2010 World Cup - England in group C with USA/Algeria/Slovenia (full draw in OP)

Ketsbaia

See America as very much a Fulham type team. No outstanding individuals but well organised, disciplined and everyone is willing to put in a shift. If you don't treat with the due respect they deserve you will come unstuck much like many a team has against Fulham. Look at the way many NUFC fans were assuming we'd just roll them over last season. But if England prepare properly and turn with the right attitude they should win.

This is a pretty good view on us, mainly because we essentially were Fulham a few years ago. 6 or 7 players on the team in 2008 or something like that.

Someone mentioned your shitty KO times, I could only wish ours were that nice. I'll be waking up at 7:30 for two weeks straight, other times are 10 and 2:30.

Except Fulham had sense enough to drop Bocanegra.

No one else to put in. Most of the time he has a quiet game, without too many mistakes. When we have him at LB it really neutralizes him.

See America as very much a Fulham type team. No outstanding individuals but well organised, disciplined and everyone is willing to put in a shift. If you don't treat with the due respect they deserve you will come unstuck much like many a team has against Fulham. Look at the way many NUFC fans were assuming we'd just roll them over last season. But if England prepare properly and turn with the right attitude they should win.

This is a pretty good view on us, mainly because we essentially were Fulham a few years ago. 6 or 7 players on the team in 2008 or something like that.

Someone mentioned your shitty KO times, I could only wish ours were that nice. I'll be waking up at 7:30 for two weeks straight, other times are 10 and 2:30.

Except Fulham had sense enough to drop Bocanegra.

No one else to put in. Most of the time he has a quiet game, without too many mistakes. When we have him at LB it really neutralizes him.

It's just a really sad statement that we (feel that we) do not have any other options. What does it say about USSoccer, Bob Bradley, and MLS that they haven't developed a better player than Bocanegra--he's been a lock since 2002. And now there's actual talk about bringing Beasely into th squad. DaMarcus Fucking Beasely? Who next? Bobby Convey?  Paper-thin squad. I'm feeling very negative about the Cup.  England is going to rip us a new one. Could see the US repeating the performance of 98-- losing all three matches.

Anyway, sorry for venting.

Beasely has done alright for the US recently - should play on teh wing as he is still fast. I have nothing positive to say about Bocanegra... the US have many players more capable than him but its like Nicky Butt with the whole "He's been there and done that and is a veteran" bullshit. In my view Bocangra has never been a good player but brought some agression to Fulham when they were becoming a bit limp. Like Steven Carr, Bocanegra cheats and plays dangerously to make up for his lack of skill and pace. He is a liability.

Cannot fucking wait for the World Cup. I'm not much of an England fan but fucking love international tournaments. Need to purchase a new tele before it starts for sure.

Cannot f***ing wait for the World Cup. I'm not much of an England fan but f***ing love international tournaments. Need to purchase a new tele before it starts for sure.

Same, absolutely can't wait.

I'll be a sad c*** and try to watch every single game. The whole event is just brilliant, not just the England games.

You also forgot to mention that the US will be one the fittest teams at the WC too.  If there's one thing we do well as Americans it's training and fitness.

Agree, the World Cup is brilliant. I'll watch as much as I can. I'll probably work most of Englands games though, but the atmosphere in the pub will be amazing, so it'll be worth it.

You also forgot to mention that the US will be one the fittest teams at the WC too.  If there's one thing we do well as Americans it's training and fitness.

How's the USNT calendar going to work? Since the MLS will be playing until right before the WC.

How's the USNT calendar going to work? Since the MLS will be playing until right before the WC.

In Sweden, we have to start our league a couple of weeks early so the players (the two or three that will be going :rolleyes:) going to the World Cup will have enough time to prepare. Think it's FIFA's directives that no games can be played after around the 15th of May, would assume the same would go for the MLS.

Yeah, FIFA has forbidden the Spanish FA to hold the Cup final on May 26th because of that (and if Atlético and Sevilla were to make it to their respective European finals - doubtful I know! - we wouldn't have any date for it...). That means that the MLS would be without their internationals for one full month + knockout rounds (the league only stops for the group stage IIRC).

Lampard has consistently outscored and outplayed Gerrard for years. He's not been on top form this season, mostly due to Ancelotti's system but he has 15 goals and 11 assists for Chelsea.

Has he?  He's certainly outscored Gerrard in a number of seasons, of course that's nothing to do with the role he's played within the team or the fact he plays in a far better team.  As for outplayed, you're actually strangely not alone in that assertion, remarkably I've seen the odd other person saying the same, completely baffles me though and always will.  

Lampard has been (Drogba apart) Chelsea's best player for a while though. He's one of the reasons Chelsea are and have been so much better than Liverpool.

Ferdinand on top form would easily get into any side.

I agree, 2 years ago I thought he was the best CB in the world. Is that really relevant anymore though - will he ever reach that form again?

Been so ready for this tournament for years. Since the fall almost my whole day was surrounded by thinking about it. The next few months are going to be great, I'm assuming most of you haven't, but you should check out ESPN's commercials, they have the best campaign for it.

2010:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nXHmTJrPaXQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bWqzenAKy00&NR=1

2006:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y88bokAdLso

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=czLk-zCcJ50&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fCqu8BmJHug&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dqLlGYvis94&NR=1

Every time I see that commercial at the top, I feel like putting on my Nigeria shirt and running around pretending to score the winning goal in the WC final like I did when I was four. I definitely enjoyed 2006, even though we weren't there, but this is a different animal. There is nothing like watching your nation compete in this tournament. There is still a chance I might be in South Africa for this, so I'm even more excited than usual.

I'm sooo much looking forward to the World Cup. I think it's THAT event every 4 years. Just great to watch the games, always special athmosphaere. Can't wait for it to start finaly.

Hope this World Cup will be the same from the fans like the last one in Germany 2006 which was fantastic.

Ah, sweet memories of 2002.

I remember what it was like out on the streets after the matches against Italy and Spain. I live right next to a massive 8-lane road and it was completely filled with people in red going absolutely mental. Traffic was completely fucked over all across the city but nobody cared.

A couple mates of mine were jumping up and down on a car and actually caved the roof in. The crazy thing was, the owner didn't mind! We just apologized, offered to pay for repairs, and everyone went right back to celebrating.

Certainly hoping for some more of this this year. O0

Guest Geordiesned

I've already got the work's World Cup prediction competition ready to send out! Bring it on!

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

Last chance for most of the England squad to win the World Cup. Can't see James, Terry, Ferdinand, Cole, G.Neville, Lampard, Gerrard, Beckham, and Heskey being good enough in 4 years time. Hopefully that's a bit of inspiration for them, but I still think Spain will win it.

I am another one who cant wait, i love the way brings everyone together. Last time it was brilliant, everyone had music blasting out their houses, bbq's, gazeebo's and i love how everyone hangs their England flags out the window. Though this yaer l i''ll be watchin the usa game in zante which should also be brilliant.  :celb: :celb: :celb: :celb: :celb: