Portsmouth FC in yet more trouble - administration again?

GG

Guest Heneage

4m appearance fee for a loan singing? What on earth were they doing?

I don't know if this is a joke but. :lol:

The 4m was to buy him permenantly if he played X amount of games.

"On Sunday, the club revealed that on-loan striker Aruna Dindane was left out of their side for the home win over Hull the previous day as it would have cost them £4m to play him.

Pompey could not afford the fee, stipulated in the player's contract by his parent club Lens, should he play another game."

That's all I've read on it, but ok, fair enough.

Guest Heneage

"On Sunday, the club revealed that on-loan striker Aruna Dindane was left out of their side for the home win over Hull the previous day as it would have cost them £4m to play him.

Pompey could not afford the fee, stipulated in the player's contract by his parent club Lens, should he play another game."

That's all I've read on it, but ok, fair enough.

Sorry I didn't mean to sound patronizing. But yeah it was a weird loan deal.

Fair play to Grant and the players for this, nice gesture:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/p/portsmouth/8584412.stm

Aye, David James seems a bit of a strange bloke at times, but he also seems fairly decent as footballers go.

He was one of the few who voted against the strike action a few years ago

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/news-and-comment/leagues-seek-court-injunction-to-stop-strike-617858.html

I think I might have read that if Pompey gets relegated by say 10 points, they start next season with a nine point deduction, as it the nine point deduction wouldn't have mattered this season anyway.

I think I might have read that if Pompey gets relegated by say 10 points, they start next season with a nine point deduction, as it the nine point deduction wouldn't have mattered this season anyway.

No, as gray says the points penalty isn't given to ensure a team gets relegated, it has nothing to do with their league position or where they finish.

No, as gray says the points penalty isn't given to ensure a team gets relegated, it has nothing to do with their league position or where they finish.

I have read the same thing.  It is to avoid clubs timing their administration (and points deduction) if they know they are down already.  Not sure that it is true but I have definitely read articles stating this.

There's also a chance that if they haven't sorted out their finances by the start of next season and don't have a Company Voluntary Arrangement in place the Football League can deduct another 15 points, so they could start next season on -24 points.

But they've already applied the points penalty, surely it can't be removed and then reapplied under different circustances?

I agree it's unfair of teams to time their administration to lessen the impact, but it's equally unfair of the league to time the points penalty to do maximum damage.

They're allowing them to complete transfers but still not allowing those players to play for their new club, so its not really that different from what any club can do at anytime during the season.

But they've already applied the points penalty, surely it can't be removed and then reapplied under different circustances?

I agree it's unfair of teams to time their administration to lessen the impact, but it's equally unfair of the league to time the points penalty to do maximum damage.

fairness doesnt matter a damn to the football league, what happened to southampton wasnt fair either but they dont give a shit about helping clubs survive

Guest Roger Kint

Fairness shouldn't come into it at all.  The rules are there and should be followed by the letter.

Exactly, didnt Soton do a Leeds and wait til relegation was pretty much likely or something like that? Obviously not to the same extent as they did like

Fairness shouldn't come into it at all.  The rules are there and should be followed by the letter.

Exactly, didnt Soton do a Leeds and wait til relegation was pretty much likely or something like that? Obviously not to the same extent as they did like

As far as i'm concerned if they leave loopholes in their rules then it's tough shit if teams exploit them. It's up to the FA to cover all possible eventualities. What they did to Leeds was a fucking disgrace.

I don't know about Southampton but Leeds entered into administration when they knew they were pretty much relegated so the points should have applied then and only then. To add on an additional 6 point penalty for the club exploiting the loophole was unbelievable. Just typical English FA behaviour.

FM TIME :p

5 England MF Jamie O'Hara (on loan from Tottenham Hotspur) - £5M

23 Germany MF Kevin-Prince Boateng - £7M

26 Israel DF Tal Ben Haim - £3M

32 Algeria MF Hassan Yebda (on loan from Benfica) - £3M

39 Algeria MF Nadir Belhadj - £5M

From the BBC website

Pompey allowed to sell players outside transfer window 

Portsmouth have been given special permission by the Premier League to sell players outside of the transfer window to ease their financial crisis.

Pompey, who had nine points deducted for going into administration, can sell stars on condition they cannot play for another Premier League club this term.

They have debts of about £60m and have laid off 81 staff to cut their costs.

Administrator Andrew Andronikou said: "This has given us an option, but we're not necessarily going to sell players."

Pompey are bottom of the Premier League and virtually certain to be relegated, but Andronikou said there was no immediate need for cash given the income generated by their run to the FA Cup semi-finals.

He added on Sky Sports News: "At the moment we don't necessarily need (the money from sales).

"We're looking forward to the semi-final and that's obviously given us working capital to play with.

"I've always said, we've had means within the club. So it's a window that's open to us."

The Premier League's decision is a turnaround after it rejected Pompey's initial plea in February.

But in a statement on Wednesday, the Premier League said it had reconsidered after a board meeting last week.

A Premier League statement read: "The Premier League board meeting that convened last week to consider the administration of Portsmouth FC dealt with a number of matters beyond just the application of the sporting sanction (deduction of nine points).

"In accordance with Premier League rules, postponement of the suspension of Portsmouth FC as a member club was conditional on a number of undertakings being given by the administrators.

606: DEBATE

If a player is sold, do they have to go on gardening leave? Can they stay at Pompey "on loan" for the remainder of this season?

devonFRATTONiser

"These have now been received to the satisfaction of the board and therefore it has decided to allow Portsmouth FC to make player sales."

However, Portsmouth must fulfil certain conditions before any sales can go through. They are:

1. Players may be sold to other Premier League Clubs but may not play first team football for the new club before the end of the season.

2. Players may be sold to a Football League or foreign club, subject to Fifa's approval.

3. Portsmouth FC may enter into an agreement with another Premier League, Football League or foreign club that a player will be transferred to that other club in the summer.

Pompey, who have had four owners this season, went into administration last month after contesting a winding-up order.

That resulted in the points deduction which has left them 11 points adrift at the foot of the table.

In order to raise funds, the debt-ridden club initially appealed last month to be allowed to sell players outside the transfer window.

In line with the rest of Europe, there are two transfer windows a year in England, running from 1 January to 31 January and from 1 June to 31 August.

Portsmouth sold three players in the last window but their financial position has since worsened.