Mike Williamson (now managing MK Dons)

Ritchie

Basically, we need more than two decent defenders.

assuming that's supposed to answer my question, let me clarify, why is HE coming here? promising championship defender gets a move to the premier league, gets unlucky and for whatever reason doesnt get played, then signs up for more time on the bench....back in the championship, nothing about that strikes you as a bit odd?

unless we're paying him big wages? nah

he's guranteed first team football? nah

he doesnt actually think he's that good and wants to sit on the bench? erm

his only reason for coming here is just to get away from pompey? maybe

assuming that's supposed to answer my question, let me clarify, why is HE coming here? promising championship defender gets a move to the premier league, gets unlucky and for whatever reason doesnt get played, then signs up for more time on the bench....back in the championship, nothing about that strikes you as a bit odd?

One injury to either Taylor or Coloccini and he's in.  He puts in 2 or 3 good performances and who knows?  Although I suppose you believe neither CB are going to get injured, like ever.

So say Coloccini is injured and Taylor suspended for a vital match.

I'd rather Kadar and Williamson than have Tozer or Simpson anywhere near the CB position.

We'd have sufficient depth at CB.  4 we could play with reasonable quality.

I say all this assuming Williamson's an average CB.

Pompey might well have told him to fuck off if they can't actually afford to play him. Or pay him, for that matter. Maybe he just wants to play football? Maybe he thinks it's a good career move? Maybe he just wants his wage on time?

http://img15.imageshack.us/img15/9633/williamson.th.jpg

Pompey might well have told him to fuck off if they can't actually afford to play him. Or pay him, for that matter. Maybe he just wants to play football? Maybe he thinks it's a good career move? Maybe he just wants his wage on time?

yeah all reasonable points. btw i'm 'not picking holes' to whoever said that above. it is a forum, after all, for discussion. i'll be happy if we sign him as i know we need cover, just wondering what his reasons are. SOZ LIKE.

I can't believe some are moaning that we might be signing a 4th centre back when most clubs rely on having 5 or 6.

Fair enough we need players in other positions but we do NEED another centre back in case we get an injury to Taylor or Colo (or god forbid both).

It gives the option to rest either Taylor or Colo for certain games. This lad is 6' 4", may be useful against the more physical sides.

True. The Championship isn't the most...technical league in the world.

Neither is the Premier League when you're a central defender.

It gives the option to rest either Taylor or Colo for certain games. This lad is 6' 4", may be useful against the more physical sides.

True. The Championship isn't the most...technical league in the world.

Neither is the Premier League when you're a central defender.

Prob along the lines of Wheater/Huth.... should be OK.... soon find out won't we!