Mike Williamson (now managing MK Dons)

Ritchie

For England.

Might sound like a stupid question but is this even realistic?

As far as I can tell, the England team is a closed shop. For instance, it took years for Forster to get a look. There has not been a debut for a defender in more than two years.

Would love it but I can't see it happening.

Krul probably deserves a shout too for player of the season so far. I can't remember too many of the goals having his "fingerprints on it"

What happened to the moke williamson image? :lol:

So if hge keeps his place and we get a top 6 finish, think he has a chance of Word Cup squad?

No I hear you say and you would be right, typical as usual England big boys who let us down time and time again will get the nod.

Guest neesy111

He'd have to keep up his form right till end of the season to have any slim chance of making the squad.  Depends whether Woy likes him or not as well....

To get into the England squad, he'd have to show he's actually better than the current incumbents. Willo lacks pace and in any case, Hodgson will rightfully go for the younger players with potential like Smalling or Jones, all other things being equal.

Willo is streetwise and uses his experience well, but he'd be found out at the very top level. And the way the game is played at international level, you really need centre backs who are mobile, rather than simply strong in the air.

Not a chance in hell! Yes, he's had a run of games where he has defended well but a top class centre back knows how to pass a ball and should be able to contribute transitioning from defence to attack... Come on ffs, he's playing well but this England stuff is ridiculous!

P.S. or is this some big whoosh that I'm currently caught in?

Not a chance in hell! Yes, he's had a run of games where he has defended well but a top class centre back knows how to pass a ball and should be able to contribute transitioning from defence to attack... Come on ffs, he's playing well but this England stuff is ridiculous!

P.S. or is this some big whoosh that I'm currently caught in?

its either hell or heaven on this board. National team material FFS.

Guest DebuchyAndTheBeast

He is on form and has already proven his worth against some of the best strikers in the league. However his age means  he'll  be playing in at most 2 international competitions, which is against the policy of growth and continuity of players in a national team. The old stereotypical British defender  tag still sticks to him because of his rise from lower leagues which will also play against him.

• 2 weeks later...

In the Independent's 'Most under-rated players of the year' (alongside Gouffran-ran-ran). Take a bow son etc...

CB - Mike Williamson (Newcastle)

Having initially plied his trade in the lower leagues of English football, the journeyman defender seems to have finally found a home in the North East, nearing 100 league appearances for the Magpies. Since Newcastle won promotion to the Premier League in 2010, they have kept 33 clean sheets - understatedly, Williamson has started 23 of these. Confident on the ball, the centre back is also partial to a step over from time to time.

Did you know?

Williamson has only committed four fouls in 11 Premier League games this season, while picking up no bookings or red cards.

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/news-and-comment/the-most-underrated-players-in-the-premier-league-9015857.html

Guest coalminer

I'm not one to get carried away but where does Iron Mike sit in the pecking order of English CBs who are eligible for the WC?

Probably 4th by my reckoning of current form:

Jagielka

Cahill

Lescott

Williamson

Jones

Smalling

However, I know that selection for England isn't based on form, it's based on who you play for, so he won't be on the plane to Brazil.