The old Chris Hughton discussion thread

Parky
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Guest neesy111

I don't see why he should get the blame for the players performing poorly...

It's give and take.

Managers will always get the praise when teams play well, and get stick when they don't.

I've said this several times this season, but if people are going to praise him when the team wins, expect criticism when we lose/players underperform.

Eh? if it's not up to the manager how the players perform there's not much point having one.

Guest Heneage

It's give and take.

Managers will always get the praise when teams play well, and get stick when they don't.

Right but what is he supposed to do about Tiote making a stupid mistake and the defence not dealing with a long ball effectively?

Guest neesy111

It's give and take.

Right but what is he supposed to do about Tiote making a stupid mistake and the defence not dealing with a long ball effectively?

Your overreacting to some peoples reactions tbh,

Home form still got a huge question mark over it.

Stoke, Wigan, Blackpool and Blackburn are teams we should be beating. At least one of them, hell I'd take a couple of draws.

One point from 12 from that lot. Jesus wept.

We really need to start well on Saturday otherwise the support will get twitchy and the players will begin to doubt themselves.

Stoke, Wigan, Blackpool and Blackburn are teams we should be beating. At least one of them, hell I'd take a couple of draws.

One point from 12 from that lot. Jesus wept.

We really need to start well on Saturday otherwise the support will get twitchy and the players will begin to doubt themselves.

:sadnod:

Worst thing that could happen as well, as confidence means so much to this side. We play so much better when the tails are up.

:nods:

The players looked like they hadn't recovered from Sunday which is possibly understandable, but tonight wasn't a new problem and if he doesn't address the home form quickly (with the 'easier games' running out) there can be little complaint if he doesn't get the new contract.

If it's not sorted soon we'll end up back in trouble again too.

Guest Heneage

It's give and take.

Your overreacting to some peoples reactions tbh,

What? :lol:

The side put in a huge shift at Arsenal. Its understandable we were a little jaded, especially considering Blackburn had the extra recovery day.

He was  tactical naive tonight. Why we played so high in the second half after we drew is mind boggling an experienced manager might tighten things up by bringing Campbell and STaylor.  I love CH but it would be great if he hire some one old and experienced  as his assistant. I would Suggest George Graham.

Thought his tactics were alright to begin with. An unchanged in from side, if it ain't broken and all that. It's not like he can prevent the basic defensive errors that cost us goals tonight. Add the fact his most creative player is on the treatment table and  I don't think he did a lot wrong. I'd of perhaps brought Rouledge on instead of Ranger but you can see why he made the change he did.

If given the choice, I'd give up victories at Arsenal, Everton and West Ham for wins over Stoke, Blackpool and Blackburn.

At least we'd have won the games we should have and lost those we're expected to. Itd be easier to make sense of.

If given the choice, I'd give up victories at Arsenal, Everton and West Ham for wins over Stoke, Blackpool and Blackburn.

At least we'd have won the games we should have and lost those we're expected to. Itd be easier to make sense of.

Definately, but at the same time beating the better sides makes me think we're possibly not as bad a side as the defeats to the poorer sides suggest.  That just makes it more annoying though.

It makes things more confusing. We've shown how well we can perform, so why do we insist on looking like a completely different side.

At least it would make sense if we won at home and lost away.

Guest Heneage

I'd disagree Jonny, better to beat good sides as we know we can play well, if we were getting beaten off them, then you'd have to question our quality.

Yet four pathetic home performances doesn't put a question mark on our ability?

How would it question our ability? Its Arsenal and Everton man. They're miles better than us. We'd have just licked the wounds and got on with it. Noone ever expected us to get anything from them.

My only worry for Hughton is that we'll win very few games at home, and a lot at SJP don't care about the away games, to some extent. The crowd will eventually forget where we were last season and begin to demand results.

My only worry for Hughton is that we'll win very few games at home, and a lot at SJP don't care about the away games, to some extent. The crowd will eventually forget where we were last season and begin to demand results.

:nods:

I can't realistically see us keeping up the rate we're collecting points away from home, which is why we need to sort the home form asap.

Thought his tactics were alright to begin with. An unchanged in from side, if it ain't broken and all that. It's not like he can prevent the basic defensive errors that cost us goals tonight. Add the fact his most creative player is on the treatment table and  I don't think he did a lot wrong. I'd of perhaps brought Rouledge on instead of Ranger but you can see why he made the change he did.

Good post.

The way I see it, we were tasked with breaking down a side that had very little footballing ambition. That's just a fact that had to be dealt with - and we succeeded. Carroll scored.

Unfortunately, we also made two fairly uncharacteristic gaffs in our box and they got two goals. They didn't really have much of an attacking sniff, those two mistakes aside.

Maybe we could have created more going forward, but I don't think we were impotent by any means - Ben Arfa out, Ameobi carrying a knock, Ranger vastly inexperienced and a thin squad - nothing we didn't already know before kick-off.

Not much Hughton has done wrong here.

With retrospect, I think Campbell would have played fantastically tonight - pretty much tailor-made to deal with Roberts' brawn. That said, hindsight is 20-20 and dropping Colo/Willy after Sunday would be rather strange if it was done for anything other than fitness reasons.

Roll on Fulham and redemption.  :rockyII:

Think that's a pretty good post Beren, nothing Hughton can do about Tiote gifting them a goal right at the start of the game.

He does need to find a way to help the players break down these defensive teams though, that's a big part of the challenge this season. We probably don't benefit from teams being open against us as other "newly-promoted sides".

I would have liked to have seen him go with Routledge tonight, to stretch the game a bit and give their left side something to think about.

Can see why he went with the same team after a great performance at Arsenal, I'm not so sure why the players resorted to long balls and hopeful diagonal passes so often.