Jermaine Beckford signs for Everton. Yey!

Stifler
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

It will take a few years of steady progress to get anywhere near competing with Everton for players now. I'm not sure whether I believe it can be done or not, I hope it can. All I was saying is that at this point in time we can't criticise the club for missing out on a player that Everton want.

You might have a point if we were talking about a world class player, but we're talking about a 26 year old League 1 striker who would almost certainly be used as backup at Everton.

Edit: To clarify, I'm speaking completely hypothetically here, as I'm not at all convinced about this Everton link and I think the deal probably broke down simply because we (rightly IMO) didn't offer Leeds enough cash for him. I'm just arguing about the principal of "we can't compete with Everton for players" and commenting on a worrying trend I see of the club's dealings with players into and out of the club.

We have second thoughts on buying a player, someone else snaps him up and he's a great success for them. I'm sure this has happened before.....

A bit annoyed if this is true though.

You can't really expect us to compete with Everton though, surely.

Anyway, we'll never know how good or bad our offer was really... or whether Everton were interested all along.

Your comment is currently correct - but it shows just HOW far NUFC have fallen when Everton are a bigger attraction. Back in 1977, Gordon Lee was poached from us by them and neutrals were saying that it was because Everton were a better club...would anyone have said that during the mid-90s or even up to 4 years ago ??

Bill Shankly once said ' there are 2 teams in Liverpool - Liverpool and Liverpool reserves..'

He was only half joking and the fact that we are now inferior to Everton merely illustrates how far the club have fallen....the fact that you also accept that shows, inadvertently, that you have little confidence in things changing soon - and you are correct.

By that logic Beckford would be right to stay with Leeds as surely they're a bigger pull than both NUFC and Everton due to their history...

It will take a few years of steady progress to get anywhere near competing with Everton for players now. I'm not sure whether I believe it can be done or not, I hope it can. All I was saying is that at this point in time we can't criticise the club for missing out on a player that Everton want.

You might have a point if we were talking about a world class player, but we're talking about a 26 year old League 1 striker who would almost certainly be used as backup at Everton.

Edit: To clarify, I'm speaking completely hypothetically here, as I'm not at all convinced about this Everton link and I think the deal probably broke down simply because we (rightly IMO) didn't offer Leeds enough cash for him. I'm just arguing about the principal of "we can't compete with Everton for players" and commenting on a worrying trend I see of the club's dealings with players into and out of the club.

we can compete but you can easily understand if, under the current respective situations, he went to everton.

we can compete but you can easily understand if, under the current respective situations, he went to everton.

Certainly, and I wouldn't (and am not) complaining about a one-off miss. I'm talking about a worrying trend, the apparent lack of effort by the club, and the acceptance by some that there's no hope of us signing someone like Beckford if Everton want him for the reserves. The only players we have signed in recent years are those no-one else was interested in (except maybe for Guthrie).

Certainly, and I wouldn't (and am not) complaining about a one-off miss. I'm talking about a worrying trend, the apparent lack of effort by the club, and the acceptance by some that there's no hope of us signing someone like Beckford if Everton want him for the reserves. The only players we have signed in recent years are those no-one else was interested in (except maybe for Guthrie).

possiblt because we realised we couldn't keep on doing what we done to get them here before...ie make their eyes bulge with huge pots of cash more than our opposition.

Don't see how those details about Beckford make him any less likely to join Everton. The fact is that they wanted him, and his age and current playing level probably makes it even more likely that he would bite their hands off.

It's all hypothetical really, as we have no idea what went on, how much we offered and/or what would have been considered 'enough'.

We have second thoughts on buying a player, someone else snaps him up and he's a great success for them. I'm sure this has happened before.....

A bit annoyed if this is true though.

You can't really expect us to compete with Everton though, surely.

Anyway, we'll never know how good or bad our offer was really... or whether Everton were interested all along.

Your comment is currently correct - but it shows just HOW far NUFC have fallen when Everton are a bigger attraction. Back in 1977, Gordon Lee was poached from us by them and neutrals were saying that it was because Everton were a better club...would anyone have said that during the mid-90s or even up to 4 years ago ??

Bill Shankly once said ' there are 2 teams in Liverpool - Liverpool and Liverpool reserves..'

He was only half joking and the fact that we are now inferior to Everton merely illustrates how far the club have fallen....the fact that you also accept that shows, inadvertently, that you have little confidence in things changing soon - and you are correct.

By that logic Beckford would be right to stay with Leeds as surely they're a bigger pull than both NUFC and Everton due to their history...

Leeds have won two titles and one FA Cup in their history...their trophy cabinet is hardly busting at the seams.

Don't see how those details about Beckford make him any less likely to join Everton. The fact is that they wanted him, and his age and current playing level probably makes it even more likely that he would bite their hands off.

It's all hypothetical really, as we have no idea what went on, how much we offered and/or what would have been considered 'enough'.

You don't see why some players might rather play first team football for a top of the table Championship club than be a reserve at a mid-low table Premiership one? It depends on the character and motivation of the player of course, but they're not all just out to grab the biggest paycheck. You're even more cynical than me.

I'm not cynical at all, I think he could have done it because he really believes he can do well at Everton. This could be the peak of his popularity, he needs to capitalise on it.

Some players might not believe they can make it, or Beckford might just be after the money. As I said, it's hypothetical because we have no idea which it is.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/r/rangers/8472745.stm

Gers striker Kris Boyd holds talks with Aston Villa

By Alasdair Lamont

Rangers striker Kris Boyd has held talks with Premier League club Aston Villa over a possible move.

The 26-year-old is weighing up his options, with a new contract on offer from the Ibrox club and Birmingham City and Middlesbrough also interested.

Any move would likely take effect in the summer, with Rangers yet to receive any bids for Boyd this month.

The Scottish Premier League's all-time leading goalscorer is sidelined until mid-February after a hernia operation.

He was forced to leave the field at New Douglas Park in his team's Scottish Cup tie against Hamilton on 10 January and had surgery in Manchester a few days later.

If Boyd were to sign a pre-contract agreement with Martin O'Neill's side, it would allow Boyd to stay at Ibrox for the remainder of this season as Rangers make a bid for the treble.

Boyd's agent discussed a new deal with chief executive Martin Bain earlier this month.

Rangers manager Walter Smith is keen to retain his services and assistant manager Ally McCoist has said the club "would be crazy" not to try to keep him.

The Ibrox strike partnership of Boyd and Kenny Miller has produced 31 SPL goals so far this season, with Rangers' in-demand star the scorer of 19.

The striker was named Clydesdale Bank Premier League player of the month for December and his goals have helped Rangers move nine points clear at the top of the table.

Last month Boyd broke Henrik Larsson's SPL goals record of 158 when he netted five times in a 7-1 demolition of Dundee United.

Scored against Spurs tonight, missed the target with a decent chance, had another well saved then mis controlled going round the keeper with a chance that he should've scored.

Plays on the half turn and threatens well in behind so he'd offer a different dimention to what's currently in the squad.

why the fuck does this guy not play for us?  I fear after his performance today we wont get him at all.

:lol:

We couldn't afford him before the Man Utd game.

Obviously we could like but cost isn't the issue now is it.