This is the Best thread, I've ever been in, dududu dududu

Skirge

Shak seems to think differently though.

Oh aye, forgot he was more knowledgeable than an experienced renowned football manager. :lol:

To be fair to Shak though he's seen a damn sight more of the lad than I have and he's a decent poster imo. Still though, different people have different opinions, billy has seen a fair bit of him too and he thinks he's alright, and he's a canny poster anarl.

Shak seems to think differently though.

Oh aye, forgot he was more knowledgeable than an experienced renowned football manager. :lol:

To be fair to Shak though he's seen a damn sight more of the lad than I have and he's a decent poster imo. Still though, different people have different opinions, billy has seen a fair bit of him too and he thinks he's alright, and he's a canny poster anarl.

Aye fair enough, both seem to know their football so its a split decision :D

Wonder if th M.A.S.K will get a airing:

http://i.telegraph.co.uk/telegraph/multimedia/archive/01361/leon-best_1361759c.jpg

The Old Khiz On Block looks a bit gutted as the Masked Goalscorer gives it smoking gun

http://img.thesun.co.uk/multimedia/archive/00740/Leon_Best_2_350x475_740777a.jpg

I'm not exactly overawed at this signing but on reflection I don't think he's particularly a bad signing.

If you look at the top scorers in the league we've now got 2 players in the top 10 with Nolan on 10 and Best on 9.

23? strong? fast? 9 goals this season in our division? WHAT'S THE PROBLEM?

Is he actually fast though?  Not from what I've heard from Coventry fans.  Though I admit I don't know much about him myself.

Who is Best in front of in the Ireland pecking order? Shane Long? Noel Hunt?

irish striker pecking order

Keane

Doyle

Best/Celeb Folan (don't laugh folans actually put in some good performances as the lump to aim at up front and impressing me in the process)

Hunt/Long/Stokes and other not very good ones who were given a shot

We should be preparing for the Premiership since we were apparently promoted already.

Exactly.

People are going around saying 'Oh he's not good enough for the Premier League.'

Newsflash:  We're not in the Premier League.  We're a Championship team.  These signings are for the Championship.  And from what I've seen, they look good enough.

If our players are good enough to win the Championship, then they're good enough to stay in the Premier League.  Not flourish, just stay.  That's been proved time and time again over the years. 

The players we are buying now seem the right sort.  People complain about the length of contract, but we're not gonna be stupid and sign them on a 6 month deal.  What if we don't get promotion this season?  We could need these guys to continue to build to go back up.  No one seems to be considering that. 

We are not gonna be back where we were anytime soon.  It takes far longer to rebuild a squad than it does to strip it apart.  We've been stripped down, we won't be back near the top for another five/six years at best, and that's being overly idealistic.

What we should be worrying about is who we'll bring in over the summer if we're promoted, but more importantly, who'll be managing us and who'll own us.  Those are the kinds of questions that'll determine our Premiership performance next season, not who we buy now.  They're for the Championship because we're in the Championship.

It really is time for some people to let go of the dream of playing Barcelona in the CL in three years time.  It's not gonna happen.  Let's get back to the PL with these players, then let's make sure we can stay in the PL.  Then we can start worrying about rising to the top again.

A meteoric rise to fame and glory is not going to happen with this administration.

We should be preparing for the Premiership since we were apparently promoted already.

Exactly.

People are going around saying 'Oh he's not good enough for the Premier League.'

Newsflash:  We're not in the Premier League.  We're a Championship team.  These signings are for the Championship.  And from what I've seen, they look good enough.

If our players are good enough to win the Championship, then they're good enough to stay in the Premier League.  Not flourish, just stay.  That's been proved time and time again over the years. 

The players we are buying now seem the right sort.  People complain about the length of contract, but we're not gonna be stupid and sign them on a 6 month deal.  What if we don't get promotion this season?  We could need these guys to continue to build to go back up.  No one seems to be considering that. 

We are not gonna be back where we were anytime soon.  It takes far longer to rebuild a squad than it does to strip it apart.  We've been stripped down, we won't be back near the top for another five/six years at best, and that's being overly idealistic.

What we should be worrying about is who we'll bring in over the summer if we're promoted, but more importantly, who'll be managing us and who'll own us.  Those are the kinds of questions that'll determine our Premiership performance next season, not who we buy now.  They're for the Championship because we're in the Championship.

It really is time for some people to let go of the dream of playing Barcelona in the CL in three years time.  It's not gonna happen.  Let's get back to the PL with these players, then let's make sure we can stay in the PL.  Then we can start worrying about rising to the top again.

A meteoric rise to fame and glory is not going to happen with this administration.

or any other one that could realisticly come in tbh. We may end up closer to the top half of the table through default in time by the fact while in the prem we'll be about as financially stable a club up there and others start to creek under weight of debts but thats only random speculation on my part

Guest ProudToBeAGeordie

The thing is though, we are not promoted, and a long way to go until the end of the season. Not many players about that we could affoard in either fee or wages that would be a first choice in a decent premiership team.  The last thing we need is to spend beyond our means, and then fail to go up then have to flog them off at the end of the season just to cover our losses.  The only decent player we have missed out on is Moses, and it is roumored he is on 30k p/w at Wigan now.

Guest ProudToBeAGeordie

He hasn't got 9 in 15, he's got 9 in 27ish and hasn't scored for three months.

Diffrent teams,  He was obviously going through a rut in a struggling team.  Hopefully the move will bring the "Best" out of him.

His rut must have lasted most of his career. 2 goals last season despite playing every week? I'm all for letting the lad prove himself but there's no point kidding ourselves that he's not going to be shite.

Guest ProudToBeAGeordie

His rut must have lasted most of his career. 2 goals last season despite playing every week? I'm all for letting the lad prove himself but there's no point kidding ourselves that he's not going to be s****.

The jury is out, let's hope his Best years are ahead of him.

Gary Hooper has scored the same amount of league goals this season as Best, but has looked more impressive doing so. People are obsessed with stats on here rather than watching players. I know you lot aren't used to lower league football, but surely some of you have taken your heads out of the sand and started watching a few matches? ;)

Agreed on that point. It's pointless for that reason to use the lack of goals scored in higher leagues against Beckford, or at least it is for me. He looks a natural goal poacher and IMO would have far more chance of getting 10 goals from now to the end of the season than Best. Anyway, it's a moot point now, let's just hope Best shows us all that there's more than meets the eye.