Danny Simpson (Premier League Champion)

Guest toonlass

I'm suprised at the amount who don't rate Simpson. Don't get me wrong, he still has alot of work to do in order to become a "out of the ordinary" right back. However, IMO he's solid enough to be considered a good squad signing, with potential.

The problem we have is that we can't sign players on minimal fee's anymore because that is half our budget. If we let Simpson go without signing a replacement we cause our own problems, not because i rate Simpson that highly but because we will be a man short (ditto harewood).

Skysports.com understands that Newcastle have agreed a deal to sign Danny Simpson from Manchester United.

The 23-year-old right-back has had a high successful loan spell at St James' Park over the opening half of the season.

He returned to Old Trafford on Tuesday, as talks over a permanent deal failed to materialise.

However, the two clubs have now agreed terms and Simpson is set to pen a permanent deal on Tyneside.

Simpson is set to undergo a medical on Wednesday before signing a two-and-half-year deal with Chris Hughton's side.

Jerome Thomas raped Simpson last night.

All Simpson had to do was keep him on his left foot all night and he even failed at that.

he showed thpomas the outside (left) nearly all night,on at least one occasion thomas took it and got past him. guthrie may not be a winger but you don't need to be to help double up on winger.

Hughton was suitably impressed with Simpson's performance in the 2-2 draw with fellow Championship high-fliers West Brom at St James' Park on Monday.

He added: "I thought he was excellent.

"He was up against a very good, free-flowing player in Jerome Thomas. He's a good athlete and runner, but Danny was there, and we sorely needed him."

No wonder he wants to sign him if he thinks he played well against West Brom. :facepalm: Seems he can do no wrong.

Hopefully the report isn't true anyway.

Hughton was suitably impressed with Simpson's performance in the 2-2 draw with fellow Championship high-fliers West Brom at St James' Park on Monday.

He added: "I thought he was excellent.

"He was up against a very good, free-flowing player in Jerome Thomas. He's a good athlete and runner, but Danny was there, and we sorely needed him."

No wonder he wants to sign him if he thinks he played well against West Brom. :facepalm: Seems he can do no wrong.

Hopefully the report isn't true anyway.

Hughton's not a moron.  He knows he was awful.

But Simpson knew he was awful as well, you could see it in his face.

Hughton's doing the right thing, managerially, imo, and backing the player publically.

Very pleased with this signing if true. He played a poor game on Monday - it happens.

I would rather watch him go through some growing pains and potentially improve than sign some past it Championship caliber player (or the more likely alternative of signing no one).

Good signing.

Not his best game monday, two or 3 seperate moments he was completely taken out of it by good footwork & a quick pass at start of 2nd half yes. Outside of that he didnt have that bad a game actually. The basic solid things he did dont stand out as much as mistakes though to most so are forgotten. Got foward a few times also, nearly set up a goal.

Happy with that for this league anyway.

He's alright for what we are probably paying, i.e. next to nothing, but there is a reason why Blackburn and Sunderland never chose to buy him, and we best hope we have someone else to play there next season.