Danny Simpson (Premier League Champion)

Guest toonlass

He has still improved over last season, and if he improve again next season then he's worth keeping.  It's true he's had some mares when backing off players. Needs to make a challenge higher up the pitch instead of allowing them to get close enough to score. Don't think we need to replace him, but I'd certainly like a young player challenging him for a spot next season. If that can be from our existing youngsters (Tavernier ?) then great.

Guest schmuck

He improved for a bit under Hughton, but has been living off that spell (and in particular 1 great performance at Arsenal) for a long time, he's not been too much better than he was last season since Pardew's arrival and I don't really get the idea that any sort of improvement will just naturally come about next season. Look at Jose's early performances for us - there were problems, but there was also obvious potential there to be improved on, can anyone say anything remotely similar of Simpson on any scale? I look at him see and average player playing to his natural level.

While an attacker should remain at the top of the list, after Leon Best's record this season I don't think there's one player in a fully fit first XI that I'd actually want to improve on before Simpson.

Guest Rey Mysterio

I've said for a long time now he's garbage and he's starting to prove it week in week out.  Fucking Ryan Taylors better at rb.

Guest Rey Mysterio

I've said for a long time now he's garbage and he's starting to prove it week in week out.  f***ing Ryan Taylors better at rb.

Ryan Taylor is shit, Simpson is comfortably better than him

He really isn't. Neither can defend but Ryan Taylor is actually comfortable in possession.

Simpson did his usual moan at everyone else after his own inept defending again today. Sick to death of him.

Guest sicko2ndbest

Hughton obviously had his reservations hence the perch signing

Just so happened simpsons replacement was shit!

Ryan Taylor is a woeful defender.

So is Simpson; it's the same errors from him every week. At least Taylor offers something going forward, not that I want him at right-back either.

His constant backing off continues to infuriate everyone yet he's blissfully unaware.

Is it not a responsiblity of the manager to pick things like this up and work on them then?

His constant backing off continues to infuriate everyone yet he's blissfully unaware.

Is it not a responsiblity of the manager to pick things like this up and work on them then?

Pardew's lambasted him at least twice recently after he's been at fault for a goal we've conceded, maybe he is picking up on them and Simpson isn't listening to what he's been told?

Pardew's lambasted him at least twice recently after he's been at fault for a goal we've conceded, maybe he is picking up on them and Simpson isn't listening to what he's been told?

If that's the case I'd expect him to be replaced in the summer then.

Yeah. I'd have hoped one of our coaches had noticed this but as far as I know we only have attacking coaches.

Disagree with a lot of what's now being said about him - feel confident better performances can be had out of him, and certainly don't think he's an urgent priority for replacing.

Don't think it's any coincidence there's been a shift in the form of various players, sometimes for worse, very occasionally for better. Assume it's the new training and tactics, and mentality being drummed in, playing their part. Less well-drilled and optimistic, for me, one upshot of which means players who rely less on raw talents and more on contributing to a cohesive game plan aren't as effective (Nolan, Barton, Simpson and others, possibly inc. Enrique). I don't much buy the idea it's just down to Andy Carroll not playing up front.

I agree it is not an urgent priority BUT we can certainly do better

I like Simpson and do think he has improved a lot, also did better than expected BUT he is somewhat limited, certainly going forward and defensively he backs off far too much

i've barely seen the lad play if i'm honest but my perspective of him since he signed (EDIT: should have said from this forum) has been he started badly and everyone said he was shite, at some point this season (after his injury iirc) people started to rate him quite highly to the point where England was mentioned, and now he's back to shite again :lol:

Not sure what people expect for £750k mind. He's done a job for us, he's a lower mid-table Premier League player who we can get away with since we have 3 good defenders. If Enrique leaves though then we need to upgrade on him. We probably at the moment have an A grade left-back and C grade right-back, next season at minimum we'll need two B grade full-backs.

To be honest, most of this season he was went unnoticed, which for a defender is good. When Carroll was here I saw him make some good runs and bring a few balls into the box alongside Barton, he also made some decent over lapping runs with Barton as well. Going on that then getting another guy in his position might be welcome but by no means is it a priority for us at the moment.