Are the mackems too good to go down?

OzzieMandias

1 win out of 14 league games is near identical to our form under Allardyce, the longer they go without a win the more likely it'll look. Even if they get draws, bad form plays on morale.

They need to win one of the next two games against Wigan/Portsmouth.

After that their next 8 games involve Arsenal, Fulham, Villa, Man city, birmingham, liverpool & tottenham. Can see them losing all of them.

Yep, said after the Everton match that their next 3 would be massive, and theyve drawn the first of those. They need a minumum of 4pts from the next 2 for me, and even then they aint out of it.

West Ham, Wigan, Bolton can get out of it IMO, and if Pompey could beat scumderland they'd be back in with a chance. Mackems have to play Burnley, Wolves and Hull in their run-in, they will decide it.

Guest toonlass

Too many worse teams down there i think.

Wolves, Hull, Burnley, Pompeii etc.

They were both there last year, and while Pompey looked doomed I reckon the other two places are wide open still.

They were both there last year, and while Pompey looked doomed I reckon the other two places are wide open still.

Sunderland have a better team IMO than we did last year, certainly won't go down with the whimper like we did if they do go down. Once they get a few injuries back they'll fine i reckon.

Not based on form, from the last 12 games they're the second worst team in the league, one point better then Burnley.

Sunderland have a better team IMO than we did last year, certainly won't go down with the whimper like we did if they do go down. Once they get a few injuries back they'll fine i reckon.

One common thing is I can see the supporters getting on their (the club's, players', team's) backs like happened with us last year, which might not happen at the other clubs.

Yes they are.  People were saying we were too good to go down last season so im hoping that if i say it about them they will be relegated.

Everyone apart from those stupid deluded Newcastle fans.

You laughed at someone when he asked if you'd settle for 17th place last season.

But IF pompey could beat the scum, they'd be only 6pts behind them, and possibly 3 from safety.

no win in 13 games suggests they aren't too good to go down. I've watched them quite a few times this season and they are very poor. Absolutely pants at the back, no width at all in the midfield and that Cana lad, cant pass a ball. Darren Bent though, is some player, stop him scoring and they'll be in deep shit (if they're not already). Bruce's tactics are simply awful, on paper they have the players to play their way out of this relegation scrap they're currently embroiled in however Bruce's "whack in up to Kenwyne Jones" tactics are shit. Bruce throughout his career has lived and died on his signings, with the likes of Benjani, Kilgallon, Turner etc his transfer market activities imo have been poor, he is also tactically inept. The mackems are starting to get impatient with Bruce and for him to take them downhaving spent all that money would prove him to be one of the worst appointments ever.

Having said that I dont think they'll go down. Dont get me wrong, they're dross, it's just that Pompey, Hull, Burnley, Wolves etc are even worse. It's not impossible but I dont think they will, as poor as they are.

p.s If they did go down, would you see our lot hanging messages on bedsheets on the Wear bridge like they did on the Tyne bridge? Would you see our lot putting signs up on the side of roads taking the piss? Would we go on about it for months and months on end? Would we fuck, because we're not obsessed, because we're not undignified and more importantly, we've got something those lot lack in bucket loads. Class.

Not good enough to go down (if we assume there's some sort of vague 'good enough' level). Despite their ridiculous over-reliance on Bent, even his goals haven't prevented their awful recent form. I feel sorry for him at times, the 'service' he got at Goodison for example was pathetic.

First impressions would tell you there are 'worse' teams on paper but strange things happen. They are in big trouble if they don't beat Wigan. My instinct though is they will stay up, via a couple of unexpected victories which will give them the confidence to scramble enough points together.

The fact is though, around a £30m net spend last summer, and they have less points at this stage than they did last year. This season, despite wins over Liverpool and Arsenal, has been a definite failure so far for the Mackems.

Yes they are. People were saying we were too good to go down last season so im hoping that if i say it about them they will be relegated.

You laughed at someone when he asked if you'd settle for 17th place last season.

If you have a look you'll see that I was laughing at it when the season was about two months old. I made a post later on where I completely acknowledged I was wrong to laugh at it.

Edit - see below.

They're struggling to win so, yeah they could easily go down. That applies to any team that can't win for shit.

They rely too much on Bent and the other managers have sussed this and either cut off his supply or mark him out of the game. They need to mix it up a bit.

Could they? Yes. Will they? Probably not. 

Yes they are.  People were saying we were too good to go down last season so im hoping that if i say it about them they will be relegated.

Actually I didn't laugh at anyone: http://www.newcastle-online.org/nufcforum/index.php/topic,56329.msg1501502.html#msg1501502

It was fucking September, and we'd played four games.

Admitted I was wrong about six weeks later: http://www.newcastle-online.org/nufcforum/index.php/topic,56329.msg1554371.html#msg1554371

Glad we cleared that one up. :thup:

Hopefully West Ham will pull away which will drop the mackems further down. If it's still close in the last few games then anyone could go down.

Sadly they are the best out of a bad bunch.

LOL I remember that "would you take 17th place now" thread. The point I was trying to m,ake when I started that thread was that we needed to readjust our expectations, all the signs were there that we were headed down a familar route of self distruction. Unfortunately, it took those in charge way to long (and some never did) to realise that we had a fight on our hands. September may have seemed very early for a thread of that nature but those who had been through this before like me and some older members, recognised the danger signs. I was laughed at and mocked, as were others that had the same concerns, but at the end of the day, I don't think anyone including me took any pleasure in being proved right, that relegation should never have been allowed to happen.

Regarding the Mackems, I would love to see them drop like a stone, but unfortunately I would be hugely surprised if they did, they'll scrape together enough points, they are too good to go down, as were we last year, the difference I think is that there are more crappy teams down there this year to keep them safe.

They are no better than we were last season. They aren't in a state a chaos as we were. Talent-wise, they are inferior though.

Agreed, half our old squad are now playing in the premiership and doing alright. Alot of the sunderland squad are dross that they have had for ages or unproven foreigners.

They are no better than we were last season. They aren't in a state a chaos as we were. Talent-wise, they are inferior though.

Agreed, half our old squad are now playing in the premiership and doing alright. Alot of the sunderland squad are dross that they have had for ages or unproven foreigners.

Out of the team that we took down from this point last year only Bassong is a regular in the Premiership.

The only clubs that are too good to go down are the ones in the top 6 or 7 of the Premiership.  Those are the only ones with a monopoly of talent to make it inconceivable.  For the rest it is a question of character, consistency and leadership.   Good manager, professional players and stability in the board room.  The ones that are knee dip in s*** off the field (Pompey) are more likely to go down than the relatively stable clubs.  The poor performance on the field and the off the field problems become reinforcing, your team loses confidence, and you slip into a nose dive.  The mackems aren't at that point yet, but they could easily arrive there.  Just because their players are marginally more talented than those of Hull or Stoke or Wigan is almost irrelevant.