This is the Best thread, I've ever been in, dududu dududu

Skirge

http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/newcastle-united/nufc-news/2011/01/03/why-would-i-sell-leon-best-asks-toon-boss-72703-27924782/

Why would I sell Leon Best, asks Toon boss

Jan 3 2011 by Lee Ryder, Evening Chronicle

ALAN PARDEW has rubbished talk that he is trying to offload Republic of Ireland international Leon Best.

The Toon striker made his first Premier League appearance at Wigan Athletic after enduring an injury-ravaged start to the season following an ankle ligament problem.

Best has started just six games since signing from Coventry City 12 months ago, and found it difficult to break past Andy Carroll and Peter Lovenkrands last season as the pair formed a prolific partnership in the Championship.

Best started pre-season well enough with goals against PSV and Carlisle, but was then struck by an ankle problem that left his United career shattered, only for the gutsy striker to battle back.

Reports over the weekend claimed Best had been transfer-listed by Pardew, but the Toon boss denied such speculation and told the Chronicle: “That’s not true at all.

“Leon played a really nice cameo at Wigan.

“It was good to see the fans’ reaction to him, which I thought was positive and good.

“He put his life on the line with a couple of challenges out there in the short period he was on.”

Best, who has 44 goals from 130 starts in his career and seven international caps with Ireland, made a 13-minute cameo at the DW Stadium and made a good run near the end of the game without being able to find the finish.

However, the match-winner was Shola Ameobi who had to bounce back from an early miss before tapping home the winning strike.

Pardew added: “When you have missed a big chance like that you don’t want to miss the next one. It was a simple one, but he still had to put it in.”

He's not even that bad. He had a lively pre season and needs a run of games. Saying that, we obviously need another out and out goalscorer to lessen the burden on Carroll. Best obviously isn't the answer, but I think the reaction on here is very harsh considering he's hardly played at all.

Why should we sell at the figure which has been mentioned 500k? For that much we might as well keep him here and use him for times like this and in the cup games. I'm pretty sure we paid at least a million.

He's not even that bad. He had a lively pre season and needs a run of games. Saying that, we obviously need another out and out goalscorer to lessen the burden on Carroll. Best obviously isn't the answer, but I think the reaction on here is very harsh considering he's hardly played at all.

:thup:

It was decided he was shit before he pulled on the shirt and he has a massive battle to change that which isn't how it should be imo.

He needs a goal or two to get some breathing room and then he might be given a bit of a chance, again that shouldn't be the way it is.

I don't really believe he will go on to be a brilliant player for us or anything but he could be useful, it's just sad he has been completely written off already and that happened long before he even got the massive 6 starts he has had to settle in and show what he can do.

As far as I can remember, only three people on here wrote him off when he signed.

He's been written off by a lot more since. He hasn't looked great it's true but I'm always a bit wary of writing anyone off after a handful of games whether it's Best or Xisco. People will say the coaches see them day in day out in training which is true. But then the coaches also saw Milner and N'Zogbia day in and day out and we didn't get the best out of either.

Milner could have been used centrally like O'Neill did when we had a shit midfield, and N'Zogbia was snubbed in favour of Damien Puff.

Contrary to Pardew's comments i do feel there's a bit of a 'shop-window' motive to his upcoming appearances. If we're definitely after a striker, i can imagine we'll have to offload one - if only under Ashley's instructions.

It was decided he was shit before he pulled on the shirt and he has a massive battle to change that which isn't how it should be imo.

He needs a goal or two to get some breathing room and then he might be given a bit of a chance, again that shouldn't be the way it is.

I don't really believe he will go on to be a brilliant player for us or anything but he could be useful, it's just sad he has been completely written off already and that happened long before he even got the massive 6 starts he has had to settle in and show what he can do.

Was he? Most people including myself had never heard of him.

His goalscoring record speaks for itself. So did his appearances last season... if he turns out to be a capable Premiership striker it'll have been a massive turnaround for the guy. I'd rather not take a punt on keeping him when we've got Shola still here (he will score goals) to deputise for Carroll. Ranger's also looked useful every time he's played. If there's potential suitors then i'd offload him without a second's thought tbh.

Tooj: look at the OP :lol:

Edit: the rest of the first page actually.

:lol: Oh shit aye.

Actually now I remember slating his performance for Ireland versus France. He was in the most offside position I've ever seen. :lol:

Dunno like, some thought he was better than Carroll.

Most championship strikers are an improvement on Carroll.

3.5 year deal does sounds ridiculous tbh, still just a rumour at this stage though.

I hope Carroll never plays again.

Very content with this window btw.

Bit underwhelming, can't be worse than Carroll though.

:lol: