Portsmouth FC in yet more trouble - administration again?

GG

Guest Stephen927

Piquonne looks set to stay, Mokeona wants to stay as he is guaranteed first team football and wants to feature at the World Cup, and they aren't allowed to re-sign O'Hara.

They need to sell, but they're struggling to stay in this division with the players they do have and they can't bring in anymore, what a s*** situation for the fans.

Pompey players still not been paid. I wouldn't be happy if that was me like.

the players could probably issue notice to the club by now. Its the support staff i feel sorry for they aint been paid either

All non playing staff have been paid.

Piquonne looks set to stay, Mokeona wants to stay as he is guaranteed first team football and wants to feature at the World Cup, and they aren't allowed to re-sign O'Hara.

They need to sell, but they're struggling to stay in this division with the players they do have and they can't bring in anymore, what a s*** situation for the fans.

At least their fans got to see them win something (FA Cup in 2008) before they went in to meltdown. All our memories are of near misses.

Guest Heneage

Looks bad  for them. Seems the claim of 'There'll always be a buyer for a top flight club' isn't quite as true as you'd be lead to believe.

Looks bad  for them. Seems the claim of 'There'll always be a buyer for a top flight club' isn't quite as true as you'd be lead to believe.

I'm stating the obvious but , even more so in a recession .

There is not much money to be made in football , i would say only a few clubs such as Spurs and Villa , with big followings and potential to become big have money to be made in them. To a riskier extent ourselves and Leeds.

Assuming an owner who can actually run a club properly (as none will be profitable without that) us and the Spuds would have the best chance.  Appart from Arsenal of course who are already profitable.  With some luck Villa could do but they don't have the potential us and Spuds do.  Portsmouth are a club who simply can't hope to ever make a profit in this league.  So I agree nobody's going to come in and save them unless they find a rich Portsmouth fan desperate enough to throw tens of millions at the club to keep it alive.

Half the clubs in the Premiership wouldn't be there if they relied purely on fan attendance to fund themselves. Rich people have paid to get certain clubs higher than they would naturally have ever reached. It's one of the things that annoys me about football today. Half empty stadiums in the Premiership while well supported clubs like Newcastle and Leeds are in lower leagues. I suppose being well run helps though! Looks like the bubble is bursting though for all the clubs that have overextended themselves.

Did he just mention £1.8m was the players wage bill for the month or did I mis-hear that?

Probably not far out - seeing as the players get paid the net figure after tax and national insurance has been deducted, so the gross figure would be almost double that.

Guest toonlass

Peter Storrie on ssn saying the players are getting paid today.

Didn't Pompey say they would be paid every day up to now? If I were a Pompey player I would be seriously cynical until the money had hit my bank account.

Assuming an owner who can actually run a club properly (as none will be profitable without that) us and the Spuds would have the best chance.  Appart from Arsenal of course who are already profitable.  With some luck Villa could do but they don't have the potential us and Spuds do.  Portsmouth are a club who simply can't hope to ever make a profit in this league.  So I agree nobody's going to come in and save them unless they find a rich Portsmouth fan desperate enough to throw tens of millions at the club to keep it alive.

Also, one club cities are in a uniquely strong position with the fans, especially in Newcastle as it's so far away from the nearest proper rival.

interesting, not saying it's wrong but for me spurs won't get much further than they are now potential wise unless arsenal & chelsea cease to exist, plus the other well-drawing london clubs...granted you don't state what kind of potential, is it fan base or world appeal or both...?

like to hear brummies opinion on it

Guest Phil K

At least we'll be back in the Premiership, when Portsmouth go down I doubt they'll ever come back.

Yeah, I think you're right.

Someone mentioned Villa as not being as big as you may think.

With the promise there, you'd think attendances would be higher than they are.