The Arsenal

Guest BooBoo

Ramsey completed 90 passes last night. That's outstanding.

Only saw the first half but he played about 30 sideways passes in that time. Think he's a good player but not totally convinced he's going to be top drawer like Wilshere.

There's nothing wrong with playing sideways passes, as long as they have a purpose to keep the game flowing. Watch Xavi play, he plays loads of sideways passes each match.

There's a great article in one of the issues of the Blizzard about the very same thing.

I know, but completed passes and possession often doesn't show the whole story, in the half I watched Arsenal had had 60% of possession yet Udinese looked much more threatening. There's nothing wrong with it if it's necessary and there's nothing on, but I've noticed in their games this season that he slows the game down too much and spends too long on the ball which leads to the other team getting behind the ball. Noticed it against us especially and also against Liverpool.

Xavi plays in a team and league that plays a slower tempo, it's just not suited to the Premiership.

I thought Ramsey was fantastic last night.

Also Xavi and Barca dictate the tempo however they like, when they up the pace they rip teams apart at will. The games against Arsenal and Man U in recent years being prime examples, just couldn't keep up.

Ramsey completed 90 passes last night. That's outstanding.

Only saw the first half but he played about 30 sideways passes in that time. Think he's a good player but not totally convinced he's going to be top drawer like Wilshere.

There's nothing wrong with playing sideways passes, as long as they have a purpose to keep the game flowing. Watch Xavi play, he plays loads of sideways passes each match.

There's a great article in one of the issues of the Blizzard about the very same thing.

I know, but completed passes and possession often doesn't show the whole story, in the half I watched Arsenal had had 60% of possession yet Udinese looked much more threatening. There's nothing wrong with it if it's necessary and there's nothing on, but I've noticed in their games this season that he slows the game down too much and spends too long on the ball which leads to the other team getting behind the ball. Noticed it against us especially and also against Liverpool.

Xavi plays in a team and league that plays a slower tempo, it's just not suited to the Premiership.

I wouldn't say Barca play at a slower tempo. They do at times, but generally when they play their tempo is played at quite a high intensity.

Yep. Remember their game against Arsenal a couple of years ago (the one where Zlatan scored twice), that first half they were relentlessly attacking them from the get-go. It was almost embarrassing.

Try telling the players that spend all game chasing shadows and have opposition in their faces the moment they get the ball that Barca's game is slow paced.

Yep. Remember their game against Arsenal a couple of years ago (the one where Zlatan scored twice), that first half they were relentlessly attacking them from the get-go. It was almost embarrassing.

Try telling the players that spend all game chasing shadows and have opposition in their faces the moment they get the ball that Barca's game is slow paced.

It's the usual cliché bingo about English and Spanish football isn't it?

I remember Jermaine Pennant saying when he played for Zaragoza against Barca, that is was the most he's ever had to run in a game. He said he could barely breathe after about 60 minutes.

Do you watch them? It's their ability on the ball and movement which makes them so good. Their game is generally slow paced up till the final third, it's not a criticism. Keep up the condescending tone though if it makes you feel better.

Not sure why this has turned into this debate. Comparing Ramsey and Arsenal to Xavi and Barca is pointless because Barca are far and away the best team in the world. Copying the system they use doesn't mean it works for everyone.

It's the usual cliché bingo about English and Spanish football isn't it?

I remember Jermaine Pennant saying when he played for Zaragoza against Barca, that is was the most he's ever had to run in a game. He said he could barely breathe after about 60 minutes.

That's because they are always moving, dragging their marker around, not the tempo. (imo)

Out of interest who would you say plays a faster tempo of game? I'd say Man U at their best and the Chelsea of a couple of seasons ago, but for 90% of last season they were about as slow and laborious as physically possible for a team with their quality of players - especially Chelsea.

Man U looked great the other night, mind.

Out of interest who would you say plays a faster tempo of game? I'd say Man U at their best and the Chelsea of a couple of seasons ago, but for 90% of last season they were about as slow and laborious as physically possible for a team with their quality of players - especially Chelsea.

Man U looked great the other night, mind.

Yeah, Man Utd have always been the benchmark for a quick tempo game, agree that Monday they looked a lot sharper and quicker last season, probably down to the much younger team. I find that the most entertaining type of football to watch personally. It's why I loved us so much under Bobby, played a high pace game similar to Man Utd.

I think in general a lot of English teams play a higher tempo atm, though last season the top sides were the worst they've been for a while imo. Spurs for example play high tempo too. It doesn't mean a higher tempo is any better in any way, I think that's where there's an issue in the debate, it's just an observation, look at Blackpool last season who played too quickly and got caught out because of it.

Really promising keeper they have in Szczęsny.

He looks promising, sure. But he'll make mistakes this season because he's young.

Still, mental strength and all that, ey, Arsene?

Actually we look to play high-tempo football unless we want to calm the game down. Pep has always said he aims to play high tempo passes to make the opposition run and tire them, and make them lose their positioning. It doesn't always work, of course.

Real Madrid have always played high-tempo football, too. And Athletic.

Guest Howaythetoon

I thought Arsenal were brilliant last night and showed that when on their game they are almost unplayable. That said I think they have no plan B and that is what effects their game because their plan A doesn't always work not just every week but during 90 minutes. I noticed the commentator saying Gervinho wasn't an identikit Arsenal player and I couldn't agree more, they need more players like him who can run with the ball, be a bit different, someone who can mix it up. If they can add to the spine and keep van Persie fit who is a fantastic player, they will be alright. If they don't though and others around them strengthen before the window shuts even further, they could well drop out of the top 5 even never mind top 4 which would be disasterous for them. I think Wenger doesn't have long left at Arsenal either unless he wins something, a cup will do probably. My brother in law is a season ticket holder and wants to see Wenger move up stairs and Owen Coyle brought in along with Cahill. He also wants Arsenal to break the bank for Jagielka and Baines at Everton. That's probably the type of players Arsenal need and not another forigener. Ramsey is class by the way, loving the new class of midfielder emerging in such players as him and Wilshire.

I thought Arsenal were brilliant last night and showed that when on their game they are almost unplayable. That said I think they have no plan B and that is what effects their game because their plan A doesn't always work not just every week but during 90 minutes. I noticed the commentator saying Gervinho wasn't an identikit Arsenal player and I couldn't agree more, they need more players like him who can run with the ball, be a bit different, someone who can mix it up. If they can add to the spine and keep van Persie fit who is a fantastic player, they will be alright. If they don't though and others around them strengthen before the window shuts even further, they could well drop out of the top 5 even never mind top 4 which would be disasterous for them. I think Wenger doesn't have long left at Arsenal either unless he wins something, a cup will do probably. My brother in law is a season ticket holder and wants to see Wenger move up stairs and Owen Coyle brought in along with Cahill. He also wants Arsenal to break the bank for Jagielka and Baines at Everton. That's probably the type of players Arsenal need and not another forigener. Ramsey is class by the way, loving the new class of midfielder emerging in such players as him and Wilshire.

I don't watch much of Bolton to be honest but I've seen a few articles recently showing Coyle plays as much long ball football at Bolton as his predecessors.  Don't think he'd fit in at Arsenal at all.

Wenger has already recommended his successor I think, some Serbian(?) bloke whose managing in Japan.

I don't watch much of Bolton to be honest but I've seen a few articles recently showing Coyle plays as much long ball football at Bolton as his predecessors.  Don't think he'd fit in at Arsenal at all.

Wenger has already recommended his successor I think, some Serbian(?) bloke whose managing in Japan.

Stoijkovic was it?

Stoijkovic was it?

Yeah, that sounds right?  At Grampus or something?