The old Chris Hughton discussion thread

Parky
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Not really wishing to add to the silliness but I'd rather have Pardew than O'Neill.

To take it to a totally insane level some macums are concerned that we may be lining up Bruce.

One Chrissy Hughton, one Chrissy Hughton.....................................

Bruce wouldn't leave the Mackems to come here.

You're probably right. Although trust me if he was asked and he could, he would.

Wish I hadn't written it now, as even with the words "totally insane level" included it looks like it's been picked up on.

Wasn't meant to be serious lads. Honest.

Cheer up Stevie Bruce..............................

The thought of losing Hughton makes me feel physically sick. First manager i've had any liking or respect for since SBR left other than KK's brief tenure. Just when the club had some vague credibility back too.

i'm not hughton's biggest fan, but looking at the situation pragmatically i'd give him a contract for a couple of years.

first of all we're not going to get anyone significantly better. if hughton goes it is yet another sign that Ashley is trigger happy, unpredictable and ungrateful and few managers will want to work for him. and as we saw last time, when ashley refused to give Venables a medium term contract, we'd be left with another JFK.

Secondly i reckon Hughton needs the extra credibility and authority that being tenured would bring him, especially if rumours of training ground indiscipline are true. no other manager in the league is having to come out and say that senior players dont pick the side - it's a sign a weakness that hughton has to come out and say this in the first place. and furthermore a contract would enable him to confidently go out and sign the backroom staff and new players that we need - assistants, or fitness coaches, or star strikers, are going to think twice about coming here if hughton's always a couple of weeks from leaving.

and fuck, even if we do go down, hughton now has experience of that particular situation.

i'm not saying he's the one to lead us to glory and should be given a 5 year contract, as for me there's still doubts as to his overall ability. but for the short to medium term we have to stick with him as there's no other option.

oh well.

all sense goes out the window yet again.

honestly, is there a bigger idiot in all of world football than mike ashley?

Would be absolutely farcical if Ashley didn't renew Hughton's contract after everything that has happened. The club needs stability right now and Hughton has laid the foundation and is on course to achieving that. I'm not too worried because I believe this is all media nonsense as usual and I just cannot accept that Ashley would make yet another catastrophic mistake because no-one could be that stupid.

I actually feel sick

Think the club need to back him with a contract this week and bring in a No2 or get rid. Don't think the middle ground is helping us here, it might be the right business decision (and for a while I backed it thinking its what's best for the club) but unrest, odds dropping, form dire, its all building up to decision time anyway so they might as well take the initiative and make a quick decision.

He's a middle of the road manager at best, but that with the entire backing of the club is good enough for us right now, but with uncertainty spreading causing problems and its undermining his position as manager. Without a stable long term future he's got nothing on the players, falls out with one and they'll not give a shit since a few more poor performances and its likely he's gone anyway if not end of the season, a player can wait that out. Sort of SBR in his final season after FFS announced he'd be leaving.

Either way I want his position sorted ASAP and we can move on and unite the club.

I don't think we can define him as a manager just yet, but other than that I totally agree.

Neither did Ashley.  :undecided:

Guest Stephen927
Regrettably the board now feels that an individual with more managerial experience is needed to take the club forward.

Why not O'Neill?

He would never work with someone like Ashley or Llambias, never.

He's not "one of the lads" enough for A & L (neither's CH either)

Far far far too expensive.

He won't go anywhere where he doesn't get a shit load of money to spend, and where he gets less than 100 percent control of the operation of the club.

This will kill the players morale.

They seemed to have a real affinity with Hughton and are bound to be royally fucked off with the decision.

When the club spirit is just starting to get back a semblance of normality, when things are ticking over ok, when there's been no headlines..............................who ya gonna call...................Clubbusters!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alan_Pardew

Controversies

So far in his career, Pardew has been involved in several controversial issues and events. In 2003, the BBC described him as being a "dangerous and distant animal" in the media, referring to his public relations abilities, which has led him to making several rash comments.[22] When at West Ham, the club employed a media advisor for Pardew to help him win over sceptical fans.[2] The following is a list of controversies Pardew has been involved in:

* In September 2003, Pardew resigned from Reading after being refused permission to become manager at West Ham. Reading's chairman John Madejski attempted to create an injunction in the High Court to prevent him from moving to West Ham. Eventually Reading's legal action was dropped, and Pardew joined West Ham after a period of gardening leave.[6]

* In December 2005, Pardew stated a public interest in Crystal Palace striker Andy Johnson, without informing Palace manager Iain Dowie.[23]

* In March 2006, Pardew had a dispute with Arsenal manager Arsène Wenger, after he criticised Arsenal for failing to field an English player in their UEFA Champions League win against Real Madrid.[24] Wenger suggested that Pardew was being xenophobic,[25] a claim Pardew denied, citing his marriage to a Swedish wife.[26]

* In November 2006, Pardew had another dispute with Wenger after celebrating West Ham's win over Arsenal.[27] Wenger claimed he was "provoked" into pushing Pardew after Pardew's celebrations at West Ham's late win.[28] Wenger was later fined by the Football Association,[29] whilst Pardew was cleared of the charges in January 2007.[30]

* In February 2007, shortly before Pardew's new club Charlton faced West Ham, The Sun published a report documenting a video of one of Pardew's media training sessions he took whilst manager at West Ham. In the video, Pardew jokingly made several disparaging comments about West Ham's fans.[31]

* In October 2007, Pardew intervened on the pitch in a match against Hull City to try and break up a confrontation between Charlton and Hull players after Lloyd Sam and Ian Ashbee were sent-off. Pardew denied he made the situation worse by intervening.[32]

* In March 2009, on Match of the Day 2 Pardew stated that Chelsea midfielder Michael Essien "absolutely rapes" Man City player Ched Evans during a midfield tussle for the ball, in the sense that he bested him physically.[33] The BBC said there will be no on-air apology, despite 35 viewer complaints, insisting it had been misheard as "rakes", and expressing no certainty that Pardew would appear, or not appear on the show again.[34]

Sorry to say it, but you know pretty much for certain who's going to be next.

http://static.guim.co.uk/sys-images/Football/Pix/pictures/2008/11/18/1227047905393/Joe-Kinnear-001.jpg

Thats not who he means btw.