Mike Williamson (now managing MK Dons)

Ritchie

They can always go back to school or learn a trade.

At age 35~40? It's possible, but not easy.

You've actually reminded me that this problem is even worse in the UK since footballers don't really have a college degree or any sort of education to fall back on.

I also find it silly that people lambast players sometimes for "sitting on the bench and picking up a check."

Footballers - especially marginal ones like Williamson - more or less have a ten-year window in which to eke out every cent from their skills that they possibly can and then feed their family for the remainder of their lives off that money. If I was in his position, I would never give up a significantly higher wage to go to the Championship just so I could (maybe) start more games.

10~20k a week seems like a lot, but it's really much less than that when you consider that after retirement, the best job this guy is likely to get for the remaining 50~60 years of his life is probably a lower-league manager position.

Easy there, Guardianista. Next you'll be blaming Israel.

Come on. Going back to school at 35 isn't easy for millionaire? Of course it is.

Is starting a new career at age 35 easy when you've spent your entire life within the bubble of the footballing world, have no formal education, and no marketable skills?

There's a reason so many athletes go bankrupt despite the massive amount of money they receive during their youth. I'm not saying that they have a hard life relative to other people who have to struggle for any sort of job from day one, but it's not a situation where they have so much money that they can afford to make mistakes and do whatever the fuck they want like a lot of fans imagine.

I also find it silly that people lambast players sometimes for "sitting on the bench and picking up a check."

Footballers - especially marginal ones like Williamson - more or less have a ten-year window in which to eke out every cent from their skills that they possibly can and then feed their family for the remainder of their lives off that money. If I was in his position, I would never give up a significantly higher wage to go to the Championship just so I could (maybe) start more games.

10~20k a week seems like a lot, but it's really much less than that when you consider that after retirement, the best job this guy is likely to get for the remaining 50~60 years of his life is probably a lower-league manager position.

Wouldn't expect him to take a big pay cut to leave.  Having said that he earns more in 1 year than a reasonably well paid normal worker in this area will earn in their life time.  In the time he's been here already he's likely been made a millionaire 4 or 5 times over, and that's if we assume he was bankrupt when we brought him in.  Shouldn't be difficult to "eke out" enough to live on for the rest of his life from that lot to be honest.

Mike could easily transition into many real world roles.  For instance, he has all the attributes to be a leader in the field of

http://www.urban75.org/london/images/london-billboards-02.jpg

Static - check.

Tall - check.

Perfect.

Wouldn't expect him to take a big pay cut to leave.  Having said that he earns more in 1 year than a reasonably well paid normal worker in this area will earn in their life time.  In the time he's been here already he's likely been made a millionaire 4 or 5 times over, and that's if we assume he was bankrupt when we brought him in.  Shouldn't be difficult to "eke out" enough to live on for the rest of his life from that lot to be honest.

There's a big difference between struggling for a living from day one and getting huge checks starting as a teenager which suddenly stop at age 35 though. People should have the foresight to save up this money wisely, but that's difficult for most athletes, who have very little education and receive a lot of bad advice from the opportunists and hanger-ons in their entourage.

We should also distinguish between someone who's making $200k a week at Man City and someone like Williamson who's probably making somewhere around 500k~1m a year post tax. That's a lot of money, but it's hardly Scrooge McDuck level.

Well the more someone gets paid the less they value money so they can always bankrupt themselves if they're stupid enough and spend frivolously enough.  But the fact remains that when you're earning close to a million pounds a year you don't exactly have to eke out ever penny to insure you're set for life.  Especially in a area like Newcastle where living expenses are quite low.  You only have to have some kind of sense, just the smallest amount will do.  If you have none then no amount of money is going to save you anyway.

Like I said I don't expect him to leave for a significantly lower wage so I agree in a way with what you're saying.  A player of his ability should probably expect to earn maybe 200-250k a year after tax.  Somehow he's managed to hit the lottery of 3 or 4 times that amount on a 5 year contract here and he'll obviously milk it for everything he can get so he can live the rest of his life as a millionaire without ever having to get off his arse again.

Was just describing it as ekeing out and talk of 10-20k not really being a lot considering the length of time he can earn it that got me really :)

McClaren also reckons they have worked "tirelessly" on improving a defence that was the second-worst in the Premier League last season.

Played 405 minutes of preseason. Only Sissoko played more.

:lol: Incidentally we've been fucking dogshit.

http://i.imgur.com/snDHpY7.jpg

I just don't understand the need to take Williamson in to another season. Just get rid, even if on a free, and buy a better player. Even if we can't find a bargain just buy someone for under £5m. I'd wager we could find someone better than him easily.

I just don't understand the need to take Williamson in to another season. Just get rid, even if on a free, and buy a better player. Even if we can't find a bargain just buy someone for under £5m. I'd wager we could find someone better than him easily.

As a minimum make him last choice and start Lascelles. He might not be great, in fact he might be shit, but I'd rather find out than know what Williamson is going to do. Again.

Literally never seen someone so unable to control or pass a football. I've made it a  point to watch defenders in lesser leagues or clubs and they all look competent or able to kick, trap and pass.

I think Williamson is as bad as what I see from Sean St Ledger of my beloved Orlando City

• 2 weeks later...