Danny Simpson (Premier League Champion)

Guest toonlass

I've little hate for Simpson, he's not good enough but everyone at the club has known that for well over a year. It's not his fault he's been our first and only choice back there for so long, and knowing he's going to play every week has probably led to complacency and arrogance. We've got decent value for money out of him, but it's long since been time to move on.

Guest neesy111

I've little hate for Simpson, he's not good enough but everyone at the club has known that for well over a year. It's not his fault he's been our first and only choice back there for so long, and knowing he's going to play every week has probably led to complacency and arrogance. We've got decent value for money out of him, but it's long since been time to move on.

I feel this, but I don't like his attitude on the field.  Always finger pointing etc,.

At last, a sensible post.

The question is: do we keep him for 6 months and let him go for free, or do we try squeezing money out of some gullible club?

I don't think any small fee we get would be worth the loss in squad depth. Also, who can we convince to buy him?

(.....all this is if Debuchy signs, of course!)

Pretty sure Simpson himself thinks the opposite, like.

The question is: do we keep him for 6 months and let him go for free, or do we try squeezing money out of some gullible club?

I don't think any small fee we get would be worth the loss in squad depth. Also, who can we convince to buy him?

(.....all this is if Debuchy signs, of course!)

It's a good question, even if we sign Debuchy and he's great, it doesn't change the fact that if Simpson goes we're back to square one in terms of squad depth. We need someone else who can play right back for more than one half in an emergency, and can push Debuchy for the future. Preferrably a younger player IMO.

Edit: forgot about Tavernier. :thup:

We will look so much better as a team with two full backs who can attack and overlap with confidence. Santon is not a great defender, but his ability to run with the ball and take on defenders is very important to how we play. Hopefully Debuchy offers this on the right.

Guest neesy111

In fact if we get Debuchy I'd keep Simpson and send Tavernier out on loan again for the rest of the season, to a club that agree to play him exclusively at RB if possible.

Good plan.  I doubt it'll happen.

In fact if we get Debuchy I'd keep Simpson and send Tavernier out on loan again for the rest of the season, to a club that agree to play him exclusively at RB if possible.

Even if we could get £1m-2m for him this month?

Personally, yes. If someone offers that I fully expect us to accept it.

Far too much sense in that post. Sort it out David.

I guess it'll show how tight Ashley really is - is he all about money or can he put the team first?

This. Simpson would still be decent backup especially if it meant Tav. got some more experience.

Guest Slippery Sam

How many times did Simpson clear the ball off the line last season?  Two or three I think, unless I'm mistaken? Perhaps he contributed a fair amount to our 5th place last season.  Anyway, it's not his fault he's not good enough for NUFC; the budgetary constraints on the team/club are ultimately responsible for his time here.