Leicester City Vs. Newcastle United Sat. Jan 30th 2010 17:20 KO Live on SKY

Fenham Mag

I'm with Ronaldo on the Carroll front like.

So am I, you would think that Carroll had a 50p shaped head as the ball just bounces off his head in random directions.  You can't blame people for not getting the second ball as it's almost impossible to predict where it will go.  Carroll also seems to have problems staying on his feet and spends are too much time on his arse, he either has poor balance or he's looking for a cheap free-kick.

So am I, you would think that Carroll had a 50p shaped head as the ball just bounces off his head in random directions.  You can't blame people for not getting the second ball as it's almost impossible to predict where it will go.  Carroll also seems to have problems staying on his feet and spends are too much time on his arse, he either has poor balance or he's looking for a cheap free-kick.

you'd be amazed at the ammount of people who sit round me who think he is doing so well cos he is winning "everything in the air" without realising it's pointless unless he has an idea where he's putting it.

however his control and retension with his feet is getting much better but he never gets into the box after laying it off (much like shola used to)

He's still young mind. It's only because he is seen as a first team player that people are getting on his back.

Personally I though he put in a good level of effort on Wednesday and applauded him for doing so in my match report, i'm not biased against the lad as a player.

I could see why some are though, the guy's a complete and utter arsehole.

you'd be amazed at the ammount of people who sit round me who think he is doing so well cos he is winning "everything in the air" without realising it's pointless unless he has an idea where he's putting it.

however his control and retension with his feet is getting much better but he never gets into the box after laying it off (much like shola used to)

I know a lot of people think he's doing well by winning the ball in the air, it's almost pointless though.

I'd like to see

Harper

Taylor        Williamson  Coloccini        Kadar

Routledge     Guthrie      Smith ©      Jonas

Carroll          Lovenkrands

Subs- Krul, Van Arnie, Hall,  Butt, Pancrate, Nolan, Ranger

That way we should keep the ball better in the middle of the park with Guthrie added in place of Nolan, with Routledge wide right we'd have an even threat on the flanks. Lovenkrands would have many more chances to score with extra creativity behind him (Jonas, Guthrie, Routledge) and Carroll would use his physical presence to gain flick ons etc.

that is exactly what I'd start with.

Reckon Hughton might go with:

Harper

Taylor Williamson Coloccini Kadar

Routledge  Smith Guthrie  Jonas

Nolan

Carroll

Krul, Hall, Van Aanholt, Lovenkrands, Ranger, Pancrate, Butt

Harper

Routledge  Smith Guthrie   Jonas

Nolan

Carroll

Lovenkrands has to be one of the first on the team sheet for me. He needs to drop Nolan, he isn't even scoring goals any more.

Harper

Nolan

Carroll

Lovenkrands has to be one of the first on the team sheet for me. He needs to drop Nolan, he isn't even scoring goals any more.

I fully agree i just wouldn't be suprised to see us go 4-4-1-1 tomorrow for some reason.

Guest neesy111

carroll wud do well in a team with wingers, he might do well with routledge in the team

lovenkrands should start ahead of everyone upfront imo

Harper

Nolan

Carroll

I fully agree i just wouldn't be suprised to see us go 4-4-1-1 tomorrow for some reason.

I know. It does seem too much to ask for us to attack teams instead of setting up to counter them.

aye time to drop nolan - hughton should make up the excuse that he's trying to rest him

Nolan doesn't need a rest, he does nowt for 90 minutes during the game so he should still be fresh.

Harper

Nolan

Carroll

The goal Ranger scored at the death on Wednesday is exactly why you need a striker who can race away on the break. Routledge and Jonas are both capable of playing in cute passes but it's pointless if you've got two lumbering forwards which is effectively what you will have if Nolan is playing off Carroll.

Harper

Nolan

Carroll

The goal Ranger scored at the death on Wednesday is exactly why you need a striker who can race away on the break. Routledge and Jonas are both capable of playing in cute passes but it's pointless if you've got two lumbering forwards which is effectively what you will have if Nolan is playing off Carroll.

Maybe we don't give Hughton enough credit. None of us thought he saw the weaknesses in our squad but he's gone out and bought players to rectify them so maybe we'll see better team selections soon. Sounds far fetched I know but y'know...

This is the sort of game where Nolan has, typically, been most effective in. We play with our backs to the wall mainly and he'll sneak in through a gap and put one a way - which is why i'd be pretty tempted to go 4-5-1 and reluctantly drop Lovelyhands - it's the sort of game where he won't get a sniff, i'd imagine. Routledge and Jonas providing the width (off Ranger, imo) - with a pretty steely midfield trio, and i think we'd be fairly comfortable. I've lambasted the ugly football as much as anyone away from home this season, but you can't deny that it's been an effective way of doing things. If it's not going right we can switch.

And tbh i think he will go 4-5-1.

Yeah but with Routledge now in the squad, we should in theory be able to murder them on the counter attack with him, Lovenkrands and Jonas. The problem with 4-5-1 is that you limit your chances of winning games in an effort not to lose them.

Yeah but with Routledge now in the squad, we should in theory be able to murder them on the counter attack with him, Lovenkrands and Jonas. The problem with 4-5-1 is that you limit your chances of winning games in an effort not to lose them.

We could still have an effective counter-attacking system with those two being wide of Ranger, who isn't slow - in my opinion. You can play 4-5-1 on the counter just as much as you can in a 4-4-2.

We could still have an effective counter-attacking system with those two being wide of Ranger, who isn't slow - in my opinion. You can play 4-5-1 on the counter just as much as you can in a 4-4-2.

It's never gonna be Ranger though.

I'm only on about this game man. We've gone 4-5-1 away from home lots of times and secured several valuable wins.

The key to that was Nolan scoring vital goals. He hasn't been doing that lately. We're also without 3/4 of the defence that helped us keep the clean sheets in those matches too.

I don't rate the lad but it would help any of our front men if they had some semblance of support. Our game plan  tends to leave our central midfielders deep and whilst they perform their defensive and pressing duties well, they do little creatively.

Nolan can push on but his ability to link play hasn't been there. Is that a collective problem or do we have issues in both areas? Think its the game we play and a lack of intelligence up front and in the middle. Put a young Lee Clark and Gavin Peacock in our side and it would be very different. As it is we have 'good' players (in this league) but very similar in too many respects e.g. lack of pace, thought, invention but very powerful. Clearly they are good enough to damage sides and contribute to where we are. It's not pretty to watch though.

I'm only on about this game man. We've gone 4-5-1 away from home lots of times and secured several valuable wins.

The key to that was Nolan scoring vital goals. He hasn't been doing that lately. We're also without 3/4 of the defence that helped us keep the clean sheets in those matches too.

Nolan's only really scored in the 4-5-1. :pow: Stick him in a 4-4-2 and he hasn't had a sniff.

There's a case for both formations but i'm just keen on us going for the tried and tested version. Definitely think Ranger deserves a shout ahead of Carroll at the moment mind; the latter has been utter fucking turd just recently (though i did miss the WBA Cup came).