Peter Beardsley offers Paul Gascoigne football lifeline at Newcastle United

Thespence

So what's drunk and in charge then? I know a lad that got done for drink driving for sleeping in his stationary car.

That's ridiculous. I can only assume 'drunk in charge' implies that the car was in some way operational.

Voice of experience talking? ;)

So what's drunk and in charge then? I know a lad that got done for drink driving for sleeping in his stationary car.

That's ridiculous. I can only assume 'drunk in charge' implies that the car was in some way operational.

Not really, i wasn't done for being 'drunk in charge'. O0

Guest toonlass

Not really, i wasn't done for being 'drunk in charge'. O0

What were you done for?

I can see why a drink driver would have sympathy with this pathetic individual.

Anyway, arrested again.

Gazza Arrested For Second Time In Two Days

8:58am UK, Tuesday February 09, 2010

Neal Walker, Sky News Online

Sky sources say former England midfielder Paul Gascoigne has been arrested for public order offences, his second arrest in two days.

Durham Police said officers were called to the Blackwell Grange Hotel in Darlington at 8.10pm last night following a report of an ongoing incident.

Two males were arrested and are in custody at Darlington police station.

Former Newcastle and Tottenham Hotspur star Gascoigne was arrested on Sunday evening on suspicion of being drunk in charge of a vehicle.

He was taken into custody after police were called to a disturbance at a takeaway in Leeming Bar, North Yorkshire.

The 42-year-old, who has faced a long battle with alcoholism and depression, and another man were questioned by officers yesterday morning before being released on bail pending further inquiries.

Gascoigne, who was sectioned three times under the Mental Health Act in 2008, has described how, when he hit rock bottom, he was taking cocaine and drinking a litre of gin a day, which left him delusional and afraid to leave his room.

The former England hero, who played at Newcastle, Spurs, Lazio, Rangers, Middlesbrough and in China, went public about his continuing battle with addiction in March last year.

But in December, he was handed a fixed penalty notice for being drunk and disorderly after being arrested in Newcastle.

Anyway, arrested again.

Sky sources say former England midfielder Paul Gascoigne has been arrested for public order offences, his second arrest in two days.

Durham Police said officers were called to the Blackwell Grange Hotel in Darlington at 8.10pm last night following a report of an ongoing incident.

Former Newcastle and Tottenham Hotspur star Gascoigne was arrested on Sunday evening on suspicion of being drunk in charge of a vehicle.

He was taken into custody after police were called to a disturbance at a takeaway in Leeming Bar, North Yorkshire.

The 42-year-old, who has faced a long battle with alcoholism and depression, and another man were questioned by officers yesterday morning before being released on bail pending further inquiries.

Gascoigne, who was sectioned three times under the Mental Health Act in 2008, has described how, when he hit rock bottom, he was taking cocaine and drinking a litre of gin a day, which left him delusional and afraid to leave his room.

The former England hero, who played at Newcastle, Spurs, Lazio, Rangers, Middlesbrough and in China, went public about his continuing battle with addiction in March last year.

But in December, he was handed a fixed penalty notice for being drunk and disorderly after being arrested in Newcastle.

If he's a 'pathetic individual', how good do you look kicking him in the teeth when he's in his present state.

Hmmm... I really don't get the comparison of 'you wouldn't have sympathy if it was the builder down the road'. The builder down the road hasn't been chased by the media for his whole life, had the weight of the nation put upon him by said media and constantly been pushed to act the clown and be the life and soul of the party. Gazza has clearly never been the sharpest tool, but he was gifted with an amazing talent, in an age where the media had just started transforming into the all intrusive animal it now is but sadly just before footballers had their lives set out before them with diet and discipline in all aspects of life rather than a few hours training a day. He had all of the pressure with very little support and it has broken him. How people can wish death and injury upon the guy is just absurd. His alcoholism has developed into a mental illness, he used it to escape overwhelming pressure, incorrectly, and is simply not strong enough to kick out of it. He needs every ounce of help and support he can get and yes, it's likely he will fail, but that still doesn't mean people should just wash their hands of him. Total lack of compassion. He's not malicious, he's been caught up in domestic violence which is absolutely abhorrent but that's not what we're talking about here, we're talking about alcoholism. The reason he's an alcoholic is because he's been under pressure for his entire adult life and was simply unable to deal with it. And he deserves to die for that?

Anyway, arrested again.

You absolute fucking pillock.

Have you ever been involved with someone who has mental health problems?

Do you have ANY idea of people who have mental health problems go through?

Obviously not from your immature replies.

I'm sure some of his actions are self inflicted, but he's surrounded by people or attracts people who only seem too happy to help him on his way to oblivion.

I've bumped into him a couple of times, on both good and bad days, so I've seen both sides to him. He's a great bloke, but he needs serious long term help if he's going to get through the next 10 years or so.

I'm interested in your views on how people with serious mental health problems should be treated, especially when they live their lives being chased around by the media.

Just a note to other people - if you read his book, you'll see that the mental health problems came way before the alcoholism

Guest johnson293

Hmmm... I really don't get the comparison of 'you wouldn't have sympathy if it was the builder down the road'. The builder down the road hasn't been chased by the media for his whole life, had the weight of the nation put upon him by said media and constantly been pushed to act the clown and be the life and soul of the party. Gazza has clearly never been the sharpest tool, but he was gifted with an amazing talent, in an age where the media had just started transforming into the all intrusive animal it now is but sadly just before footballers had their lives set out before them with diet and discipline in all aspects of life rather than a few hours training a day. He had all of the pressure with very little support and it has broken him. How people can wish death and injury upon the guy is just absurd. His alcoholism has developed into a mental illness, he used it to escape overwhelming pressure, incorrectly, and is simply not strong enough to kick out of it. He needs every ounce of help and support he can get and yes, it's likely he will fail, but that still doesn't mean people should just wash their hands of him. Total lack of compassion. He's not malicious, he's been caught up in domestic violence which is absolutely abhorrent but that's not what we're talking about here, we're talking about alcoholism. The reason he's an alcoholic is because he's been under pressure for his entire adult life and was simply unable to deal with it. And he deserves to die for that?

Great Post, well said.  :clap:

Anyway, arrested again.

You absolute f***ing pillock.

I'm sure some of his actions are self inflicted, but he's surrounded by people or attracts people who only seem too happy to help him on his way to oblivion.

I've bumped into him a couple of times, on both good and bad days, so I've seen both sides to him. He's a great bloke, but he needs serious long term help if he's going to get through the next 10 years or so.

I'm interested in your views on how people with serious mental health problems should be treated, especially when they live their lives being chased around by the media.

Just a note to other people - if you read his book, you'll see that the mental health problems came way before the alcoholism

the problem is there are many people like this and because they are average joes and we just say he's a wanker who needs to sort himself out. because gascoigne is a former nufc player and a bit of a lad we are supposed to make extra allowances.

Anyway, arrested again.

the problem is there are many people like this and because they are average joes and we just say he's a wanker who needs to sort himself out. because gascoigne is a former nufc player and a bit of a lad we are supposed to make extra allowances.

But as i said above, that parallel doesn't work - your average joe has had nowhere near the same amount of pressure on him from a young age. Gazza is very much a special case. Yeah, we'd all love to be footballers, but that doesn't mean being someone with Gazza's profile and intellect is easy peasy. We've not been in his situation and tried to live his life so it's incredibly difficult to pass judgment. But I can't begin to comprehend what living with the kind of intrusion he's had to live with since his teens would do to my mental health. Every single mistake under the microscope and every single movement watched. I think anyone with any sociology / psychology experience will tell you it's pretty much proven that this will fuck with a normal person's head, let alone someone of Gazza's disposition.

Also, with regards your average joe, if people are just calling someone 'normal' a wanker who needs to sort his life out and offering no help, then they're pretty rubbish too. I know if I had a close friend who fell into that sort of lifestyle i'd fight every step of the way to help them through it.

Great Post, well said.  :clap:

And fortunately most people agree with this.

Anyway, arrested again.

the problem is there are many people like this and because they are average joes and we just say he's a w***** who needs to sort himself out. because gascoigne is a former nufc player and a bit of a lad we are supposed to make extra allowances.

But as i said above, that parallel doesn't work - your average joe has had nowhere near the same amount of pressure on him from a young age. Gazza is very much a special case. Yeah, we'd all love to be footballers, but that doesn't mean being someone with Gazza's profile and intellect is easy peasy. We've not been in his situation and tried to live his life so it's incredibly difficult to pass judgment. But I can't begin to comprehend what living with the kind of intrusion he's had to live with since his teens would do to my mental health. Every single mistake under the microscope and every single movement watched. I think anyone with any sociology / psychology experience will tell you it's pretty much proven that this will f*** with a normal person's head, let alone someone of Gazza's disposition.

Also, with regards your average joe, if people are just calling someone 'normal' a w***** who needs to sort his life out and offering no help, then they're pretty rubbish too. I know if I had a close friend who fell into that sort of lifestyle i'd fight every step of the way to help them through it.

theres also the possibility that he would have turned out like this anyway as lots with similar backgrounds have without the media intrusion etc. what i was pointing out is that there are many people like that who don't get the sympathy or chances that gascoigne gets.

He may indeed, although i'd argue that there is a far better chance he wouldn't have, but that's a whole different debate into mental health that i definitely don't know enough about!

As for him getting far more chances, that is certainly true, although maybe the issue there is that we should be doing more to help the 'unknowns' rather than less to help the more recognisable mentally ill.

Anyhow, veering rapidly off-topic so i'm going to shut up.

He may indeed, although i'd argue that there is a far better chance he wouldn't have, but that's a whole different debate into mental health that i definitely don't know enough about!

As for him getting far more chances, that is certainly true, although maybe the issue there is that we should be doing more to help the 'unknowns' rather than less to help the more recognisable mentally ill.

Anyhow, veering rapidly off-topic so i'm going to shut up.

Good posts, pl.

The same thing that's stopping him from getting over his addiction, is the same thing that stopped him from being a truly world class footballer.

Sorry mate, but if Gazza wasn't a "world class player" then I'm still waiting to see one.

he was world class but,in my opinion could have gone on to the zidane/ronaldo/figo class

The same thing that's stopping him from getting over his addiction, is the same thing that stopped him from being a truly world class footballer.

Sorry mate, but if Gazza wasn't a "world class player" then I'm still waiting to see one.

he was world class but,in my opinion could have gone on to the zidane/ronaldo/figo class

he was world class for about 5/6 years. up to the cup final against Forest, i dont think he was ever as good again after that.

It's difficult to think of many more impudent yet brilliant goals scored on a huge stage, than Gazzas Euro 96 goal v Scotland. In five seconds, he humiliated one of the Premier Leagues top defenders at the time in Colin Hendry and put the "Tartan Army" firmly in their place.

It's difficult to think of many more impudent yet brilliant goals scored on a huge stage, than Gazzas Euro 96 goal v Scotland. In five seconds, he humiliated one of the Premier Leagues top defenders at the time in Colin Hendry and put the "Tartan Army" firmly in their place.

I dream that goal sometimes. One of the best I ever saw.

He was a great player but never made the last step up in my opinion. Never joined the Zidane's, Pele's etc.

Anyway, arrested again.

You absolute fucking pillock.

You haven't got a clue the life I've lived and what I've dealt with; I know more about it than you can even begin to comprehend you little prick. I hope to god he mows down someone you care about and kills them in his drunken states, let's here your fuking arsewipe opinion on the matter then.  :thup:

But it's Gazza he played football really well and has had it so tough in the spotlight, its not his fault and he deserves 1,000 chances no matter what he does. You fuking mug.

The drunken dickhead saw someone killed in a car accident, you'd think he'd not drink and drive after knowing the effects.  :rolleyes: