Man City sack Mark Hughes; Roberto Mancini is the replacement

Thespence

http://www.leaguemanagers.com/news/viewfromthetop-6489.html

20 Dec 2009

Statement regarding Mark Hughes

STATEMENT ISSUED BY THE LEAGUE MANAGERS ASSOCIATION ON BEHALF OF MARK HUGHES

“I was informed after yesterday’s match against Sunderland that my contract with Manchester City was being terminated with immediate effect. Notwithstanding media coverage to the contrary, I was given no forewarning as to the Club’s decision. Given the speed with which my successor’s appointment was announced, it would appear that the Club had made its decision some considerable time ago.

I am extremely disappointed not to have been given the opportunity to see through my plans at the Club. At the beginning of the season I sat down with the owners and it was agreed that a realistic target for the season would be 6th place in the Barclays Premier League, or in the region of 70 points. All of this was communicated to the players and we all knew where we stood. Whilst everyone at the Club would obviously have wanted to see more wins, we were absolutely on target at the time of my dismissal. Only recently we had terrific victories against both Arsenal and Chelsea.

I am very proud of the fact that I steered the Club through the most significant period of change in its history.

I have always been aware of the responsibility that comes with being afforded the luxury of a significant transfer budget, and I was grateful that the Club supported me with significant investment in players. I very much regret, however, that I will not now be able to enjoy the success that would undoubtedly have followed in the light of that investment.

I believe that I have handled with dignity the recent pressure placed upon me by press speculation.

I would like to thank the fans for their support throughout my time at the Club and particularly at this difficult time, and I wish the Club every success in the future, particularly in relation to the forthcoming Carling Cup semi-final, the Club’s first semi-final for 28 years.”

Mark Hughes OBE

Guest Alan Shearer 9

STATEMENT ISSUED BY MR. HUGHES

'I believe it is paramount within the game of football to conduct one's self with great dignity and present a positive image to the public at large, and especially to the many youngsters who follow the game. It is a sad indictment of the modern game that as we grow as a sport with the largest audience in the world, the players and other individuals involved conduct themselves so poorly; this is even worse when you consider the increasing amounts of money said individuals are paid.

Having said that I would like to speak now with regard to my dismissal earlier this week. To Man City, I say only this: Suck my dick. Ram it down your fuckin throat and choke on it you bastard ccunts, and believe me it will be pumped when I think about all the millions and millions you will have to pay me. I hope you rot and your bastard children rot with you. Keep sucking. Suck it until you drown. That is all.

Mr. Hughes OBE

(obnoxious bell end)

i haven't read the previous 7 pages and if what i think has been posted already then you can rub my nuts with fresh holly, but isn't mark hughes getting an easy ride ? on saturday night radio 5 couldn't even bring themselves to say 'sacked' instead lots of 'parted comapny' and 'left'.

he was the manager in charge of a team taken over when in m id table, he wasnt he owners choice, and after spending 120mill or so leaves them in a similar position. no surprise to me. he's obviously a media fave with te ease of ride he's getting over this.

i haven't read the previous 7 pages and if what i think has been posted already then you can rub my nuts with fresh holly, but isn't mark hughes getting an easy ride ? on saturday night radio 5 couldn't even bring themselves to say 'sacked' instead lots of 'parted comapny' and 'left'.

he was the manager in charge of a team taken over when in m id table, he wasnt he owners choice, and after spending 120mill or so leaves them in a similar position. no surprise to me. he's obviously a media fave with te ease of ride he's getting over this.

Of course he is...he used to play for Manchester United,and he was a reet dirty bastard as a player IMO.

Anyone know if you can bet on Hughes becoming the next Boro manager? Ginger Gordon will be lucky to see out Crimbo.

Odds would be huge i reckon. He's prime candidate for the next prem sacking job not picking up a cash strapped mid table CCC club in dire straights.

Guest Heneage

I don't know anything about Mancini. Does anyone here rate him as a 'top 4 manager'

As manager

ACF Fiorentina

Coppa Italia: 2000–01

S.S. Lazio

Coppa Italia: 2003–04

F.C. Internazionale Milano

Serie A: 2005–06; 2006–07; 2007–08

Coppa Italia: 2004–05; 2005–06

Someone described him as being no better than Hughes but he's actually won a shed load of trophies.

8 Trophies, 5 with an Inter team that really had no right to lose the league. He's good but I debate if he's what they think he is.

I don't know anything about Mancini. Does anyone here rate him as a 'top 4 manager'

As manager

ACF Fiorentina

S.S. Lazio

Someone described him as being no better than Hughes but he's actually won a shed load of trophies.

8 Trophies, 5 with an Inter team that really had no right to lose the league. He's good but I debate if he's what they think he is.

Inter were almosts before he got there, for some time IIRC.

Guest Heneage

As manager

ACF Fiorentina

S.S. Lazio

Well, the first year they 'officially' won it, was the Juve Calcioppli scandal, the year after that Juve were in Serie B and AC Milan were 8 points down before a ball had been kicked, then last year they made it difficult winning the league, they had a fair few routine slip ups.

I still think for all the titles at Inter he was really dependant on Zlatan, something I think Mattis may concurr with me on. Often their tactic was get it to Zlatan and get him to do something special to get us a goal or win us the game. He single handly won the game at Parma the other year to win them the league. Whether he will have that talismanic player at Manchester City is debateable, Robinho looks like his mind is elsewhere, and Adebayor is far too inconsistent. But he has bigger resources at City, so who knows.

As manager

ACF Fiorentina

S.S. Lazio

Well, the first year they 'officially' won it, was the Juve Calcioppli scandal, the year after that Juve were in Serie B and AC Milan were 8 points down before a ball had been kicked, then last year they made it difficult winning the league, they had a fair few routine slip ups.

I still think for all the titles at Inter he was really dependant on Zlatan, something I think Mattis may concurr with me on. Often their tactic was get it to Zlatan and get him to do something special to get us a goal or win us the game. He single handly won the game at Parma the other year to win them the league. Whether he will have that talismanic player at Manchester City is debateable, Robinho looks like his mind is elsewhere, and Adebayor is far too inconsistent. But he has bigger resources at City, so who knows.

Fair enough but these things happen, doesn't detract from going on to win the league. You could say its like Chelsea having 3 managers in 1 year, or Liverpool in financial ruin, or Manu selling their best player and main goalscorer, or Arsenal relying on young kids to break through, there's always something, you've still got to put your team across the line. Citeh now have a manager that has and can do that, whether he can do that here is a different thing, but it's better than what Hughes has done and probably now will ever do and Mancini brings some continental pull with it to boot. He's a solid appointment imo and imo Mourinho is the one who's had it easy, ready made team that just needs that push in the CL but looks like he cannot do it.

PS: They and us, very confusing at this time in the morning.  :razz:

Guest Heneage

Not really I think Mourinho had his own problems, I mean he got a year from Zlatan, but the team were stale and he was expected to win Champions League which to be honest they haven't come close to.

He's had his resources because of an ageing squad with the likes of Dacourt (Now gone) and Vieira taking up massive chunks of his wage bill. He's not bought much in the transfer market, and he's been 50 50 really, Sneijder and Motta have been good, Quaresma and Mancini have been poor, Milito and Eto'o seem to be striking up a good partnership and he's actually got them a creator in Sneijder, which they've missed for a while now, his handling of Santon and Balotelli has been iffy however.

While I agree with putting your team across the line, but sometimes players can govern themselves to titles, the true measuring stick for Mancini was Europe where he failed if we are blunt. I think if Hughes had been in Mancini's position he would have probably won Serie A too, that's not to say it was easy, but I think he's a good enough manager. But you are right he will give them more clout in terms of attracting players, but it's what players he buys assuming that he gets final say as I know City employ the infamous Director of Football.

Time will tell I guess.

Mancini has accomplished nothing, imo. Bad manager. His first "title" comes in 2006 when Inter are about 20 points behind Juve but win title in court due to scandal. They walked the next one against a vastly inferior Serie A. In 2008, his team made a meal of a simple Serie A (taken to the last day by a nothing Roma team) and are soundly beaten in the Champions League. He begins moaning after this and is sacked in the summer for being rubbish. Good luck Man City.

Hughes' main signings:

Jo £18m

Tal Ben Haim £5m

Vincent Kompany £6m

SWP £9m

Pablo Zabaleta £7m

Robinho £32.5m

Wayne Bridge £12m

Craig Bellamy £8m

Nigel De Jong £17m

Shay Given £5m

Gareth Barry £12m

Roque Santa Cruz £17.5m

Carlos Tevez £25m

Emmanuel Adebayor £25m

Kolo Toure £16m

Joleon Lescott £22m

How many of those could you say were 'value for money' or 'good signings'?

The signings of Santa Cruz, De Jong, Toure and Lescott all horribly overpriced. Robinho hugely overpriced, and Jo the biggest waste of money in the last 5 years easily.

Toure and Lescott aren't the best centre backs in the league, but arguably they were the best available. The really top players are out of reach because those players are at big clubs and want to stay in the Champions League. So City have paid over the odds for players in the second tier, in the hope of bridging the gap as soon as possible. That's hardly Hughes's fault. That's the aim of the club.

I suspect that they've ended up with a divided dressing room. The influx of all those players at once isn't likely to lead to a harmonious atmosphere. I think there are a lot of players who support Hughes, but the club have effectively listened to the wrong ones.

He's signed a lot of good players really, considering how unattractive City were to world-class stars at the time. He's added some steel and premiership experience to what otherwise might have been a team of galaticos. He paid too much for most of them, but his owners distorted the market with their massive wealth.

He's on target for the finish he was tasked with achieving, anything beyond that is impossible in one season.

A crazy sacking, can only damage Man City at this point.

Guest Stephen927

Mark Hughes Had To Lend Manchester City £250,000 To Sign Craig Bellamy

Dec 21, 2009 10:05:48 AM

Manchester City borrowed a quarter-of-a-million pounds from former manager Mark Hughes so that they could buy Craig Bellamy from West Ham United, it is claimed.

The player was signed for £14 million last January but the deal could have been scuppered at the last minute because City were £250,000 short, according to a report in The Sun.

That meant Hughes stepped in with a loan of his own cash so that the deal could be concluded.

Hughes was sacked as manager at Eastlands on Saturday after his team's exciting victory over Sunderland in which Bellamy, a hit at City, starred once again.

The Sun claims that the Welshman is now in talks with top employment lawyer Paul Gilroy QC, who recently helped Alan Curbishley win compensation in his unfair dismissal case against West Ham.

http://goal.com/en/news/9/england/2009/12/21/1700939/mark-hughes-had-to-lend-manchester-city-250000-to-sign-craig

Mancini has accomplished nothing, imo. Bad manager. His first "title" comes in 2006 when Inter are about 20 points behind Juve but win title in court due to scandal. They walked the next one against a vastly inferior Serie A. In 2008, his team made a meal of a simple Serie A (taken to the last day by a nothing Roma team) and are soundly beaten in the Champions League. He begins moaning after this and is sacked in the summer for being rubbish. Good luck Man City.

You're completely ignoring his record before Inter, which was pretty good, especially considering his age and Fiorentina's problems at the time.

He'll do a good job at Man City.

Guest neesy111

You're completely ignoring his record before Inter, which was pretty good, especially considering his age and Fiorentina's problems at the time.

He'll do a good job at Man City.

i agree, and he can attract better players than hughes as well

man city imo coming up to january would of been thinking about whether to give hughes money or not

hughes had to go, he just bought imo aload of mercenary's i.e. toure, adebayor, lescott

the city defence has been a shambles recently despite it costing around £80M, not good enough imo