doesn't want to cause any unrest not as we are on the verge of promotion so its business as usual. Remain calm, believe in the players, keep fans supportive and get over that finish line.

Once that's achieved, he'll be off and he won't let sentiment rule because he will have achieved what he set out to do and owes us fuck all. We actually owe him, Ashley owes him big time.

This club man and the fuckers who own it and run it...

I'll reserve judgement until the end of the season (summer is the real test!) However it doesn't look promising. I realise that Ashley saw this as a great opportunity to get us promoted, as he saw it, easily, with a world class manager at the helm, with more money coming in than going out. However, why allow him a water tight contract and to buy who he wants, who might not be easy to shift, nor at a profit, if your planning on screwing him over when you get back to the Premier League gravy train? Surely if Ashley "does it his way" he's going against the terms and conditions of Rafa's contract of employment and leaving himself open to another law suit for constructive dismissal?

I haven't got a clue what's going to happen, the only thing I know for sure is that if Rafa is screwed then that's it for me, I cannot and will not put another ounce of money, effort or emotion into the club, not until that fat cunt has gone, there would be nothing left to support. Rafa symbolises that last ray of hope, the faintest heart beat left in a dying club and once he's gone the football goes with him, it just becomes an empty shell, an extention to a soulless, morally bankrupt, corrupt corporation.

I'm at this point as well. There's obviously good reason to be worried that Rafa might be put in a position where he feels he has to walk, but it's all speculation at this point. If it happens then Ashley will have burned his boats for good for a huge section of the support IMO. I don't think there'll be any coming back from that so if he wants to go down that route then he must be even stupider than I thought.

Did I mishear, or did caulkin say he has it from sources within the club that there has been an awakening and, should rafa go, they'll go for another high profile manager?

What the fuck is the point in that?? We won't get any better or higher profile, just don't fuck him over and you're golden.

So out of curiosity what would people see as minimum backing in the Summer to keep Rafa, net spend of £60mill ?, £70mill ? , more ?, 5 players who'd go straight into first team ?

The club fulfilling the promises made to him regarding transfer budget/control. Whatever that may be.

So out of curiosity what would people see as minimum backing in the Summer to keep Rafa, net spend of £60mill ?, £70mill ? , more ?, 5 players who'd go straight into first team ?

For me it's not about minimum backing, it's about whatever cash being available being Rafa's to spend not for Carr to spunk in the French league on possible monetary assets.

Did I mishear, or did caulkin say he has it from sources within the club that there has been an awakening and, should rafa go, they'll go for another high profile manager?

What the fuck is the point in that?? We won't get any better or higher profile, just don't fuck him over and you're golden.

If that's their plan then good luck with that because if they cause Rafa to walk then no "high profile manager" worth his salt will touch us with the shitty end of a stick.

Guest Howaythetoon

Basically back Rafa to the very limit of what we can do in terms of transfer fees, wages etc. He's not stupid and knows we are not Chelsea or Man City and would never risk bankrupting a club for quick success. If all we can afford is 50m say, let him have it and bring in who he wants within that kind of budget.

Basically back Rafa to the very limit of what we can do in terms of transfer fees, wages etc. He's not stupid and knows we are not Chelsea or Man City and would never risk bankrupting a club for quick success. If all we can afford is 50m say, let him have it and bring in who he wants within that kind of budget.

Exactly, just give him the cash to build the squad he wants. Without interference.

He gave McClaren not far off 50m iirc (well more accurately the TV money did) so I wouldn't worry if that's the expectation.

Problem is 50m isn't much in this day and age and I doubt it would be enough.