The old Chris Hughton discussion thread

Parky
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

I think it's been blatantly obvious all season that the long ball tactics have geniunely held us back. When we get the ball down and the wide men, we tend to anihilate defences.

You're making him out to have only just discovered this magical new tictac. Hughton presumably went for Routledge to allow us to more effectively do just that, no?

Fair enough, but there were times earlier on in the season when we didn't use Jose and Jonas as much as we do now, to great effect.

True, but I think it's hard not to accept that much of the reason for that was that without the balance of two fit wingers he was easier to neutralise while the majority of the defenders focus was on him.

It's only since he's started playing Guthrie/Nolan together on a regular basis that's we've taken off the shackles of long ball and the introduction of Routledge.

It will help us next season.

Fair enough, but there were times earlier on in the season when we didn't use Jose and Jonas as much as we do now, to great effect.

True, but I think it's hard not to accept that much of the reason for that was that without the balance of two fit wingers he was easier to neutralise while the majority of the defenders focus was on him.

Absolutely, I said when Routledge signed that we'd see Jonas thrive. That said, as daft lad has just mentioned, there was no excuse for not having Guthrie in the middle and using his range of passing to create opportunities.

Absolutely, I said when Routledge signed that we'd see Jonas thrive. That said, as daft lad has just mentioned, there was no excuse for not having Guthrie in the middle and using his range of passing to create opportunities.

I too was clamouring for Guthrie to get his chance centrally quicker than he did, but could understand his reticence up to a point.

I guess it boiled down to who we could stick on the right, Pancrate is hit and miss at best, and beyond that we're struggling without Routledge.

Shame it took him all season to figure it out. A lot of us had that one sussed by October.

passing it out from the back? i got taught that when i was about 8

You got taught that our 2009-10 squad was better suited to playing football on the deck when you were 8? Explains a fair bit.

Shame it took him all season to figure it out. A lot of us had that one sussed by October.

passing it out from the back? i got taught that when i was about 8

You got taught that our 2009-10 squad was better suited to playing football on the deck when you were 8? Explains a fair bit.

no. i take your point, the fact that certain squads are better suited to certain ways of playing isnt lost on me. however, we have the best footballers in the league. not to mention two good footballing full backs. it should be obvious that we play out from the back. you dont get any special points for 'having it sussed by october'.

Guest firetotheworks

Weirdly, he got us doing what we should be doing when the first team is fit. Getting at them from the start. I hope it continues, it sounds like we played well.