The old Chris Hughton discussion thread

Parky
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

I can understand playing Guthrie on the wing. We were playing well with Barton as the "winger" crossing from deep, and putting Guthrie there is ostensibly a simple like-for-like that doesn't require us to change a successful system. It didn't work so we don't try it anymore.

Saying Shola shouldn't play is all good and fine until you consider the alternatives. Out of him, Best, Lovenkrands, and Ranger, can you honestly say with a straight face that Ameobi is not the most likely to score over the course of 90 minutes?

The problem isn't Ameobi's potential, which has always been high.

The problem is that when you name AMeobi to the starting XI he'll nab a goal and be a handful for defenders or he'll control and dribble like frankenstein with a charlie horse, lose possession and sap your will to live. 

Loven and Ranger, despite not having a better upside to their game, seem at least more consistent in what you get.  A better known quantity to work with.

I agree that you can argue both ways. Clearly the fact that we're having this conversation proves that "picking Ameobi" isn't a surefire indicator that Hughton is a terrible manager?

I'm not one of the opinion he's a terrible manager.

I'm of the opinion picking shola is a terrible choice because he's shite more often than good and let's face it, is never going to be consistently good. 

I think Chris took a gamble starting him today and it didn't pay off.

Saying Shola shouldn't play is all good and fine until you consider the alternatives. Out of him, Best, Lovenkrands, and Ranger, can you honestly say with a straight face that Ameobi is not the most likely to score over the course of 90 minutes?

There isn't a sensible mind on this forum that wanted Shola Ameobi to start that game after that utter nonsense last weekend.

I'm sure you'd be jumping with joy seeing Lovenkrands in his place then.

And where did I say that?

Shola looks crocked to me. Him starting was the major mistake today. With Barton and Nolan out, it was always going to be a struggle, but no need to be a player down from the start.

If he wants to go two big men, he could have done so with Best.

Struggle to see why days like today are totally blamed on Hughton.

Hughton thread, we talk Hughton in here.

Difficult concept to grasp I know.  :lol:

Eh? That post makes no sense. 

So, because there's a thread about Hughton, he must be blamed for the defeat?

Where did I say that?

Fun making shit up is it?

If you want to berate a player, go look in their thread, plenty of people will be having a go. This is Hughtons so people are talking about his failing ans shortcomings as a manager at this level.

Shola captain, when there's Campbell and Steven Taylor on the pitch.

Lovenkrands brought on ahead of Best and Ranger.

A general complete lack of ideas in changing formation or attempting a plan b when the chips are down.

Starting unfit players.

All stupid and basic mistakes that keep getting made time and time again.

I can understand playing Guthrie on the wing. We were playing well with Barton as the "winger" crossing from deep, and putting Guthrie there is ostensibly a simple like-for-like that doesn't require us to change a successful system. It didn't work so we don't try it anymore.

Guthrie was tried on the wing too many times last season and it didn't work so why try it again this season?  How many times to we need to keep trying failed players in certain positions?  As for Shola, playing him today is proof as to why he shouldn't have started.  :lol:

Where did I say that?

Fun making s*** up is it?

If you want to berate a player, go look in their thread, plenty of people will be having a go. This is Hughtons so people are talking about his failing ans shortcomings as a manager at this level.

So what are you trying to say then? I know this is the Hughton thread, where did i say we couldn't discuss him?

So unless you've got a decent argument against my point, why dont you shut up and stop pointing out the obvious in an attempt to.... infact i'm not sure what you were even attempting to say with that post. :lol:

Shola captain, when there's Campbell and Steven Taylor on the pitch.

Lovenkrands brought on ahead of Best and Ranger.

A general complete lack of ideas in changing formation or attempting a plan b when the chips are down.

Starting unfit players.

All stupid and basic mistakes that keep getting made time and time again.

And ignored simply because we won a game or 2, 4 weeks ago.

Guthrie was tried on the wing too many times last season and it didn't work so why try it again this season?  How many times to we need to keep trying failed players in certain positions?  As for Shola, playing him today is proof as to why he shouldn't have started.  :lol:

Guthrie was better in the centre but got a lot of assists out wide because he had more time and space.

The mistake is playing him in the centre at this level tbh because he is too weak, slow and has absolutely no stamina at all. He would be more useful out wide because his delivery can be decent but in all honesty he just shouldn't be on the pitch.

Don't know what makes Shola undroppable even when injured - doing him or the team no favours - was like playing with ten men for 45 mins - set up too deep and didn't press the ball high enough - Gutierrez was just plain lazy - sol looked like a fifty year old trying to dance - carroll too greedy

Where did I say that?

Fun making s*** up is it?

So what are you trying to say then? I know this is the Hughton thread, where did i say we couldn't discuss him?

So unless you've got a decent argument against my point, why dont you shut up and stop pointing out the obvious in an attempt to.... infact i'm not sure what you were even attempting to say with that post. :lol:

You cried that Hughton is getting 'totally blamed' for todays defeat, he isn't, plenty of people are taking their deserved criticism just in other threads with their name on it. Keep up doylem.

With a thread bare squad and 6 first team players missing through injury/suspension,it seems mental that people are blaming Hughton for this.

I agree, our weakness today was mainly down to Guthrie not turning up, the alternative was Smith.  :lol:

Might as well have not read my post. We were successful playing a certain way and putting Guthrie on the wing allowed us to continue playing that way. You have to look at it in context.

It's easy to say that Ameobi is s*** when you can pretend that we have clear-cut alternatives.

Guthrie was better in the centre but got a lot of assists out wide because he had more time and space.

The mistake is playing him in the centre at this level tbh because he is too weak, slow and has absolutely no stamina at all. He would be more useful out wide because his delivery can be decent but in all honesty he just shouldn't be on the pitch.

Guthrie has a record of 1 assist every 3 games for us last season and most of them came from the centre of midfield, Routledge had a record of 1 assist every 2 games while playing on the wing.  This season Guthrie doesn't have an assist Routledge does.  Routledge had a goal every 5 games last season, Guthrie scored a goal every 9 games.

Guthrie has a record of 1 assist every 3 games for us last season and most of them came from the centre of midfield, Routledge had a record of 1 assist every 2 games while playing on the wing.  This season Guthrie doesn't have an assist Routledge does.  Routledge had a goal every 5 games last season, Guthrie scored a goal every 9 games.

Guthrie got an assist today.

Might as well have not read my post. We were successful playing a certain way and putting Guthrie on the wing allowed us to continue playing that way. You have to look at it in context.

It's easy to say that Ameobi is s*** when you can pretend that we have clear-cut alternatives.

I did read your post and you said that you can understand playing Guthrie on the wing, I can't understand that as he's not good enough to play in that position and it's been proven almost every time he plays on the wing.  We do have clear cut alternatives to Ameobi, they are not as good as him when he's on top of his game, like when we played Sunderland.  They are better than him when he plays the way he has since that game.

Why the f*** does Routledge constantly cut inside?

Why has nobody told him to use his pace and hit the byline. If anything thats a lack of confidence for me like.

I thought he should have stayed on.

Yep, my opinion cannot settle one way or the other either. Maybe he's a 'middle of the road' manager?

A few pages back now, but it's this imo. Sometimes he'll get decisions right, and sometimes he won't. He's not going to be a world beater, he won't help us progress very far, but he'll keep us stable. Think he'll just end up in the bracket of McCarthy, Pulis, Bruce etc. He'll just drift from club to club over the years if he stays in management after us.