The old Chris Hughton discussion thread

Parky
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Shearer dropped him.

Hughton dropped him for the Arsenal game. Shearer was appointed and immediately restored him (amid a little bit of fanfare IIRC) for the next four games. It was only at that point that Shearer dropped him.

Hughton was the first to bite the bullet, though as I said I think Allardyce and Kinnear before him would have liked to, but bottled it.

Kinnear called him 'one of the best players in the world' last season, the clueless, Irish cunt.

I found it hilarious that in Owen's statement re: his contract, the best compliment he could pay to Kinnear's management was that it was "passionate".

Everytime I see Hughton speak now I wear a massive smile from ear to ear. It took time but he's completely won me over. The players absolutely adore him and he's just so likable, I think the whole footballing world is willing him on to succeed. As mentioned earlier, his lack of ego is refreshing and he seems like his head is completely screwed on.

We'll have to see if he can cut it in the Premiership but he's absolutely earned another shot, by the wonderful things he's done this season. WE LOVE YOU, CHRIS!!  :smitten:

Yeah our hero is already saying there won't be many transfers and that last years failures are now ready for the PL. Laughable.

That being the case it's a chance for him to prove what a good manager / coach he is by getting out of them something no one could just over 12 months ago.

I think he said in January that we were getting 1 or 2 in. We ended up bringing in 6 and making an offer for Moses. I wouldn't read too much into it but the timing is surprising.

this managers lie a lot never take what they say (especially on transfers) at face value

As others have said he is hardly going to say "well we have quite a few of shit players, so yes we will be buying quite a few".

He will be on a limited budget so unfortunately we will have to play some players we would rather not next season. Obviously to those who seem desperate for him to fail that will be his fault though.

As others have said he is hardly going to say "well we have quite a few of shit players, so yes we will be buying quite a few".

He will be on a limited budget so unfortunately we will have to play some players we would rather not next season. Obviously to those who seem desperate for him to fail that will be his fault though.

And for those who think the sun shines out of his arse, it won't matter how badly we might do, none of it will be his fault. O0

And for those who think the sun shines out of his arse, it won't matter how badly we might do, none of it will be his fault. O0

:snod:

Hughton wants to bring in some staff members - but not a director of football  O0

Chris Hughton scouting for more staff

Chris Hughton

CHRIS Hughton will look to expand his backroom staff this summer as he attempts to ensure Newcastle United are a Premier League operation again, but he has dismissed reports Mike Ashley intends to appoint a Director of Football.

Given the behaviour or former Executive Director (football) Dennis Wise and the controversy which led to Kevin Keegan’s resignation, the possibility of someone else coming in with a similar remit is bound to spark concern.

Hughton stressed every director of football is different in the role they perform and many do no have control of transfer strategy.

However, he denied Newcastle are going to bring one in this summer after his recent conversations with managing-director Derek Llambias.

Instead, Hughton will try to bolster the number of coaches and scouts as the cost-cutting of relegation can be eased with the return of top-flight football to Tyneside.

He said: “The backroom staff and the scouting side of thing do need to be built up again.

“It is difficult to start that until you are a Premier League team again.

“There are areas, scouting for example and technology, where we are keen to push on now we know we are back there.

“There are lots of areas we are evaluating at the moment.

“A director of football is not someone I believe we are planning to bring in here.

“What I have been told about the reports last week of one here is that there is absolutely no fact in them.

“Some clubs have gone down that route, but it is just a title.

“I also think there are some clubs where the chief scout is the director of football, at others the chief executive is the director of football, or the club secretary.

“Some have a bigger responsibility on the scouting side and others who are more involved with the administration, contracts and so on – but as far as I know it is not something we are looking at here.”

http://www.journallive.co.uk/nufc/newcastle-united-news/2010/05/01/chris-hughton-scouting-for-more-staff-61634-26354980/2/

I thought he did a sterling job last season but I've drawn a line under that now. Doing well in the premier is a different kettle of fish and I'll judge him according to what he does from here on in. I'm especially interested to see if he manages to upgrade the quality of the squad and if he's going to have the strength of character to drop influential players this campaign who might not be good enough to step up a division. There are certain midfield combinations he used this season which would get slaughtered in the premier.

As others have said he is hardly going to say "well we have quite a few of s*** players, so yes we will be buying quite a few".

I thought he did a sterling job last season but I've drawn a line under that now. Doing well in the premier is a different kettle of fish and I'll judge him according to what he does from here on in. I'm especially interested to see if he manages to upgrade the quality of the squad and if he's going to have the strength of character to drop influential players this campaign who might not be good enough to step up a division. There are certain midfield combinations he used this season which would get slaughtered in the premier.

Spot on Big Tron - I share your views.

There is little doubt in my mind that Hughton WILL have a transfer budget - it may be 15m, it may be more, but for sure, Ashley does not want the club to go back down after escaping the CCC this season.

I for one - and most of the fans - will expect some signings that will give the club a decent chance of staying up, and running with the current squad is not an option for survival in my view.

Nobody expects 10m signings galore but most will expect the team's Prem deficiencies to be addressed and that means at least 3 decent signings..we all know which positions these need to fill.

As you say, Hughton will have to be prepared to drop those who are not going to be up to the faster pace and skills requirements, no matter WHO they are - this will be a major factor in determining whether he makes a success of the job or not.

As far as I'm concerned, this season is 'job done'...now its time to get stuck into preparation for next season ; waiting until July before strengthening the squad will be a bad sign as to what is going to be done because any potential signings from WC squads may see their value rocket if they happen to do well.

Players that are targets in the UK should have been judged on their merits over the past season or so in any case. We will face stern competition for so-called 'bargain' signings from established Prem clubs because everyone is trying to save money apart from Man C etc.

Essential to get the players we need without penny-pinching over a month's salary - its not an easy job being a Prem manager but that is what they get paid for and if Hughton ducks out of strengthening the squad because he is too loyal to the current bunch, he will get no sympathy from me if he starts to fail - and he won't deserve any.