Mike Williamson (now managing MK Dons)

Ritchie

I hate it when people make it personal. It's different with managers because you see their personality every week on the TV.

This is Mike Williamson FFS, he looks as harmless as you can get. A nice guy, a good professional but a player way our of his depth at this level. I don't expect him to look at it like that, he probably thinks he's Maldini.

It's the old regime that is to blame. Pardew, Carver, Stone and to a lesser extent, the hierarchy for not replacing him.

None of us know McClaren's intentions. Let's pray.

Don't think that's the case at all. Remember an interview with him a few years ago and he actually said he couldn't believe a player like him was at a club the size of Newcastle. He'll know he's not good enough, and he isn't, but as long as they keep putting his name down on the teamsheet he's hardly going to refuse to play (like others have in the past). It's entirely the fault of the club that he's still here, not his and anyone booing him needs to give their head a shake. Hopefully he's moved on to a Championship club for a nominal fee but I've got a feeling he'll still be here this time next year.

He was abysmal yesterday, and against a lower division team. the way the player left him standing in the middle of the pitch and he was no where near recovering the ground. Somebody please sink "battleship mike" ffs!

At what point does personal pride come into it though? Surely he knows himself that he's out of his depth to such an extent that his own fans ridicule him. At what point does he think "I'm getting rinsed every f***ing week here, I'm showing myself up. I'll just look for another club a division lower."

I can understand the ego thing of wanting to stay in the PL. I can understand wanting to milk the opportunity for all its worth but come on, he's got to look himself in the mirror and his own pride needs to tell him to move on.

This. I don't expect him to ask to leave. I expect him to improve though. Even marginal improvements in different areas of his game would make him less detestable. As it is, the cunt thinks he has it made, and I can't stand him for it.

Still be linked with Leeds... Must admit, I hate Leeds - so it'd be a win-win situation if he went there.

He's a Championship defender who is being hung out to dry by us, doesn't help that our other CB options are also poor which makes him look even worse.

Shouldn't be at our club, contract ends next year - mutually terminate his contract so he can move on now for free or send him somewhere on loan for a season so his contract runs out.

Still be linked with Leeds... Must admit, I hate Leeds - so it'd be a win-win situation if he went there.

He's a Championship defender who is being hung out to dry by us, doesn't help that our other CB options are also poor which makes him look even worse.

Shouldn't be at our club, contract ends next year - mutually terminate his contract so he can move on now for free or send him somewhere on loan for a season so his contract runs out.

And you have a picture of him as your avatar :)

In my option people weren't booing him for being crap, people were booing him for delibretly getting sent of against Liecester and his overall attitude.

If people were boing him for his bad performances then where was the boo's for the rest of the squad?

In my option people weren't booing him for being crap, people were booing him for delve arou getting fm sent of against Liecester and his overall attitude.

If people were boing him for his bad performances then where was the boo's for the rest of the squad?

I just think people are fed up with basically our weakest link. That frustration turns to booing, and works as some sort of platform to let the manager know their thoughts on him.

At what point does personal pride come into it though? Surely he knows himself that he's out of his depth to such an extent that his own fans ridicule him. At what point does he think "I'm getting rinsed every fucking week here, I'm showing myself up. I'll just look for another club a division lower."

I can understand the ego thing of wanting to stay in the PL. I can understand wanting to milk the opportunity for all its worth but come on, he's got to look himself in the mirror and his own pride needs to tell him to move on.

I completely agree with this. If I was completely useless at my job my personal pride would make me walk regardless of the wage.

:lol: Fuck. That. A Premier League team signs me up tomorrow, I'm fucking signing. I'll work my tits off in an attempt not to be a liability, but ultimately I'm going to be a useless sack of shit. It is the responsibility of the manager to pick the team, and there's no way I'm telling him "soz gaffa, I'm shit. I'll sit this one out". Not in a hundred billion years would I be doing that.

At what point does personal pride come into it though? Surely he knows himself that he's out of his depth to such an extent that his own fans ridicule him. At what point does he think "I'm getting rinsed every fucking week here, I'm showing myself up. I'll just look for another club a division lower."

I completely agree with this. If I was completely useless at my job my personal pride would make me walk regardless of the wage.

Lies. Especially when the wage is 5 digits every week.

I'd cling on to that job for dear life and milk every cent out of it for as long as I possibly could.

Also most footballers believe they are better than they actually are, it's how they get to being professional footballers to begin with, the arrogance of you are better than anyone else is just a big a reason than anything else. It rings true even for scrubs like Mike Williamson, if you don't believe in yourself then you will find yourself out of the job fast.

I think he has always been professional, intelligent and likeable off the pitch. Seems weird he just fancies sitting fourth choice and picking up the cheque. That said I think he has become delusional to the extent he thinks he can still offer something as a starter. We should have got rid the year after our promotion.

I think he has always been professional, intelligent and likeable off the pitch. Seems weird he just fancies sitting fourth choice and picking up the cheque. That said I think he has become delusional to the extent he thinks he can still offer something as a starter. We should have got rid the year after our promotion.

Fancies sitting fourth choice and picking up a cheque? I don't think he's really been 'first choice' if everyone is fit near enough since he's been here, yet he's totalled up a silly amount of appearances. With permacrock Taylor in front of him and our history of making good defenders look awful, who's to say he won't play another 20 games this season? (God forbid).

Can't blame the lad for sticking round, we so far haven't replaced him well enough or we've had a manager who's a bloody idiot picking him.

A strange chain of events including Mike Ashley buying this club, and us getting relegated has led this man to become a Premier League player. Absolute joke that he made it to this level. No way in hell should other teams in this division be linked with him. 

A strange chain of events including Mike Ashley buying this club, and us getting relegated has led this man to become a Premier League player. Absolute joke that he made it to this level. No way in hell should other teams in this division be linked with him. 

Aye, it's like the old reaction theory, "if a butterfly flaps its wings over the winds of Japan, will Mike Williamson end up being the first choice centre-back at your club for years to come?"

I also find it silly that people lambast players sometimes for "sitting on the bench and picking up a check."

Footballers - especially marginal ones like Williamson - more or less have a ten-year window in which to eke out every cent from their skills that they possibly can and then feed their family for the remainder of their lives off that money. If I was in his position, I would never give up a significantly higher wage to go to the Championship just so I could (maybe) start more games.

10~20k a week seems like a lot, but it's really much less than that when you consider that after retirement, the best job this guy is likely to get for the remaining 50~60 years of his life is probably a lower-league manager position.