Are you really going to make a stand?

Guest toonlass
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

yes i agree,  fans won't/can't be asked to vote on everything.  We will more than likely get votes to elect a board/president/chairman etc and maybe get a say in stuff like earlier mentioned kit suppliers etc.

Does anybody on here have any idea how this type of set up works in barca and german clubs like Schalke who are supporter owned?

Think they just vote the president in and him and the board make the decisions.  The electees set out a plan(who they will target, how much they will spend) and are voted in accordingly.

Thats what we would have to do to make it work,  fans use their votes to elect board/president for say 1, 2 or 3 yrs terms and the elected board etc are responsible for making the big decisions such as hiring/sacking managers. 

Aye doesn't sound like thats what they are planning though.

Still think its a load of bollocks, how many people are going to invest their retirement money in a bloody football club, you'll never make it back unless we win the premier league or something.  I certainly wouldn't.  I'd like to own part of the club but with 52000 people voting you're not going to get much of a say anyway and also the general consensus amongst most of our fans is bollocks anyway, they'd probably just appoint Keegan and spend all the money on strikers.

You're such a card. Who'd would've thought of using an inaccurate stereotype Sky have perpetuated against there own fans?

I'm just joking about that bit really, is a bit true though, most of my mates talk absoulte bollocks as does my dad, my dad thinks Nicky Butt should start for the experience for example.  ONly people I hear that talk sense really are on here.

:lol: You're taking the piss, aye?

I don't agree with most supporters either. If I had my way i'd have Jonas taken out the back of the training ground and beat with a stick until he learned how to float in a decent cross although i've realised i'm in a minority. I, like you, have also suffered an earbashing at the hands of one of the few Nicky Butt fans still out there (it might've been your Dad. If so tell him he's a c***). Do these experiences mean I'm against fan ownership? No, because I respect the fact that they, like me, have a vested emotional (and if NUST get their way, financial) interest in the club.

I'd much rather disagree with people who I know have put their time and money into this football club over the years rather than a bloated billionaire with no attachment.

Aye, was a slight jest.

I'm not saying I wouldn't have this over Ashley, I just don't think it will work

A) I don't think they'll raise the money.

B) Do any of these people havea  clue about running a 300M investment.

C) We'll make Kneejerk and rash decisions and we'll spend whatever money we raise in the first window.

That's fair enough I suppose. They're all valid reasons to be unsure about any potential fan takeover.

I see it this way - if they don't make enough money then there is no harm done so it's not really something to worry too much about. To combat the last two points I personally would be hoping the fans would elect a President ala Barca. When 'fan ownership' is uttered I think a lot of people assume Paul from Row M suddenly is going to be given the day to day running of the club and that's that. In reality I imagine we'd see a Newcastle fan with the knowledge and personal experience, someone like Barry Moat or Graham Wylie, voted in and given a set term running the club.

Obviously i'm not involved with any of this work so it's all speculation on my part but that's personally how I see it working.

From what it sounds like it does infer that members will all have avote on major decisions. I would be happy with this structure if it was basically run like a normal football club where the Chairman basically makes most of the decisions but is answerable to the board.

Personally I don't think it matters whether the Chairman is from Newcastle either in fact I'd prefer if he wasn't, I'd like someone who has already been a chairman or MD before like David Dein (Dreamworld).  I think a freh perspective would help.

I can't see the 'vote on every issue' thing being workable in the real world. It takes too long. Maybe for stuff such as kit supplier, sponsors, pie and pint prices etc. but not for transfers and the like.

I suppose we'll not know the full details until Monday, possibly later.

Yeah I know day to day decisions wont be made like that but say manager changes will, I just think itll be kneejerktastic tbh, like I said we'll get through so many managers.

Our high management turnover over the past few years was due to mistakes by the board rather than fan pressure.

Robson - Sacked at the wrong time. Majority of fans wanted him to stay.

Souness - Wrong man from the start, played poor football and ruining a top 6 team. Arguable whether the fans played a part.

Roeder - Wrong man again. Fans liked him and sung his name while protesting against Freddy. Sacked at the right time but it was a surprise to most fans.

Big Sam - Came in during the takeover and despite the poor football got very little abuse. Save for the duo within view of the Sky cameras against Liverpool he seemed to be well liked and his name was still being sung come Stoke.

Keegan - We know what happened there.

The thing with voting for a new manager is that they need to want to come to us. I've no doubt we'll have some who'll want Keegan and some Mourinho but lets be realistic, they're never going to get what they want are they?

Still think its a load of bollocks, how many people are going to invest their retirement money in a bloody football club, you'll never make it back unless we win the premier league or something.  I certainly wouldn't.  I'd like to own part of the club but with 52000 people voting you're not going to get much of a say anyway and also the general consensus amongst most of our fans is bollocks anyway, they'd probably just appoint Keegan and spend all the money on strikers.

You're such a card. Who'd would've thought of using an inaccurate stereotype Sky have perpetuated against there own fans?

I'm just joking about that bit really, is a bit true though, most of my mates talk absoulte bollocks as does my dad, my dad thinks Nicky Butt should start for the experience for example.  ONly people I hear that talk sense really are on here.

I don't agree with most supporters either. If I had my way i'd have Jonas taken out the back of the training ground and beat with a stick until he learned how to float in a decent cross although i've realised i'm in a minority. I, like you, have also suffered an earbashing at the hands of one of the few Nicky Butt fans still out there (it might've been your Dad. If so tell him he's a c***). Do these experiences mean I'm against fan ownership? No, because I respect the fact that they, like me, have a vested emotional (and if NUST get their way, financial) interest in the club.

I'd much rather disagree with people who I know have put their time and money into this football club over the years rather than a bloated billionaire with no attachment.

Aye, was a slight jest.

I'm not saying I wouldn't have this over Ashley, I just don't think it will work

C) We'll make Kneejerk and rash decisions and we'll spend whatever money we raise in the first window.

That's fair enough I suppose. They're all valid reasons to be unsure about any potential fan takeover.

I see it this way - if they don't make enough money then there is no harm done so it's not really something to worry too much about. To combat the last two points I personally would be hoping the fans would elect a President ala Barca. When 'fan ownership' is uttered I think a lot of people assume Paul from Row M suddenly is going to be given the day to day running of the club and that's that. In reality I imagine we'd see a Newcastle fan with the knowledge and personal experience, someone like Barry Moat or Graham Wylie, voted in and given a set term running the club.

Obviously i'm not involved with any of this work so it's all speculation on my part but that's personally how I see it working.

From what it sounds like it does infer that members will all have avote on major decisions. I would be happy with this structure if it was basically run like a normal football club where the Chairman basically makes most of the decisions but is answerable to the board.

Personally I don't think it matters whether the Chairman is from Newcastle either in fact I'd prefer if he wasn't, I'd like someone who has already been a chairman or MD before like David Dein (Dreamworld).  I think a freh perspective would help.

I can't see the 'vote on every issue' thing being workable in the real world. It takes too long. Maybe for stuff such as kit supplier, sponsors, pie and pint prices etc. but not for transfers and the like.

Yeah I know day to day decisions wont be made like that but say manager changes will, I just think itll be kneejerktastic tbh, like I said we'll get through so many managers.

Our high management turnover over the past few years was due to mistakes by the board rather than fan pressure.

Souness - Wrong man from the start, played poor football and ruining a top 6 team. Arguable whether the fans played a part.

Roeder - Wrong man again. Fans liked him and sung his name while protesting against Freddy. Sacked at the right time but it was a surprise to most fans.

Big Sam - Came in during the takeover and despite the poor football got very little abuse. Save for the duo within view of the Sky cameras against Liverpool he seemed to be well liked and his name was still being sung come Stoke.

The thing with voting for a new manager is that they need to want to come to us. I've no doubt we'll have some who'll want Keegan and some Mourinho but lets be realistic, they're never going to get what they want are they?

True alot of that was the Board at fault, but I just think itll be chaos if the fans decide on stuff like this.  Who are we to say who to appoint, yes we have a good footballing knowledge mostly but we'd never get to interview them or anything.

Still think its a load of bollocks, how many people are going to invest their retirement money in a bloody football club, you'll never make it back unless we win the premier league or something. I certainly wouldn't. I'd like to own part of the club but with 52000 people voting you're not going to get much of a say anyway and also the general consensus amongst most of our fans is bollocks anyway, they'd probably just appoint Keegan and spend all the money on strikers.

I'm just joking about that bit really, is a bit true though, most of my mates talk absoulte bollocks as does my dad, my dad thinks Nicky Butt should start for the experience for example. ONly people I hear that talk sense really are on here.

Aye, was a slight jest.

B) Do any of these people havea clue about running a 300M investment.

Personally I don't think it matters whether the Chairman is from Newcastle either in fact I'd prefer if he wasn't, I'd like someone who has already been a chairman or MD before like David Dein (Dreamworld). I think a freh perspective would help.

Agree with most of the appraisals but there was huge fan pressure to get rid of Souness for a while before he went and rightly so. It is staggering how many people think that the fans were involved in getting rid of Allardyce.

Aye, was a slight jest.

True alot of that was the Board at fault, but I just think itll be chaos if the fans decide on stuff like this.  Who are we to say who to appoint, yes we have a good footballing knowledge mostly but we'd never get to interview them or anything.

That is why I would personally give the decision to the president and the board. They'd obviously have to take the fans opinions on board for the sake of elections etc. but i'd much rather a decision like that was in the hands of a few individuals who have our blessing.

Aye, was a slight jest.

Agree with most of the appraisals but there was huge fan pressure to get rid of Souness for a while before he went and rightly so. It is staggering how many people think that the fans were involved in getting rid of Allardyce.

The thing with Souness is that while the fans wanted him out we were ignored by the board. Freddy got rid when Freddy wanted to get rid, not because the fans harrassed him.

Aye, was a slight jest.

The thing with Souness is that while the fans wanted him out we were ignored by the board. Freddy got rid when Freddy wanted to get rid, not because the fans harrassed him.

In all honesty I think Fred never sacked a manager when the fans started acting up just did it when it was either untennable or he was ready to.  I remember going mental in a good way when souness was sacked, Fred should never have given him 50m to spend.  If it wasn't for souness we'd be a top 8 team still if we'd got a semi competent manager in.

Aye, was a slight jest.

In all honesty I think Fred never sacked a manager when the fans started acting up just did it when it was either untennable or he was ready to.  I remember going mental in a good way when souness was sacked, Fred should never have given him 50m to spend.  If it wasn't for souness we'd be a top 8 team still if we'd got a semi competent manager in.

You're telling me, I genuinely nearly crashed my fucking car :lol:

Aye, was a slight jest.

Exactly. I just blew my top with some Arsenal fan who claimed he had no sympathy because it was all our own fault, for driving managers out and always demanding Keegan be made manager, and for wanting Shearer to stay in after the summer.  I was at Sam's last game at Stoke, and my last memory of him as Newcastle manager is walking down the tunnel right by the toon fans clapping and getting clapped, after a terrible performance.

Protesting now seems totally illogical (is that a word?). However, it MUST be done.

I'll be honest, last season I wasn't a fan of the protests after Keegan and I had originally cut the board some slack until I knew more about the dealings behind the scene. As naive as that has now proven to have been, it made sense to me at the time - innocent 'til proven guilty I guess.

Now I fast forward a year, I see a paper thin squad of half decent players fighting for OUR cause, I guess in some ways it's cleared alot (but not all) of the dead-wood we had.

Yet since that fast forward, I can't help but feel like I've been "mugged off" by our very own spiv. Statements that quotes were purely a PR exercise and the fact they've admitted to misleading fans has lost them any credibility, even if they did have an extremely tiny amount....if any at all.

That occurence as well as relegation has been more than enough for me to realise - it wasn't just the players not performing, and it wasn't bad business decisions that have lead us to this scenario. A power-mad business man and his cronies is. Since those first protests I can't help but reflect on the last year, and think what if we hadn't have protested - would he still be doing anything possible to fuck us off or would he have steadied the ship a bit more? Would we have stayed up? Would we have a new owner? A new manager? Squad even?

The answers to those questions will never be certain, but I can have a pretty good guess that we'd have hit this moment nevertheless. A business man as mentioned - someone not only involved in business but he's obviously fucking good at it. This is his toy, this is the toy like our action men, when it's had one arm broken - we chuck it to the top shelf, or the back of the cupboard only to get it out again after a long while and throw it about like a worthless bit of plastic. In this sense, Ashley bought his action man, he made it look better - gave it a new set of camouflage kit, he even gave it a few half decent weapons. Then he sold some of his best weapons to make a cheap quid in his very own car boot sale. He broke its arm off and chucked it in the back of his wardrobe - only to get it out again after a few months. He then put it in a bright yellow dress and sent it off on it's way and now he's even trying to call it Barbie. No wonder he can't sell the cunt. He probably just wants to bin it.

FFS, maybe I thought nothing of him selling the best weapons for a quick quid or two but this is going too far now. We've sat back and let him take his toy - our club - our passion - our love and strip it of its dignity for too long. Whether protesting against it fixes the broken arm, puts it back in its Black and White camouflage or keeps it's name of St James' or even Newcastle is almost irrelevant.

But one thing you can look back on, if you do make a stand is that you tried to make that difference. I guess I kind of regret not thinking that before, and while it's not always the answer sometimes making a stand makes the difference. Just like when your Dad glued the arm back on and fixed your beloved toy.

Confused and stupid maybe but it made sense to me.

Time to make a difference out of the ground as well as in it I say.

Guest toonlass

Reading the current article on nufc.com, maybe there right the best way to get rid is hands in pockets time with NUST.

And if you don't have £2,500 sitting around?

Sometimes you have to make a stand whether it achieves the desired aim or not.  I'm no great militant or fan of unions but people protest or strike so they dont get walked over continually.  1m people protesting about recent wars made no difference to the government but it got a lot of attention.  Lets be honest, fans cant keep away from the turnstiles, they cant even stay away from a pre match pint.  The club needs to go on and I think fans have been supporting the team generally. Chanting about Ashley is fair game as is any protests before a match.  My own thoughts would be for those fans remaining in the stands at half time to turn their back on the pitch or something similarly symbollic during a match day.  Cameras and press pick it up and keeps the point going.  Personally dont think there is enough will amongst fans and sadly whether we get promoted or not, things will get much worse before Ashley departs.

Guest kissmyballs

Four small problems.

1) NUST might not raise enough money. It’s hardly a nailed on certainty is it?

2) Even if they did raise enough money what’s to say Ashley wouldn’t tell them to fuck off

3) If we get promoted the asking price will probably double.

4) If NUST’s big idea does goes tits up, what then?

If NUST had formally announced their plans before this weekend’s game we could make an informed judgement on whether or not it did represent a better option than protesting. Unfortunately they’re waiting until next week to provide us with any details, which has only served to add to the confusion Ashley uses to avoid the flack he deserves. By the time we’ve worked out what’s going on it’s always too late. Resolve has turned to despair, determination into a feeling of helplessness.  NUST are playing right into Ashley’s hands.

I don’t see why we can’t open a savings account and protest (putting all your eggs in one basket is rarely a good idea) but I’m not here to try and persuade those who want to turn up at sportsdirect.com@stjamspark tomorrow as if nothing had happened they’ve got it wrong. If they want to do nowt that’s up to them. All I would say is this, if you are angry and feel we should protest, then stay angry and protest. Follow your heart; don’t let some as yet unannounced plan from NUST and a fence sitting online article sway you from doing what you believe to be right.

My two penneth.

I will not be protesting during the game.  I don't believe it will help onfield matters, however I will sing any chants directed at the FCB during the game, however I hope they are kept to a minimum. 

I hope that protests outside happen.  I hope they happen under the milburn right next to where Ashley and cronies will arrive/witness. 

I hope that they don't happen when the players arrive as to be fair, apart from being wank last season, they dont deserve any viterol sent their way as they have done well this so far and look commited.

I personally think the TU's idea of a mass 'sit in' with chants and such after the game is good idea.  Any of the Ashley briggade often stay in the boxes and they would witness fan power in its pureity.

Fuck Mike Ashley, I hope some mad cunt from the west end sets him on fire. 

Guest kissmyballs

My two penneth.

I will not be protesting during the game.  I don't believe it will help onfield matters, however I will sing any chants directed at the FCB during the game, however I hope they are kept to a minimum. 

I hope that protests outside happen.   I hope they happen under the milburn right next to where Ashley and cronies will arrive/witness. 

I hope that they don't happen when the players arrive as to be fair, apart from being w*** last season, they dont deserve any viterol sent their way as they have done well this so far and look commited.

I personally think the TU's idea of a mass 'sit in' with chants and such after the game is good idea.  Any of the Ashley briggade often stay in the boxes and they would witness fan power in its pureity.

f*** Mike Ashley, I hope some mad c*** from the west end sets him on fire. 

:clap:

I’ve never really understood why chants against the owner would negatively affect the team’s performance. They must understand they’re not aimed at them and you’d hope they’d have some sympathy with the fans. The way the club has been run has affected the players too, who knows,  perhaps a few anti Ashley chants might spur them on.

Guest sicko2ndbest

Unleash hell tomorrow boys, give him the lot!

What's plan B then? Hoy the kitchen sink at him?

Would love to pull the plug on him tbh

In all seriousness, all this should we, shouldnt e bollox is exactly that, BOLLOX. Those that want to make a stand against the currupt contemptuous wankers should shout their souls out. Those that want to sit in the back ground will do just that. They are the bandwagon jumpers, if the protest goe well they were there, if it dosnt they werent.

As far as i am concerned those with a long term vision will be there tomorrow cheering the lads on but protesting veciforously before, HT and after the game.

Love to you all, you will choose your own path, and i know the one you choose will have NUFCs best interests at heart as far as your concerned. My long term vision does not involve the fat one being in charge, the sooner the better so we can start our rebuiling process to once again be one of the greats of English football