Swansea City 1 - 1 Newcastle United - 13/02/10 - post match reaction from pg 25

Nate

Where was Carroll prior to his scoring run? If we had a target man that could actually steer his headers towards other players, and use his feet as well, we'd easily be a much better side. I'm not saying a target man needs to score, but Carroll offers nothing besides being lucky a few times in recent games. Ranger for instance, whilst still being very raw, shows sign of being a decent target man in that he can hold up the ball and actually aim headers. It's a shame he can't put them away. Carroll is just a young Tore Andre Flo tbh.

You shouldnt expect Carroll to single handedly make up for our poor style of football. No matter how much is directed at him. If anything it puts more pressure on him to create something from nothing, with little support from others as has been said. He's scoring goals recently and showing that he'll deliver if given decent crosses.

The one thing id have a go at him for is that he's pretty lazy off the ball.

You can't deny the fact people tend to be more forgiving of him than others just because he's local, though.

Any evidence of that? If anything it's the other way around.

Just checked it we have 2 home games now coming up. Good that the next is Wednesday as we need a win and fast. I think that those two home games could be key for the further part of the season as if we win we'll probably be ok again but if we lose we'll be in big trouble.

I was disappointed when Lovenkrands came off instead of Carroll. When Carroll elbowed their defender in the face and I thought he was gonna be sent off I thought "well at least he won't play next game" but then he scores an important goal. Guess Hughton got it right (just).

Guest HGB1892

I thought we were utterly twatful today. No guile, no pace (An out of sorts routledge aside), we were constantly 2 yards off the pace. Fuck knows how we got a point but i'll take it.

Guest firetotheworks

Harper - 6

Simpson - 4

Hall - 6

Coloccini - 6

Van Aanholt - 5

Routledge - 6

Smith - 3

Nolan - 2

Guthrie - 3

Carroll - 3

Løvenkrands - 3

Downgrade Nolan to a 1 and that's spot on.

Guest icemanblue

Where was Carroll prior to his scoring run? If we had a target man that could actually steer his headers towards other players, and use his feet as well, we'd easily be a much better side. I'm not saying a target man needs to score, but Carroll offers nothing besides being lucky a few times in recent games. Ranger for instance, whilst still being very raw, shows sign of being a decent target man in that he can hold up the ball and actually aim headers. It's a shame he can't put them away. Carroll is just a young Tore Andre Flo tbh.

You shouldnt expect Carroll to single handedly make up for our poor style of football. No matter how much is directed at him. If anything it puts more pressure on him to create something from nothing, with little support from others as has been said. He's scoring goals recently and showing that he'll deliver if given decent crosses.

The one thing id have a go at him for is that he's pretty lazy off the ball.

You can't deny the fact people tend to be more forgiving of him than others just because he's local, though.

Any evidence of that? If anything it's the other way around.

Certainly what I was thinking. You should probably just be quiet for a bit, Kazeiro. You're looking silly, again.

Guest HGB1892

I gave Nolan a 1.

It's the first time I've seen a performance that justifies such a rating.

I don't think he even rated that highly, he was so slow it was untrue.

Watched in the pub, what a shit game. Swansea don't even look to make chances half the time, just got to get those extra passes in. Our central midfield was even more anonymous than usual, which helped them a great deal.

Harper - Good handling with a few shots but some odd decisions in regards to coming off his line/not coming off his line.

Simpson - STOP BACKING OFF MAN. Cotteril is right footed, don't let him cut inside ffs

Paddy van - Not bad, nothing obvious to say

Colo - Top notch, our best player probably

Hall - Didn't do anything too bad

Smith - Anonymous, useless, captain.

Nolan - Anonymous, useless, fat.

Routledge - Second best player, actually has pace.

Guthrie - Not a left winger, dwelled on the ball a lot but not helped by lack of movement and presumably somebody should tell him there's a man on.

Carroll - Was pretty shite but got a goal so obviously that papers over the cracks in this idiots play.

Lovenkrands - Can't be expected to guess what angle the ball is going to come off Carroll's head at, no fucker knows.

Best - Improved us a lot in the final third because the ball sticks with him. Lush cross as well

Hughton - Got no balls, made 1 change in a game where we'd had no shots on target after 85 minutes. Good one.

Guest Brewcastle

Just checked it we have 2 home games now coming up. Good that the next is Wednesday as we need a win and fast. I think that those two home games could be key for the further part of the season as if we win we'll probably be ok again but if we lose we'll be in big trouble.

Aye! Getting down in play-off now - or later - will for sure mean another season in this division....

Watched in the pub, what a s*** game. Swansea don't even look to make chances half the time, just got to get those extra passes in. Our central midfield was even more anonymous than usual, which helped them a great deal.

Harper - Good handling with a few shots but some odd decisions in regards to coming off his line/not coming off his line.

Simpson - STOP BACKING OFF MAN. Cotteril is right footed, don't let him cut inside ffs

Guthrie - Not a left winger, dwelled on the ball a lot but not helped by lack of movement and presumably somebody should tell him there's a man on.

Carroll - Was pretty s**** but got a goal so obviously that papers over the cracks in this idiots play.

Lovenkrands - Can't be expected to guess what angle the ball is going to come off Carroll's head at, no f***er knows.

Best - Improved us a lot in the final third because the ball sticks with him. Lush cross as well

Hughton - Got no balls, made 1 change in a game where we'd had no shots on target after 85 minutes. Good one.

:lol:

Watched in the pub, what a s*** game. Swansea don't even look to make chances half the time, just got to get those extra passes in. Our central midfield was even more anonymous than usual, which helped them a great deal.

Carroll - Was pretty s**** but got a goal so obviously that papers over the cracks in this idiots play.

Lovenkrands - Can't be expected to guess what angle the ball is going to come off Carroll's head at, no f***er knows.

Apart from on Carroll id agree with all of that.

i don't want to knee-jerk but by christ that was fucking abysmal.  i don't think we strung 3 passes together all game and thankfully they were toothless or we could've seen a repeat of the drubbing we got off Derby.  The midfield were, well basically just inept, both with and without the ball, Nolan absolutely abysmal the other 3 in midfield just crap.  I'm not going to criticise the front 2 as the service the got was non existant, the only time we put a decent cross into the box Carroll buried it,

Guest Heneage

At least Best was physically present when he came on. Don't want to see Loven out there from the start again, just to weak physically.

Looked alright to me, got involved at least. Due in part to us actually starting to try like.

I bum Lovenkrands but he's seeming more like a home player from the start and an impact sub away.

Waaaah waaah waaaaaah Carrol is the worst player we have!  :facepalm:

Yeeeeah yeeeeah yeeeeeah Carrol we love you!  :iamatwat:

Carroll is still f***ing s***, it's only statistics that with all the headers he f***s up one or two will sometimes be good.

That's 5 goals in 6.

So? If our target man was any decent it'd be more than that with our long ball tactics tbh.

If your being serious that is even funnier!

Of course I'm serious, anyone not wearing "He's a local lad, he's teh best since Shearahhhh lolz!!!11!1one!!1" glasses sees that.

Our target man should be getting a goal every game :lol:  Your funny.

You should look at how many assists Carroll has, it might just surprise you.

I don't need to look, as I'm well aware. He's still not good enough to be first choice striker for us, I'd be concerned if he was our 4th choice striker, even. He'll never make it at the top level, and while he'll be good enough until we (hopefully) get promoted, we need rid of him in the summer and bring in someone that's actually a footballer.

Well it's not 'offering nothing' than is it, when he is scoring and assisting.  How about you put some logic into your next argument.

:lol: Andy Carroll has 7 in 24 apps and 5 assists. We have 48 goals, which means he's been involved in 12 of them, which in itself doesn't sound bad. Though, when you look at all the chances he's had to set people up and to put more away, it starts to get more shocking. You can't waste that many chances, if we'd not have Nolan around fluking one in here and there earlier in the season, those errors would be much more apparent and could single-handedly be a reason for us being around mid-table rather than at the top of the table. He has 65 shots (headers included), whearas 20 have been on goal.  We're shit at getting the balls to him though, but you'd imagine a player like the one you're describing would be able to produce more than statistically 2.7 shots a match, wouldn't you? I mean, after all, he has "5 in 6". But wait, 5 in 6? What happened before those 6? Oh, yeah, he did almost nothing. I can't find his completed pass percentage, but I'm fairly certain that when and if I do find it, it will be less than 30%. He's not a good striker, we're not a good team. It's not a good match when we need ability up front to make up for the shitness of the rest of the team, especially in midfield. If he can only get 65 shots fired in the Championship, what would he do in the Premiership?

He's not good, the numbers speak for themselves. What he does on the pitch speaks for itself. I'm not blinded by one lucky scoring run. Basically, he offers us pretty much nothing. I'm fairly certain even Ameobi would be banging some of the headers Carroll has missed straight in.

Guest HGB1892

highlight of the game was the camera panned in on Nolan after 8 minutes, with him red in the face and looking knackered already.

Be fair to the bloke, he'd had to warm up before the game.

highlight of the game was the camera panned in on Nolan after 8 minutes, with him red in the face and looking knackered already.

Be fair to the bloke, he'd had to warm up before the game.

Be even more fair to him, he is said to lead the warm up, isn't he?

Guest firetotheworks

If you can defend Carroll for scoring then you can defend Nolan really. Both are shit, both weirdly score. The thing is though, that any one of our strikers can score, and Carroll when he doesn't score has a less all around game.

Waaaah waaah waaaaaah Carrol is the worst player we have!  :facepalm:

Yeeeeah yeeeeah yeeeeeah Carrol we love you!  :iamatwat:

Carroll is still f***ing s***, it's only statistics that with all the headers he f***s up one or two will sometimes be good.

That's 5 goals in 6.

So? If our target man was any decent it'd be more than that with our long ball tactics tbh.

If your being serious that is even funnier!

Of course I'm serious, anyone not wearing "He's a local lad, he's teh best since Shearahhhh lolz!!!11!1one!!1" glasses sees that.

Our target man should be getting a goal every game :lol:  Your funny.

You should look at how many assists Carroll has, it might just surprise you.

I don't need to look, as I'm well aware. He's still not good enough to be first choice striker for us, I'd be concerned if he was our 4th choice striker, even. He'll never make it at the top level, and while he'll be good enough until we (hopefully) get promoted, we need rid of him in the summer and bring in someone that's actually a footballer.

Well it's not 'offering nothing' than is it, when he is scoring and assisting.  How about you put some logic into your next argument.

:lol: Andy Carroll has 7 in 24 apps and 5 assists. We have 48 goals, which means he's been involved in 12 of them, which in itself doesn't sound bad. Though, when you look at all the chances he's had to set people up and to put more away, it starts to get more shocking. You can't waste that many chances, if we'd not have Nolan around fluking one in here and there earlier in the season, those errors would be much more apparent and could single-handedly be a reason for us being around mid-table rather than at the top of the table. He has 65 shots (headers included), whearas 20 have been on goal.  We're s*** at getting the balls to him though, but you'd imagine a player like the one you're describing would be able to produce more than statistically 2.7 shots a match, wouldn't you? I mean, after all, he has "5 in 6". But wait, 5 in 6? What happened before those 6? Oh, yeah, he did almost nothing. I can't find his completed pass percentage, but I'm fairly certain that when and if I do find it, it will be less than 30%. He's not a good striker, we're not a good team. It's not a good match when we need ability up front to make up for the shitness of the rest of the team, especially in midfield. If he can only get 56 shots fired in the Championship, what would he do in the Premiership?

He's not good, the numbers speak for themselves. What he does on the pitch speaks for itself. I'm not blinded by one lucky scoring run. Basically, he offers us pretty much nothing. I'm fairly certain even Ameobi would be banging some of the headers Carroll has missed straight in.

:lol: Unbelieveable.