The Arsenal

Guest BooBoo

I honestly think some of the youngsters Arsenal have got are going to be top class players, the likes of Ramsey, Szczęsny and Wilshere are well on the way there. Then they've got the likes of Chamberlain, Miyachi, Frimpong, Jenkinson and Joel Campbell (when he gets a work permit) who are look to have massive potential.

The only problem is the fact that Wenger doesn't have the right blend of youth and experience. I'm all for focusing on youth, but Wenger seems to have went too far with this. It may well be a financial thing, but we don't know this.

Look at when Man Utd won the league with Beckham, Scholes the Nevilles & Butt. They were all around the same age (or maybe slightly older, so slightly more developed than the names I've mentioned), but that Man Utd team also had Schmeichel, Bruce, Pallister, Dennis Irwin, Cantona, Cole & Keane. So Ferguson was able to play his young players, without them having to shoulder the burden of responsibility, as he already had a team full of winners.

That's where Wenger's got it wrong.

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

I honestly think some of the youngsters Arsenal have got are going to be top class players, the likes of Ramsey, Szczęsny and Wilshere are well on the way there. Then they've got the likes of Chamberlain, Miyachi, Frimpong, Jenkinson and Joel Campbell (when he gets a work permit) who are look to have massive potential.

The only problem is the fact that Wenger doesn't have the right blend of youth and experience. I'm all for focusing on youth, but Wenger seems to have went too far with this. It may well be a financial thing, but we don't know this.

Look at when Man Utd won the league with Beckham, Scholes the Nevilles & Butt. They were all around the same age (or maybe slightly older, so slightly more developed than the names I've mentioned), but that Man Utd team also had Schmeichel, Bruce, Pallister, Dennis Irwin, Cantona, Cole & Keane. So Ferguson was able to play his young players, without them having to shoulder the burden of responsibility, as he already had a team full of winners.

That's where Wenger's got it wrong.

No leaders.

No resolve.

The current table would look less wierd if we switched places with Arsenal. 17th with one point and a -8 goal difference... faaaackin 'ell.

I think it goes beyond the lack of leadership and resolve something else is wrong. It has to be some sort fo psychological thing. Ever since the 4-4 the whole team is waiting for the other shoe to drop in *every* game. The pressure is there on Arsene and its totally corrupted the players.

Don't know if Wenger himself had got it wrong, the late departures of Cesc and Nasri has absolutely destroyed his team and his plans.  His teams were built around these 2 right? 

They were yes. However, in the last 5 years he's lost the likes of Lehman, Campbell, Lauren, Cole, Bergkamp, Henry, Pires, Ljungberg and Vieira. Who were all vastly experienced players, with that winning mentality. Ferguson's a master of keeping that mentality in his teams, something which Wenger has failed to do since they last won a trophy. (Which has coincided with Bergkamp retiring)

Then again, look at what he managed to do to with Arsenal after they got hammered 6-2 at Old Trafford with the likes of Stepanovs playing.

Am I right in thinking that, when he took over, obviously he had 'the' back 5 as a fantastically solid foundation to build on. Then, when he built his 'Invincibles' team of later years, the likes of Viera, Henry had come into the team while they were around. This provided a good transition after those guys all passed their peaks and left over a couple of years. Viera/Henry etc were then able to carry the mantle as the wise heads for the 'Invincibles' team.

They just don't seem to have that now. Whereas Ferguson can mould a new generation around the old generation and produce a near seamless transition, that seems to be where Wenger's failed.

Don't know if Wenger himself had got it wrong, the late departures of Cesc and Nasri has absolutely destroyed his team and his plans.  His teams were built around these 2 right? 

They were yes. However, in the last 5 years he's lost the likes of Lehman, Campbell, Lauren, Cole, Bergkamp, Henry, Pires, Ljungberg and Vieira. Who were all vastly experienced players, with that winning mentality. Ferguson's a master of keeping that mentality in his teams, something which Wenger has failed to do since they last won a trophy. (Which has coincided with Bergkamp retiring)

Then again, look at what he managed to do to with Arsenal after they got hammered 6-2 at Old Trafford with the likes of Stepanovs playing.

He's not been able to replace the "decling" leaders with new gems of talent who shoulder the responsibility, and you're 100% right. 

So is it the fact that WENGER won't sign new players and his complex wage structure or is the Board being tight behind the scenes?  All accounts is Wenger, no?

Guest sydneycove

I dont know why Wenger didn't  just go out and bring in Rakitic when it became obvious last season that Cesc was going. Instead the kid has ended up at Sevilla.

Then there is Canales now out on loan to Valencia and Moussa Sissoko.

Or if he really wants to be productive sign Rossi farken.

He's not been able to replace the "decling" leaders with new gems of talent who shoulder the responsibility, and you're 100% right. 

So is it the fact that WENGER won't sign new players and his complex wage structure or is the Board being tight behind the scenes?  All accounts is Wenger, no?

I still fail to believe that this theory that the board won't release money. This transfer policy's gone on for a good few years now, every year the board saying there's money available, every year Wenger saying he believes in his philosophy. If that wasn't true, and it really was the board turning to Wenger and saying 'you can live within this pathetic budget mate, deal with it', there's no way it would've been kept for secret this long. Complete opinion on my part of course, there's no one who can say for definite except those involved in the running of the club.

I still fail to believe that this theory that the board won't release money. This transfer policy's gone on for a good few years now, every year the board saying there's money available, every year Wenger saying he believes in his philosophy. If that wasn't true, and it really was the board turning to Wenger and saying 'you can live within this pathetic budget mate, deal with it', there's no way it would've been kept for secret this long. Complete opinion on my part of course, there's no one who can say for definite except those involved in the running of the club.

I'm thinking the money is there, but AW is abs. t!t with money and his philosophy.  I think its backfired as soon as Cesc and Nasri have gone - he seems to have no plan B.

Its compelling and extremely interesting to see all this turmoil surrounding him and the club.  Interesting to see how their season turns, esp if they make no splash in the market next few days.

I hope he brings some players in and they can still mount a half-decent fight for the title. Simply because of Wenger's philosophy, and it would be fantastic for football to show that you can compete with a team like Man City and their infinite amount of money.

Probably a Giggs:

Arsenal offer free tickets to fans after Man Utd thrashing

Arsenal are offering to compensate fans who travelled to Sunday's 8-2 thrashing by Manchester United with a free ticket to a future away match.

The Gunners conceded eight goals for the first time since 1896 in the embarrassing reverse at Old Trafford.

A club statement said: "Sunday's result was obviously disappointing for everyone connected with the club.

"Our travelling fans were magnificent throughout and we want to recognise their fantastic support."

The club will be writing to fans with more details of the offer.

Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger said he felt humilated by the crushing defeat, which left the Gunners with just one point from their opening three games of the Premier League season.

Beset by injuries, suspensions and the sales of Cesc Fabregas and Samir Nasri, Wenger is under pressure to sign reinforcements before the transfer window shuts at 2300 BST on Wednesday.

The move to compensate fans follows a similar act by Wigan, whose players clubbed together to refund the costs of every away fan who travelled to Tottenham to see their team hammered 9-1 at White Hart Lane two years ago.

German side Energie Cottbus refunded 600 fans the cost of a trip to Schalke after seeing their team lose 4-0 in what the club described as a "pitiful performance".