Ashley sets up new long term transfer strategy - Sunday Sun

Guest michaelfoster

I am pretty sure  the £15k per week refers to this Jan signings. As someone else said there was something in one of the papers that the ceiling for new players signed would be £30K per week if the team is in PL next season.

Sounds sensible.

Sounds like a plan; a flawed plan, a fucking flawed plan.

15K a week isn't competitive enough for a top young player and Hughton is hardly Wenger or Ferguson when it comes to nurturing a young player.

It is a policy sure to get us relegated if we go up.

Sounds like a plan; a flawed plan, a fucking flawed plan.

15K a week isn't competitive enough for a top young player and Hughton is hardly Wenger or Ferguson when it comes to nurturing a young player.

It is a policy sure to get us relegated if we go up.

far be it from me to defend ashley but i do think the 15k limit was on signings in jan as we're in the championship

Anyone who thinks 15K a week for kicking a football around is not a lot of money should stop and have a look at the world around us now since the banking fiasco. Wage freezes and pay cuts are sadly the norm now here in the real world.

Anyone who thinks 15K a week for kicking a football around is not a lot of money should stop and have a look at the world around us now since the banking fiasco. Wage freezes and pay cuts are sadly the norm now here in the real world.

but footballers don't live in the real world

but footballers don't live in the real world

Well they are going to have to arent they or are all these clubs with winding up orders at the moment just a figment of our imaginations.

If everyone does it fine. If we're the only ones, we might as well give up now.

It's a good policy if we bring in the right players, we get the right manager, and the wage cap is increased reasonably to make us competitive in the Premiership, £30k would be reasonable I would think. It would be great if the club by this was fairly competitive and ended up bringing money in so that we never find ourselves in the same situation as Portsmouth, Cardiff, or Cystal Palace.

It's a good policy if we bring in the right players, we get the right manager, and the wage cap is increased reasonably to make us competitive in the Premiership, £30k would be reasonable I would think. It would be great if the club by this was fairly competitive and ended up bringing money in so that we never find ourselves in the same situation as Portsmouth, Cardif,f or Cystal Palace.

Great idea but fat Cashley doesnt have a football brain tbh

Utter cack.

Even the most rubbish Football Manager player knows you need a blend of youth and experience - and experience doesn't come from loan players who are only around for half a season.

Nothing wrong with signing older players permanently, you just need to properly factor in the resale value into what you pay them. Does everyone remember Peter Beardsley/Paul Bracewell/Barry Venison?

Its over for big wages man. Game over.

I bet the current crop of big earners are the last.

Footballers and agents have drank the wateing hole dry.

Now all thats left is a scabby thirsty wilder beast with vultures pecking at its arse.

Guest Stephen927

I like how some people just assumed that the 15k cap applies for the Premiership too and start criticizing and moaning purely on the basis of that assumption. So much negativity around. 

True.

We got relegated with a team of massive earners, so the idea that we will be worse off by getting players who aren't here for the money doesn't really stand up.

15k for the Premiership doesn't sound much, but it might not be for the Premiership (or true at all, obviously).

I bet west ham wont be paying mega bucks anymore, i bet man utd have to reduce the wage bill same as liverpool I bet Frank lumpard, terry fuckwit and michael ballsack will be the only players on 150k at chelsea. Any newplayers coming in to Chelsea will not be offered those contracts.

Its over man.

Guest Stephen927

All players when signing a deal here should have injury clauses inserted into their contract, we'd safe enough money to buy Dickmar van Nostrilboy.

I'm not sure if this article is based on fact, i.e. it is cast in stone as official NUFC policy.

However what is a fact is that the football transfer market is changing radically and any club which wishes to survive will have to start living in the real world.

If the written article really outlines a new policy then good - it sounds quite sensible, but I doubt it would or could be rigidly adhered to as should an exceptional case arise - i.e. an exceptional player at the right price - then we would have to go above the stated amount and it would be foolish not to.

I'm not sure if this article is based on fact, i.e. it is cast in stone as official NUFC policy.

However what is a fact is that the football transfer market is changing radically and any club which wishes to survive will have to start living in the real world.

If the written article really outlines a new policy then good - it sounds quite sensible, but I doubt it would or could be rigidly adhered to as should an exceptional case arise - i.e. an exceptional player at the right price - then we would have to go above the stated amount and it would be foolish not to.

Almost certainly not!

The thing about exceptions is that it's very difficult to know when to make them. Imagine if we'd had a wage structure in the past and we'd made exceptions to sign Damien Duff for a cheap fee but with big wages, or in the case of Michael Owen. We'd soon be back to paying over the odds for 'star' players who aren't really worth it.

IMO if you're to have a wage structure there can't be exceptions.