Peter Beardsley offers Paul Gascoigne football lifeline at Newcastle United

Thespence

Always thought that it would take someone like Bobby Robson, Pedro or Venables actually seriously taking him under their wing to give him the encouragement and focus to straighten himself out.  He should be able to offer lots in the way of coaching kids, as Pedro can.  Gazza needs to make sure he doesn't blow what should be a dream opportunity for him.  What could be better for him than spending the next 15 years coaching the future stars of NUFC.  I would love to see it last, but Gazza's life is rarely balanced for long.

It's still a crime how underrated Beardsley is by the rest of the country. Every Newcastle supporter should have it drilled into them when they grow up just how good Pedro was.  :sadnod:

I'm 25 and he's my favourite Newcastle player ever.  He is underrated by many though, you're right - mad really as he was a regular for England for many years but that was slightly before my time so I don't know how he performed.

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

He was spotted at the youth game last week collecting the balls, good to see something 'officially' announcing his involvement.

I've love to see a player as good as he was in the England team right now, as you know fine well that when the World Cup comes around when it comes down to it the so-called big players will not show up again when we need them. That was always the one thing when Gazza was on the pitch, you knew he would always want the ball and wouldn't hide from it like Gerrard has done plenty of times for England.

Not stupid enough to compare their ability but I hope Joe Cole is fit for next year, he is one player who doesn't hide and can make things happen in an England shirt.

http://blog.lfe.org.uk/article/training-with-gazza

From Patrick Nzuzi's blog

It’s safe to say this has been the best Monday training session ever! There were only a few of us actually out training because the Reserves had included a number of youngsters in their ranks and while I’d like to have been involved I wouldn’t have missed training today for the world.

Training was taken by Peter Beardsley who introduced us all to Gazza who just dropped in to join in training with us.

We had a game of catch head catch which was really fun and we then went into some small sided games. Here am I almost fresh out of school and I’m training with two legends of the game who have both played more England games than I have youth games as things stand! Unbelievable! Gazza was brilliant, he had us all in hysterics, joking and laughing around but as soon as the training got going he still showed that us that you have to concentrate and apply yourself.

The things that they could both still do on the ball just simply takes your breath away and your left thinking about how good they actually were as players if this is them in retirement! I consider myself privileged and lucky to have been on the same training pitch to learn from two of the greatest Newcastle and England legends.

Tuesday couldn’t really live up to Monday’s billing for obvious reasons and we had a couple of sessions that related to attacking and defending before taking on an afternoon 11 v 11 session which proved a good work out.

On Thursday, we trained with a few of the reserve players. After decent warm up we went into some possession.

It was really good session everyone, everyone was sharp and closing down the ball quickly which it is essential to do in such games and then the session was progressed to bring in some small sided goals. Closing down and working hard for each other is key when you’re playing possession if one of your team doesn’t do the job he is supposed to you end up chasing the ball for a long, long time and subsequently as soon as you do win it back you find that you give it away again cheaply because you’re tired. So when you watch games on TV and you seem teams like Man Utd and Barcelona retaining possession for long periods spare a thought for the players opposing them because it’s a process that gradually wears people down.

On Friday we finished our college work just after 11am and then headed out on to the training pitch where we worked on shape and defending in preparation for our fixture with Leeds Utd.

This week I also had my first interview with Kenny. All the first years get one at some point in the season. It was scary as I didn’t know what he was going to say. However it went down ok, and I was told I had to work on improving my heading.

:kinnear:

WTF is he doing at our club? he can't even txt spk FFS!  :rolleyes:

It's still a crime how underrated Beardsley is by the rest of the country. Every Newcastle supporter should have it drilled into them when they grow up just how good Pedro was.  :sadnod:

I'm 25 and he's my favourite Newcastle player ever.  He is underrated by many though, you're right - mad really as he was a regular for England for many years but that was slightly before my time so I don't know how he performed.

Very highly rated at Liverpool though I have to suffer with Liverpool TV here in Beijing and they still talk about Beardo as if he was a god.

this is hilarious. everyone squeals about jobs for the boys but seem happy for gazza to be involved and as an aside i've heard a lot more bad than good about beardsleys coaching. what they had you couldn't teach. wharton,beardsley,gazza......the croneyism everyone is supposed to want rid of.

Best player I've ever seen for us and I only have experience of him under KK. He must have been utterly brilliant in his prime, what a talent. Criminally underrated.

this is hilarious. everyone squeals about jobs for the boys but seem happy for gazza to be involved and as an aside i've heard a lot more bad than good about beardsleys coaching. what they had you couldn't teach. wharton,beardsley,gazza......the croneyism everyone is supposed to want rid of.

Jobs for boys as far as I can tell has only been complained about when they've had no obvious role i.e. terry mac did fuck all as far as anyone could tell. Who's told you beardo isn't a good coach? Girl 1 going through the system?

Jobs for boys as far as I can tell has only been complained about when they've had no obvious role i.e. terry mac did f*** all as far as anyone could tell. Who's told you beardo isn't a good coach? Girl 1 going through the system?

the beardsley stories have been around since the days of terry macs sons time at the club and his reputation hasn't got better. terry macs role was to be the middle man between manager and players. in the training sessions i saw he spent more time individually with players than keegan did.

Best player I've ever seen for us and I only have experience of him under KK. He must have been utterly brilliant in his prime, what a talent. Criminally underrated.

My sentiments exactly, would loved to have seen him in the 80's. Started going to the games just in time to see all of his second spell.

I don't particularly care whether it's at Newcastle or not, but I'd really like to see the lad sort his head out somehow. I get the impression that he really needs people around him, and a structure, so insofar as the club can provide a job and be some kind of family for him, that's a good thing... as long as he's giving something worthwhile back. Our youth set-up should not exist for the benefit of the old players it employs. Quite the reverse.

It's a tragedy, really, the Gazza story. I don't think he was underrated at all. He never managed to truly live up to his enormous talent, and everyone knows that. Including him.

This isn't about "jobs for the boys", it's about helping someone who actually needs help.

It's part and parcel of the game that every club promotes themselves by referring to former great players.

This isn't about "jobs for the boys", it's about helping someone who actually needs help.

So we're getting him on board for his sake, rather than ours?

the boot room culture was terrible at Liverpool, when they were winning the european cup and league.