Jermaine Beckford signs for Everton. Yey!

Stifler
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

We have second thoughts on buying a player, someone else snaps him up and he's a great success for them. I'm sure this has happened before.....

A bit annoyed if this is true though.

You can't really expect us to compete with Everton though, surely.

Anyway, we'll never know how good or bad our offer was really... or whether Everton were interested all along.

Guest toonlass

We have second thoughts on buying a player, someone else snaps him up and he's a great success for them. I'm sure this has happened before.....

What's to be annoyed about? You have no idea if he is Championship standard never mind up to premier league standards.

Well obviously Everton aren't prepared to pay a fee to Leeds for the player as they haven't even made an offer.  Yet the player put in a transfer request expecting to leave in January and it was pretty clear he wanted to come here.  So that tells us one of two things.  Either he was prepared to sign for us despite Evertons interest or Everton weren't interested when he put the request in.

Don't necesarilly believe the sun story at this stage anyway, its the sun after all.

Well obviously Everton aren't prepared to pay a fee to Leeds for the player as they haven't even made an offer.  Yet the player put in a transfer request expecting to leave in January.  So that tells us one of two things.  Either he was prepared to sign for us despite Evertons interest or Everton weren't interested when he put the request in.

Don't necesarilly believe the sun story at this stage anyway, its the sun after all.

Or Everton's people let Beckford know that they want to sign him in the Summer when he is available for free.

Well obviously Everton aren't prepared to pay a fee to Leeds for the player as they haven't even made an offer.  Yet the player put in a transfer request expecting to leave in January.  So that tells us one of two things.  Either he was prepared to sign for us despite Evertons interest or Everton weren't interested when he put the request in.

Or Everton's people let Beckford know that they want to sign him in the Summer when he is available for free.

hence the withdrawel of said transfer request and willing to stay until the end of the season

If I was Beckford and Everton were interested, I would be very happy to finish the season and help Leeds get promoted - followed by a sweet move to the Premier League at the end of it.

No reason to think we didn't do everything possible to sign him for a fee we thought was acceptable.

What's to be annoyed about? You have no idea if he is Championship standard never mind up to premier league standards.

Nobody knows, all we have is opinions. But I reckon he'd be fine at this level. And I was desperate for Beck-eobi to storm the Championship

Not really an or, it would go along with the "Everton weren't interested when he put the request in" scenario.

Guest Roger Kint

Ken Bates seems to think our final bid was £2.25m as he confirmed he stood to make £1.8m in the deal. Thats just madness asking for more tbh

If I was Beckford and Everton were interested, I would be very happy to finish the season and help Leeds get promoted - followed by a sweet move to the Premier League at the end of it.

No reason to think we didn't do everything possible to sign him for a fee we thought was acceptable.

yeah b ut if we think that way how can we blame NUFC ? (which surely is the point of most posts)

yeah but if we think that way how can we blame NUFC ? (which surely is the point of most posts)

We can't blame NUFC, that's what I was saying.

yeah but if we think that way how can we blame NUFC ? (which surely is the point of most posts)

i know, i was being sarcy about those who'll use situations where there is no blame and still find a way.

as if there wasn't enough legit stuff.

Guest Roger Kint

If it's true we offered £1.5m or whatever, you can't blame Leeds for not accepting because it could jeopardise their promotion challenge, but at the same time you can't blame us for not increasing when in the summer he's free anyway and still unproven.

Like i said Bates is claiming we offer more considering his cut was £1.8m

Guest ProudToBeAGeordie

If it's true we offered £1.5m or whatever, you can't blame Leeds for not accepting because it could jeopardise their promotion challenge, but at the same time you can't blame us for not increasing when in the summer he's free anyway and still unproven.

I would not trust a word that comes out of Ken Bate's mouth.

Guest Roger Kint

I would not trust a word that comes out of Ken Bate's mouth.

Normally true however beleiving this would mean people couldnt slag us off foir not trying which doesnt happen

i know, i was being sarcy about those who'll use situations where there is no blame and still find a way.

D'oh, sorry, makes sense now!

I'm not saying I'm gutted we appear to have missed out on Beckford, or that we should have just given in to whatever price Leeds wanted, but saying there's no competition if Everton are interested and then saying we did everything possible to sign him is contradictory. There are plenty of reasons you could use to persuade the player that we would be a better career move, and players don't always just join the club which is currently sitting higher in the league or offer the best wages. Playing wise with us he would have a chance to settle himself in a winning team in the Championship and thus have a better chance of keeping his place and doing well in the Prem should we be promoted, whereas with Everton if he got much playing time at all he'd be thrown in at the deep end while still trying to fit into the team. Financially, we could easily afford to match whatever wages they might offer a backup striker, and of course with us there's a much bigger potential.

There was a time at this club when both manager and chairman would try and convince players to join us ahead of other teams, and it wasn't always just down to £££ when they did. These days I honestly wonder if the manager even gets to speak to the player and the MD & owner jet off on their jollies during negotiations. I don't expect us to sign every transfer target whatever the cost or competition, but is it any wonder we now repeatedly get mediocre players turning us down when anyone else shows an interest, we let our best players leave without a fight, and only seem to be able to sign the players noone else want.

Alright UV, how the hell would you convince Beckford that Newcastle was a better move than Everton?

Confident players want to prove themselves at the highest level... and players reaching their late 20s want to maximise their earnings. In general, I mean.

Anyway, we'll never know how good or bad our offer was really... or whether Everton were interested all along.

Your comment is currently correct - but it shows just HOW far NUFC have fallen when Everton are a bigger attraction. Back in 1977, Gordon Lee was poached from us by them and neutrals were saying that it was because Everton were a better club...would anyone have said that during the mid-90s or even up to 4 years ago ??

Bill Shankly once said ' there are 2 teams in Liverpool - Liverpool and Liverpool reserves..'

He was only half joking and the fact that we are now inferior to Everton merely illustrates how far the club have fallen....the fact that you also accept that shows, inadvertently, that you have little confidence in things changing soon - and you are correct.

I'm not saying I'm gutted we appear to have missed out on Beckford, or that we should have just given in to whatever price Leeds wanted, but saying there's no competition if Everton are interested and then saying we did everything possible to sign him is contradictory. There are plenty of reasons you could use to persuade the player that we would be a better career move, and players don't always just join the club which is currently sitting higher in the league or offer the best wages. Playing wise with us he would have a chance to settle himself in a winning team in the Championship and thus have a better chance of keeping his place and doing well in the Prem should we be promoted, whereas with Everton if he got much playing time at all he'd be thrown in at the deep end while still trying to fit into the team. Financially, we could easily afford to match whatever wages they might offer a backup striker, and of course with us there's a much bigger potential.

There was a time at this club when both manager and chairman would try and convince players to join us ahead of other teams, and it wasn't always just down to £££. These days I honestly wonder if the manager even gets to speak to the player and the MD & owner jet off on their jollies during negotiations. I don't expect us to sign every transfer target whatever the cost or competition, but is it any wonder we now repeatedly get mediocre players turning us down when anyone else shows an interest, we let our best players leave without a fight, and only seem to be able to sign the players noone else want.

the point is he isn't good enough for us to do everything to get him. if he'd turned us down for  WBA or leicester then i'd be concerned but there is little choice right now between us and everton. if he is confident in his ability then he'd go to everton. seems players can't win as i remember one of the bents, can't rmemeber if it was darren or marcus getting slagged off for not shpowing ambition when turning us down as he thought we were too big for him at that time.

also remember in the past we've often got players by simply offering nmore wages than the opposition. something we are not now in a position to do and quite possibly weren't then either.

as regards them going off on their jollies i'm sure most peolple would rather they kept away and left the negotiations to cushing , whoever the finance director is and hughton. they are a phone call away if they need asked or informed of anything. the simpson deal seems to have been completed with them away so i guess they have been in contact.

Your comment is currently correct - but it shows just HOW far NUFC have fallen when Everton are a bigger attraction. Back in 1977, Gordon Lee was poached from us by them and neutrals were saying that it was because Everton were a better club...would anyone have said that during the mid-90s or even up to 4 years ago ??

Bill Shankly once said ' there are 2 teams in Liverpool - Liverpool and Liverpool reserves..'

He was only half joking and the fact that we are now inferior to Everton merely illustrates how far the club have fallen....the fact that you also accept that shows, inadvertently, that you have little confidence in things changing soon - and you are correct.

Course it does, but we can only operate from our current position.

It will take a few years of steady progress to get anywhere near competing with Everton for players now. I'm not sure whether I believe it can be done or not, I hope it can. All I was saying is that at this point in time we can't criticise the club for missing out on a player that Everton want.

the point is he isn't good enough for us to do everything to get him. if he'd turned us down for  WBA or leicester then i'd be concerned but there is little choice right now between us and everton. if he is confident in his ability then he'd go to everton. seems players can't win as i remember one of the bents, can't rmemeber if it was darren or marcus getting slagged off for not shpowing ambition when turning us down as he thought we were too big for him at that time.

Thanks for providing your own example to contradict your own point. Players don't always join the currently best team they get an offer from and it's down to the management of the club to try and persuade them. You say Bent "thought we were too big for him at that time", but that's just your interpretation of his reasoning. He was persuaded his career would be better off if he went elsewhere and we obviously didn't do enough to persuade him he would prosper if he came to us. You don't win them all, but you wont win many if you don't try very hard. I absolutely don't accept the point that "he isn't good enough for us to do everything to get him". If he's a target then we certainly should pull out the stops to get him (I'm not talking about transfer fees or wages here, but about convincing the player we really want him and persuading him to join).

also remember in the past we've often got players by simply offering nmore wages than the opposition. something we are not now in a position to do and quite possibly weren't then either.

In some cases that may very well be true, but it's also a very easy excuse for the losing team's supporters to trot out, and subsequently for our supporters to repeat if the player turns out to be less than brilliant and they are pissed off with the manager/chairman. There are times when we simply would be the worse option for a player and you may have to do that if you really want to get the player.

as regards them going off on their jollies i'm sure most peolple would rather they kept away and left the negotiations to cushing , whoever the finance director is and hughton. they are a phone call away if they need asked or informed of anything. the simpson deal seems to have been completed with them away so i guess they have been in contact.

I'm not talking about finances here, I'm talking about selling the player a vision of the club going forward (chairman) and their place in that vision (manager). Although you're probably right that on past form it would probably be best keeping Llambias out of it or the player would just dismiss anything he said as bullshit.