The Arsenal

Guest BooBoo

Arsenals kids looked pretty good yesterday. Frimpong despite a stupid haircut and a rash challenge looked real good, and the defender Miquel who was rushed on looked good too.  Would love to have youth depth like that in our club

Rumour has it that Bolton have enquired about Miquel and Crewe...

Frimpong is very good, everybody I have spoken to since the game yesterday (rash tackle aside) have been raving about him!

Yep, all he needs is to get rid of thte stupid haircut and he would be quite the player.  He showed some real skill yesterday (and then Ballsed it all up with a stupid challenge when riding a yellow. And that efirst yellow was so pointless....not sure what he was trying to do there)

He could do with changing his name as well. Frimpong is not a name for a top footballer.

I think this wages stuff is a poor excuse. Management's about cutting your cloth accordingly, and excellent team/squad players can be found for sums far lower than Arsenal can offer - as we've proven, frankly. If the story is as it stands for the sake of argument, Wenger's just upset he can't buy his way to an even bigger set of flat-track bullies to make up for his inadequate man-handling/tactical abilities. I'm in the camp that think he's lost the plot and should have moved elsewhere for his own sake a long time ago. One of the ironies of it all is that performance they put in against Barcelona - a one off tie for high stakes and he shut up shop and acted just like all the teams he's previously dismissed as being against football's spirit, and squandered a decade's worth of preaching in the process.

Sick of hearing about "poor Arsenal" or "belegered Arsenal."  Yeah, those long suffering Arsenal fans, must be hell for them.  Also see Liverpool last season.

Aye, the 'poor, suffering fans' thing is OTT. But it always interests me as to how many people on here say that they'd be more than happy if we were at the level Arsenal are at. Which I feel is a pile of rubbish.

Right now, as an average, mid-table team, of course we'd be glad to be where we are. But, if we'd been up there for nigh-on 15 years, and we were slipping away slowly as our manager was too stubborn to spend cash on a few established players for a few big bucks, would we really be happy? Did we not have quite a few fans who got on the manager and team's back because we went from finishing 4th to 5th near the end of Sir Bobby's stint?

If Wenger pulls it out of the bag and re-builds the team with the Fabregas and Nasri money then fair play.But I, myself, can't grumble at Arsenal fans who are starting to show a bit of discontent as they watch their club seemingly slip away from the top dogs of the PL.

Sick of hearing about "poor Arsenal" or "belegered Arsenal."  Yeah, those long suffering Arsenal fans, must be hell for them.  Also see Liverpool last season.

Aye, the 'poor, suffering fans' thing is OTT. But it always interests me as to how many people on here say that they'd be more than happy if we were at the level Arsenal are at. Which I feel is a pile of rubbish.

Right now, as an average, mid-table team, of course we'd be glad to be where we are. But, if we'd been up there for nigh-on 15 years, and we were slipping away slowly as our manager was too stubborn to spend cash on a few established players for a few big bucks, would we really be happy? Did we not have quite a few fans who got on the manager and team's back because we went from finishing 4th to 5th near the end of Sir Bobby's stint?

If Wenger pulls it out of the bag and re-builds the team with the Fabregas and Nasri money then fair play.But I, myself, can't grumble at Arsenal fans who are starting to show a bit of discontent as they watch their club seemingly slip away from the top dogs of the PL.

Wholeheartedly agree.

I'm inclined to think that the article has some substance. It makes more sense to spend money on making your wage structure more competitive and therefore keeping players like Nasri, than to fork out a lot on transfer fees for players who aren't better than the ones you've got, or can develop through your own youth system.

This seems to be the strategy we're following ie looking for bargains among players nearing the end of their contracts or with buy-out clauses, and paying them a competitive rate. With freedom of contract, salaries rather than transfer fees swallow up the money. Like Arsenal, we're also hoping to develop our young players.

Everything is relative. For a team who have had the players they have had, and the funds they've had seemingly available, not to win a trophy in 6 years now? Yes, I can see why some Arsenal fans are annoyed.

A big one for them now is the danger of slipping out of the top four. The drop in income from losing CL football makes it much more difficult to get back in. Harder to attract top four level players too, esp. from overseas where you can get them cheaper and are allowed to shop if you have already have English players like Wilshere, Ramsey, Walcott, Gibbs, etc.

1. Once the wages of certain players go up, the rest will want to follow, so the leap is actually huge: the kind of increases the article mentions would double their expenditure on wages.

2. You also get into a situation in which players who are no longer wanted are more likely to sit on their contracts rather than moving if they are surplus to requirements. Once a player has failed in a top5 club, they aren't easy to move on to anyone willing to match their wages. Unless you are being 'bankrolled', either by an investor or short term loans, this is unsustainable. Transfer fees in general also get lower, because the total value of a transfer to a club (as we sadly learn under Mike's regime) is wages + fee, and if wages need to increase, fee goes down. 

3. If you go for it anyway, even in the best case, you end up in a 5 horse race for the title, where you compete with other teams who have the same strategy as you.

A quick aside, I think they will be better this season than last. In the three games I've seen, the first touch they are taking is now forward and they look to release the ball quickly. Last season it was always sideways and they were rather ponderous, moving the ball left to right rather than forward. Their way of playing had become a bit staid.

Arsène on Aug 9th: "Imagine the worst situation, we lose Cesc and Nasri, you can't convince people that you are ambitious after that."

:lol: that is up there with his finer moments including

"We could have [gone for van Nistlerooy] but we have gone for more of a fox in the box[Jeffers]"

and

"He[Rosicky] is out for a matter of weeks not months" later went on to be out for 18 months.

Time to show us ambition Arsene.

"Imagine the worst situation—we lose Fabregas and Nasri—you cannot convince people you are ambitious after that,"

"I believe for us it is important the message we give out. For example, you talk about Fabregas leaving, Nasri leaving.

"If you give that message out, you cannot pretend you are a big club, because a big club first of all holds onto its big players and gives a message out to all the other big clubs that they just cannot come in and take away from you.

"We worked very hard with these players for years to develop them, and now it's a time for us to keep them together."

Arsenal no longer a big club...

I've completely lost it, my face is actually hurting. There's this lad I went to school with who started supporting Arsenal in the glory years. He uploaded a picture on Facebook of him burning a Clichy shirt when he was sold:

http://a6.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/269717_10150234886719142_669334141_7483225_472736_n.jpg

Just now, he's uploaded one of him burning a Nasri shirt:

http://a1.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc7/296543_10150276074424142_669334141_7910227_5339912_n.jpg

I literally can't stop laughing. The sheer conviction in his eyes man, such an intense character.

I can't imagine myself to ever stop fucking laughing at this. :lol:

Guest reefatoon

I've completely lost it, my face is actually hurting. There's this lad I went to school with who started supporting Arsenal in the glory years. He uploaded a picture on Facebook of him burning a Clichy shirt when he was sold:

http://a6.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/269717_10150234886719142_669334141_7483225_472736_n.jpg

http://a1.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc7/296543_10150276074424142_669334141_7910227_5339912_n.jpg

I literally can't stop laughing. The sheer conviction in his eyes man, such an intense character.

I can't imagine myself to ever stop f***ing laughing at this. :lol:

fucking hell, did he have an Arsenal top with evey players name on it?

I can't imagine myself to ever stop f***ing laughing at this. :lol:

fucking hell, did he have an Arsenal top with evey players name on it?

No idea. :lol: So funny man. I don't know if you have to know the lad to find it this funny but i've completely fucking lost it here. The initial burning of the Clichy shirt was funny enough. :lol:

Guarantee he bought each top for the sole purpose. :lol: Can imagine the shop workers' faces as he asks for Clichy/Nasri on the day they got sold.

He doesn't exactly look like the most mentally advanced though tbf, like. That second picture he looks the definition of a secluded tribesman who's just noticed the moon for the first time.