Report: New kit deal agreed with Puma

Dave

Watching the football league show last night, I relised that some team who plays in red (Bury possibly) have Nike as the shirt makers, and Nike also had their tick on the sleeves aswell, I'm sure I've seen this elsewere on Nike footbal tops aswell.

http://www.footballshirtculture.com/components/com_joomgallery/img_pictures/fantasy_kit_design_1/nufc1_20100111_1991442773.jpg

this one could prove controversial

Stick some white stripes down each side and lose the cat off the shorts and that may not be too bad.

Whatever happens though, is it too much to ask to get the black of the sponsor the same as the rest of the strip?

I like Adidas as a brand but I get the feeling they've been phoning it in the past few seasons. We haven't had a nice kit since the 01-03 home shirt.

That said I don't have much faith in Puma to do any better.

yeah, i've got to agree like. i did like the 05-06 away and 3rd kits, and the current yellow effort but the home ones haven't been great  :blush:

My main problem with Puma stuff is that the material seems very flimsy and they tend to incorporate things like sponsor names, logos and crests into the flat print of the design rather than having them raised or sewn on, which gives the impression of a pub kit or one of those Thai knockoffs of Premier League strips with the name and number already on.

OK, so its official with Puma then.  Was realy hoping we'd get Umbro (knew very well we'd not get Nike) and Umbro would be able to provide some "tailored by" kits.  But methinks a 2 year deal is really leaving us open to hold 2 years into the Premier League and sign a contract with say a Nike or Umbro.  A 2 year kit deal is 1 iteration of the home kit, and 2 away kits. 

Interesting, no?

OK, so its official with Puma then.  Was realy hoping we'd get Umbro (knew very well we'd not get Nike) and Umbro would be able to provide some "tailored by" kits.  But methinks a 2 year deal is really leaving us open to hold 2 years into the Premier League and sign a contract with say a Nike or Umbro.  A 2 year kit deal is 1 iteration of the home kit, and 2 away kits. 

Interesting, no?

I don't know about that, Ashley and Puma could of came to a different arrangement, like some teams have a new one every season. But 2 years is a good idea, gives them a fair chance to make something fairly good, establish ourselves as a Premier League team (hopefully), which could mean that in 2 years time we can say "no you don't make good enough shirts", or "we are a Premiership club now, and want a better deal".

Interesting, no?

I don't know about that, Ashley and Puma could of came to a different arrangement, like some teams have a new one every season. But 2 years is a good idea, gives them a fair chance to make something fairly good, establish ourselves as a Premier League team (hopefully), which could mean that in 2 years time we can say "no you don't make good enough shirts", or "we are a Premiership club now, and want a better deal".

Like Spurs who has Puma as current kit maker. They've changed home shirts all four years since Puma took over from Kappa (Kappa changed every year as well in the end).

I've checked Villarreal and Stuttgart and both teams have changed home shirts for every season the last three years, so it looks like it's a Puma thing..

Puma new shirt manufacturers for next 2 seasons

Ugh, a little bit sick in my mouth.

The one a season thing, it's not necessarily a Puma thing, it's club dependant. In most leagues now it seems clubs are changing every season (regardless of manufacturer) which is a shame. Quite a few clubs in England keep their home kits for 2 seasons like ourselves. Don't see why that would necessarily change.

Umbro have good shirts when it is designed for the teams and not just a template already given out. The other year when they had a few shirts with Premiership teams they made awful shirts, it was around the Lonsdale era aswell. Umbro are a bit of a hit or miss, no real middle ground, in saying that if they got it right, then I would love them to make our shirts.