Sports Direct

Guest neesy111
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Simon Bird on the Mirror criticises David Miliband for not signing the Early Daily Motion supporting keeping the name.

http://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/opinion/columnists/simon-bird/Stop-being-a-Twit-Miliband-and-show-your-support-for-St-James-Park-article230299.html

Only problem is Simon Bird has done no research for this article and clearly is unaware that members of the government (i.e. David Miliband and Nick Brown) are prohibited from signing Early Day Motions. Fail.

Letter by Martin Callanan, season ticket holder and North East MEP.

http://www.true-faith.co.uk/tf/features.nsf/0/3466E9079CABCDB080257679005B31DD?OpenDocument

Managing Director

Newcastle United Football Club

St. James' Park

Newcastle-upon-Tyne

NE1 4ST

6th November 2009

I am writing to express my extreme disappointment in Newcastle United Football Club's decision to rename the ground sportsdirect.com@ St James' Park, and to urge you to consider abandoning this ludicrous title, along with plans to sell the naming rights to St. James' Park in the future.

I have been contacted by many constituents who are distressed by the decision to effectively vandalise one of our region's most recognisable landmarks and trample on over one hundred years of tradition for financial gain. As a season ticket holder and lifelong Newcastle fan, I too am appalled that these plans could ever have been conceived.

St. James' Park is a symbol of Newcastle, known throughout Europe. By changing the name - initially to the monstrous sportsdirect.com@ St James' Park - the Club is doing untold damage to its own reputation and that of the surrounding area.

For over a century the fans of Newcastle United have been loyal to the club, celebrated its success and shared the pain of its failures. It is the fans' loyalty and dedication that has built up the Club's good international reputation. Selling the naming rights to the ground risks making the Club, its fans and the City of Newcastle a laughing-stock.

I appreciate the tough measures needed to get the Club back to financial good health, but vandalising the good name of the Club is not the solution. I urge you in the strongest possible terms to reconsider.

Yours sincerely

Martin Callanan MEP

• 2 weeks later...

Peter Beardsley in the match programme "In my opinion, as far as the fans & lot of other people are concerned, St James Park will always be St James Park, full stop, especially for us Geordies. But if we can bring in a substantial amount of money - money which will strengthen the squad & help the Academy  - then its something that has to be looked at"

Funny how any money such as game 39, naming rights i.e selling the soul £££'s is always going to be used for squad building & for things such as pay the box office staff, cleaners, the leccy bill etc.

• 4 weeks later...

So two months on, how many people's lives, matchday experiences, etc. have been made worse by this?

Can honestly say it's made little to no difference, and is still being called St James' Park.

I'd totally forgotten until reading your post.  :lol:

Guest manomush

So two months on, how many people's lives, matchday experiences, etc. have been made worse by this?

Can honestly say it's made little to no difference, and is still being called St James' Park.

I'd totally forgotten until reading your post.  :lol:

the more i think about naming rights to wor ground the more i like it if done right,for e.g northernrock@St James'park.co.uk

I reckon this got put on the back burner as sooner as they realised the backlash it made!

If the reasons for them doing so was as a "showcase"...surely its transpired to be the worst showcase in history!

If I were a marketing director of a company I wouldn't touch it with a bargepole unless you want to pay several million pounds for thousands of less customers???

Also...what happened to the big screen they were promising at SJP to go along with the rebranding???

i'll be honest I'd forgotten its called that, no one anywhere not even in the media calls it that.

That's why I'm surprised Ashley even bothered with the token gesture of naming it as an exercise in putting the rights up for sale.

Nobody - nobody - is going to refer to an established, old stadium with a sponsor's name. This only works with new stadiums.

I'm just amazed that such an allegedly smart businessman didn't realise this and weigh it up against the hassle of pissing of the fans with the futility of it all.

i'll be honest I'd forgotten its called that, no one anywhere not even in the media calls it that.

That's why I'm surprised Ashley even bothered with the token gesture of naming it as an exercise in putting the rights up for sale.

Nobody - nobody - is going to refer to an established, old stadium with a sponsor's name. This only works with new stadiums.

I'm just amazed that such an allegedly smart businessman didn't realise this and weigh it up against the hassle of pissing of the fans with the futility of it all.

:spit:

I think that myth's been busted a while ago now mate