Michael Owen (now retired)

Keefaz

One a scale of 1-5, how excited are you for Michael Owen on TV every week?  

648 members have voted

1. 1. One a scale of 1-5, how excited are you for Michael Owen on TV every week?

• I envy the deaf.

My workmate (a Liverpool fan) told me today that he had a framed shirt signed by Michael Owen which was worth £450. When Owen left Liverpool, that frame was smashed to bits

If I were him, I'd be more angry at myself for throwing away £450. :lol:

A few years back when Owen was still at Liverpool, I was in this supermarket in Silicon Valley and there was this bratty little kid running around annoying everyone. His Scouser father (wearing a replica jersey) was shouting after him "Owen, Owen..."  He smiled at me and explained that the kid was named after Michael Owen, "England's striker."  I pretended I didn't know what he was talking about.

Every once and I while when I need a good laugh, I think about that guy-- naming his son after Michael Owen.  :lol:

Man Utd fans I know seem to love the cunt.

Who?!

Hope Froggy isn't one of them...

I'm not. I don't really despise him either. He was signed for nowt on a pay as you play deal and scored one of the most memorable goals in the Premier League for me. A few important equalisers. Hat trick in Europe. Scored in Carling Cup final (then pulled his hammy). He didn't do too bad for us.

Like I said before though, I had no emotion at all in regards to his retirement.

They also love Alan Smith.

Wouldn't say love but he worked his arse off for the team, scored a few crackers and didn't complain when Fergie tried to retrain him as an anchorman. Had a horrific injury and worked hard to come back from it and once he did he was asked to be a forward again. I was delighted for him when he scored that goal against Roma in the CL. He deserved it.

We are very appreciative of Smiths' efforts as a Manchester United player.

Man Utd fans I know seem to love the cunt.

They're Irish, though, mate. Don't think it counts.

:wat:

Man Utd. fans seem to like him.

L'pool fans don't because he left on bad terms. He did and won a lot while at the club.

We hate him because he summed up the worst aspects of our club at a time. Was also terrible when we really needed him, made worse that he was captain.

Barely played since then.

Guest TheGreatBeardo

I don't understand why the press seem to love him so much. It's not like he gives riveting interviews, there can barely be a handful of more boring people on the planet.

I think some words are - although understandably - very harsh on him.

Had he been fit for more of his NUFC career he would have been a Toon legend now, probably still playing here. Who knows?

Luck wasn't on his side and his performances in the 2nd half of the relegation season were dreadfull and he clearly didn't look committed enough to the cause.

Saying that, again, had he score that goal against David James against Portsmouth in our 2nd last (?) home game that season, he would have been the hero.

Quite clearly, all he really ever cared about what playing for England, not Newcastle, despite picking up his wages here and not just a few pounds a day. That's what really makes me/made me angry because that's obviously why the 2006 WC injury happened that made his career go down so quick, so much.

Well yes, maybe if he'd arrived at a time of glory and stayed fit he'd have been popular. Him and Shearer banging them in 5 years earlier and I'm sure we'd think of him differently. But the fact is he was here at a testing time and he gloriously failed the test.

I think some words are - although understandably - very harsh on him.

Had he been fit for more of his NUFC career he would have been a Toon legend now, probably still playing here. Who knows?

Luck wasn't on his side and his performances in the 2nd half of the relegation season were dreadfull and he clearly didn't look committed enough to the cause.

Saying that, again, had he score that goal against David James against Portsmouth in our 2nd last (?) home game that season, he would have been the hero.

Quite clearly, all he really ever cared about what playing for England, not Newcastle, despite picking up his wages here and not just a few pounds a day. That's what really makes me/made me angry because that's obviously why the 2006 WC injury happened that made his career go down so quick, so much.

Well yes, maybe if he'd arrived at a time of glory and stayed fit he'd have been popular. Him and Shearer banging them in 5 years earlier and I'm sure we'd think of him differently. But the fact is he was here at a testing time and he gloriously failed the test.

Him and Shearer were always shit together anyway. Not only did he fail the test, we failed it by building the team around someone not even fit to wear the shirt.

I don't understand why the press seem to love him so much. It's not like he gives riveting interviews, there can barely be a handful of more boring people on the planet.

North East journos have given a very different view on him than the national media.

Man Utd fans I know seem to love the c***.

Don't see why they would :S. They hated him for playing for Liverpool and then turned up at theirs to do nowt but complete his medal collection.

Winner in the derby, that is what i hear Mancs who like him say. To me i wouldn't expect that to cancel out all the other s*** but it seemingly does.

Guest TheGreatBeardo

North East journos have given a very different view on him than the national media.

I haven't really read any of the local press. I'm just going off what I heard on 5live really. It was pure nonsense. Talking about how he was unfortunate to be forced out of Liverpool and how he would have been one of England's greatest ever players if it hadn't been for the injuries.

http://www.michaelowen.com/blog.html

Michael's Blog: 21st March 2013

RETIREMENT

For some reason I thought it would be easy. After all, I had known for a few months that the end was near and had in fact shared my feelings with close family and friends. Having had plenty of time to get my head around my decision, I assumed that making the announcement public would be simple. Write a statement, upload it onto my website and post a message onto my Twitter feed at 9:30am. Job done! What followed caught me totally by surprise.

It started with a text from my sister. It was the last thing I was expecting as I had presumed that my nearest and dearest were already hardened to my decision. A text from my best mate was followed by one from my Dad. I had emotionally gone! For a couple of hours even the slightest thing would set me off. I headed off to see my parents. They were still in their bed clothes at 2:30pm glued to Sky Sports News. My Mum's eyes were swollen from all the crying. What I thought would be a day of celebration was getting worse by the minute. The realisation had set in, after a lifetime of dedication and pleasure that football had afforded us, it was all about to end.

Considering retirement was a gradual process but I had come to the decision before Christmas that this would be my final season in professional football although that wasn’t quite the plan at the outset. I had signed for Stoke with every intention of playing more football than I had in recent seasons. For whatever reason, it hasn't transpired. Yes, I've had a couple of small muscle injuries but it would be wrong to blame my lack of action on fitness. I have been available for a higher percentage of games this season than in my previous two. It just hasn't happened and the simple fact is, it is either the manager’s opinion that I am not good enough to get into the team or that I don’t fit into the system that we adopt. That is an opinion that I accepted a long time ago and that has obviously contributed to the timing of my announcement. It is also an opinion that I totally respect.

Looking at it realistically, things are unlikely to change in the remaining weeks of the season and having played so little in recent years, the chances of me continuing to play at the top level look remote. There have been a number of offers to continue playing outside of the Premiership, including several from abroad and whilst going to play in an emerging market did cross my mind, with four children settled in school, my family’s happiness takes priority. Having played for some of the greatest teams in Europe I have decided to exit the game while I’m still plying my trade in the top level of English football.

Despite me wanting to put the record straight in the future regarding certain chapters of my career, here is not the time nor the place to go into such detail. Instead, for me, it is a time to look back on my career with a sense of immense pride.

After showing plenty of promise as a youngster, it was at Liverpool where I felt most at home. Progressing through the ranks with Steven Gerrard, following the well trodden path of Fowler, McManaman, Matteo and Carragher, there was always a sense at the time that if you were good enough you would get a chance. That chance came at Selhurst Park on May 6th, 1997. The best years of my career followed in an eight year spell at The Reds. Having enjoyed one year in La Liga playing for Spanish giants Real Madrid, it was time to move home. A four year spell at Newcastle United, followed by three years at Manchester United, before spending my final year in professional football at Stoke City. During that 17 year period I had the honour of representing my country at every level culminating in 89 full caps and scoring 40 goals.

Looking back on my career, I suppose I have two overriding emotions. The first is a sense of pride at not only what I achieved, but how I achieved it. Winning virtually every trophy at club level is the stuff of dreams but in amongst all that there were some incredible days. Bursting onto the scene at Liverpool winning consecutive Golden Boots was just the start. Picking up PFA Young Player of The Year and The BBC Sports Personality of The Year Awards were moments I will never forget. Making my England debut having just turned 18 before heading to The World Cup where I would score 'That Goal' which catapulted me towards global recognition. Further International glory followed in the shape of a hat trick in Munich. In that same year we won five trophies at Liverpool with the highlight undoubtedly scoring a brace in the FA Cup Final towards snatch the trophy from Arsenal’s grasp. Collecting the European Footballer of The Year award at the end of that season was an amazing feeling and that trophy takes pride of place at home! Adrenalin rushes like scoring in a 4-2 El Classico win for Real Madrid not to mention the winner in a 4-3 Manchester derby victory have given me memories to last a lifetime.

The second emotion that lives with me is a sense of 'what might have been' had injuries not robbed me of my most lethal weapon - speed. Many of my highlights were early on in my career and I can only wonder what more I would have achieved had my body been able to withstand the demands that I was making of it. I was almost too quick. My hamstring gave way in an away game at Leeds at the tender age of 19 and from that moment on my career as a professional footballer was compromised. I actually take great pride in the fact that, even when not fully fit, I still competed at the very highest level playing for some of the biggest clubs in the world. I have no doubt that had I not suffered those 'pace depriving' injuries, I would be sat here now with a sack full of awards and a long list records. However, how can I really have any regrets!

So, what does the next stage of my life have in store? As I can testify, football is a short career and I would be daft if I hadn't mentally prepared for life after football. Despite the stick I have taken for apparently taking my eye off the ball, I am satisfied that I have prepared for life after football. I retire in eight weeks knowing exactly what my next steps will be and that is a comforting thought.

The media side of Football interests me. As many of you will have seen, I have appeared on various channels trying out different roles and gaining experience for a future on TV. I am currently in discussions with several broadcasters and hoping to secure a contract for next season and beyond. Radio commentary and personal Blogs are also platforms that I have enjoyed doing. At times during my career it has been difficult to express an opinion for a variety of reasons. Close family and friends always tell me I am very opinionated so it will be nice to be able to express my views in a number of ways.

For the last couple of years I have also been putting things in place for a career that interests me greatly. The representation of players is an area I believe I can excel in.

On July 1st, I propose to set up Michael Owen Management Limited focusing on guiding young players through their careers and offering them advice at every juncture of what can be a career full of pitfalls. I have seen so many horror stories during my own career and have learnt plenty from my own experiences. With the team I have built around me, I feel genuinely excited by the opportunity of guiding some of our best talent through their formative years and beyond. Having already spoken with a number of people within the game, I get a real sense that they too feel that I can play an important role in helping to nurture  talented youngsters into our stars of the future both on and off the pitch.

It has been the best journey I could ever have wished for. Unfortunately, like all good things, it has to come to an end. I take pride in the fact that I have given people so much pleasure over the years. I retire in the knowledge that everybody knows where they were when 'That Goal' nestled into the top corner of the Argentinian’s net!

Modest.