Commentators

Astroblack

Jonathan Pearce? f***ing hell. He's one of the worst. Just talks complete rubbish. He starts sentences without knowing how to finish them. He also licks Man U's ringpiece. Horrible, horrible man.

I remember him commentating on our home leg v Roma on radio in 1999, and there was a moment where Totti dived, and for the umpteenth time Capello got out of his dugout whinging at the referee and he just went, "Oh for God sake Fabio, sit down you big girl".

Guest firetotheworks

Pearce is shit because he's too busy wanking over something rather than commentating. And when he does commentate he has one of the most monotonous tones, and talks in fixed stanzas like he's some sort of Shakespearean robot arsehole.

We need some new blood, unfortunately there are not many personalities out there that could do it.

I think the best commentators are at best average and are usually the ones you don't pay much attention too. They fit with the game rather than ruin it for you like the MASSIVE CUNT MOTSON.

Guest firetotheworks

I used to like Motson, but he turned annoying very quickly. Its a shame really, but there's no denying how unbelievably shit he is now.

No one will beat Tyldsley though. He's the anti-Christ.

• 13 years later...

Justin Lockwood....purely cos he loves us, and is hugely enthusiastic. Nice to hear a commentator that wants us to win, rather than one that sounds like we've collectively pissed on their chips whenever we score....see Any ex Man U or Liverpool player, or former managers or players who had a hard time with us

Barry Davies remains my all time favourite - shame he sacked it off to just commentate on tennis, I seem to remember due to Motson being given prime billing despite being incredibly irritating.

Can’t say I notice many today - I try to ignore it mostly, given that (unlike Davies) they won’t shut up for a nanosecond.  Raisbeck is good mind. 

5 minutes ago, TheBrownBottle said:

Barry Davies remains my all time favourite - shame he sacked it off to just commentate on tennis, I seem to remember due to Motson being given prime billing despite being incredibly irritating.

Can’t say I notice many today - I try to ignore it mostly, given that (unlike Davies) they won’t shut up for a nanosecond.  Raisbeck is good mind. 

Loved his commentary for the Robert free-kick at Liverpool. Was just something like 'uh...he's DONE it again'. 

1 minute ago, Optimistic Nut said:

Loved his commentary for the Robert free-kick at Liverpool. Was just something like 'uh...he's DONE it again'. 

Yeah, I loved it when he would get genuinely excited by what he’d seen.  He rarely exclaimed loudly in less what he’d seen was absolutely top drawer sensational.

Obligatory NUFC example:

https://twitter.com/tfNUFC/status/1082227403458531329/mediaViewer?currentTweet=1082227403458531329&currentTweetUser=tfNUFC

On 23/01/2010 at 20:02, Mag in Aberdeen said:

;D

La Liga commentary is excellent, Gray and Tyler are great also. Mowbray is the only good commentator from the BBC

Gray and Tyler [emoji38]

4 minutes ago, Colos Short and Curlies said:

On a national level McCoist is genuine class on co-comms

He is, the Scottish accent helps, but I like his dry humour as well. It's like when they were looking for a co-commentator, they said let's look at someone who is the polar opposite of Alan Smith.

Agree on Barry Davies. Class act.

Moments of great commentary: Lennie Lawrence at Roker Park for LOB's brilliant free kick 👏

Edited by JLC

Andy Gray belongs where he is in relative obscurity but I think it's pretty undeniable that his combo with Tyler in the 90s is genuinely iconic. My folks didn't get Sky until maybe 2005/6ish so as a wee'un it was always a bit of a treat watching a game live and therefore hearing their commentary, round at someone else's house most likely. And of course the Albert fifth against Man Utd is arguably the most recognisable piece of Newcastle commentary in most of our lifetimes.

There was something incredibly natural about those elder statesmen in commentary; Tyler, Moore, Davies (I'm gonna throw Tyldesley in there too, sue me) - whereas now so much feels almost rehearsed and/or more obviously performative. There's very few now that I actively like; whoever the best is is just inoffensive rather than great. Matterface and Fletcher are the worst; the latter in particular being hideously grating. 

Mowbray and the two BBC Steves are probably my 'favourites' these days. 

I can never remember their names, but there are a few on BBC that I don't mind.  MOTD and 5 Live, you hear them more for full games when the big tournaments are on and not just highlights and the odd radio clip.  I want to say Mowbray and John Murray, but I might be wrong. 

Most of them I don't really notice, or the opposite.  I find them incredibly annoying.  Matterface is absolutely horrendous.  Tyler just phones it in these days.  Fletcher on BT just chats shit for the sake of it.  Waffles on constantly. 

There is one guy on Sky that seems to love us and it winds the mackems up.  Alan Parry, is it?  Never noticed if he's good or not.  I just remember his voice from most of our Championship games under Hughton.