The Arsenal

Guest BooBoo

...who'll make mistakes this year, such as Sunday. Will be good given experience but he doesn't have experience. He'll cost them points this year.

Every keeper makes mistakes. He's one of the better keepers in the league, come on a lot since he's broken into the first team.

...who'll make mistakes this year, such as Sunday. Will be good given experience but he doesn't have experience. He'll cost them points this year.

Every keeper makes mistakes. He's one of the better keepers in the league, come on a lot since he's broken into the first team.

You just said he's 'decent'.

Cech doesn't, well apart from the 7-8 uncharacterisitic mistakes he makes every season but they're uncharacteristic.

You just said he's 'decent'.

I didn't feel the need to say he was more than decent as it was in reply to "Wish you'd buy a decent keeper." Also, if you want to get picky like that, you said "Wish you'd buy a decent keeper" then agreed with me in your next post that he is decent... :lol:

Aye, saying a keeper will make mistakes is a pointless arguement. He's easily good enough for Arsenal, it's the least of their worries at the moment.

I think he's a quite good keeper, Neil. Tim Howard will cost you points. Cech, Reina, and Friedel will cost their respective teams points. This is a specialty of goalkeepers. I think he's equivalent to most of the other keepers at the competitive clubs. Underrated because of his youth.

Arsenal would currently be much better off having a good, experienced keeper like Shay Given. This position has been ignored and was somewhere Arsenal should have strengthened.

Unless we were going to spend £20m on Neuer or Reina there was no need to sign an okay keeper like Given. Szczesny is fine.

I do feel like we missed out on Stekelenburg though for just £6m!

Would say Given is a lot better than 'OK', considering the shite Arsenal have put up with over the years.

Unless we were going to spend £20m on Neuer or Reina there was no need to sign an okay keeper like Given. Szczesny is fine.

I do feel like we missed out on Stekelenburg though for just £6m!

Would say Given is a lot better than 'OK', considering the shite Arsenal have put up with over the years.

Perhaps OK was a little harsh and if we were stuck with Almunia of course I would bite his hand off but since we have Szczesny I just don't see the point of a player of a similar calibre just because he has experience.

Shay Given is quite overrated IMO.

Granted maybe not the ideal one for them but my general point is IMO Sczezny will cost them quite a few points this year and they failed to get in a good, experienced keeper. Yes, he needs to gain experience some way but I think he's being unfairly relied upon in a team that looks to be going backwards (though will be interesting to see how Arteta, Mertesacker, Santos and PCY do).

Come on man, Given would be a massive improvement on Chesney, they aren't on a similar level at all.

In terms of allround goalkeeping Given has always been overrated. Fantastic shotstopper but for a large period of time when he was at his best he had a shambolic defence infront of him which exaggerated his quality. Which begs the further question were the frailties in defence not only exaggerating his ability, but was he a large part of the reason they looked such a shambles in the first place... ie in terms of his command of the defence, aerial ability, anticipation, being able to instill confidence, distribution etc.

He was a great servant to the club and certainly above average in terms of the Premier League, but I think it speaks volumes that despite his reputation as one of the very best not once did a top club come in for him.

I actually think Krul has the potential to far outstrip Given. Szczesny, too.

I would never claim he's never been over-rated slightly, like you say, many aspects of goalkeeping are completely looked over if that keeper can stop a shot, but along with positioning and decision making it's probably the most important.

I don't realy know how good Szczesny's kicking is, or how well he can sort out his wall, but Given would save Arsenal more goals than Chez in the coming seasons imo, the rest of there game is debateable.

That been said I wouldn't exactly say Arsenal should replace him like, just disagree with Gash's comment on them been of similar calibre.

I would never claim he's never been over-rated slightly, like you say, many aspects of goalkeeping are completely looked over if that keeper can stop a shot, but along with positioning and decision making it's probably the most important.

I don't realy know how good Szczesny's kicking is, or how well he can sort out his wall, but Given would save Arsenal more goals than Chez in the coming seasons imo, the rest of there game is debateable.

That been said I wouldn't exactly say Arsenal should replace him like, just disagree with Gash's comment on them been of similar calibre.

You can't really say that though, as you've just said you don't really know how good Szczesny is.

I said I never realy knew how good he's kicking was, or how well he sorts out his wall. I don't exactly sit and study every aspect of every goalkeeper in the league and make notes of there every strengh and weakness, or the colour changes in there piss or anything like.

I also said it was my opinion, never stated it as fact or anything, absolutely nobody on the planet could make such a statement as absolute fact :lol:

Some new bodies for the Arse but four suspensions already this season would be my major concern. They've got to stop spitting the dummy.

remember the early wenger arsenal?  fucking horrible set of cunts, but winners

time to return to cuntishness for them i'd imagine...