Ashley sets up new long term transfer strategy - Sunday Sun

Guest michaelfoster

I'd take this with a pinch of salt. Couple of reasons - it's the NotW and Ashley has a mate (Rob Beasley) who is a sport hack and writes for the paper. It's why all weekend 'exclusives' end up in the NotW. As has been said previously, it'll be the £20million he had to put into the club when he took it off the market. The article is just putting a pro-Ashley slant on things and remember folks - you can't polish a turd. :)

we'll find out in the accounts.

When they are eventually released. Are they overdue? Wouldn't surprise me if so.

Must be filed before the end of March. But they will cover the year to end of June 2009 meaning that the current situation won't be revealed until the 2010 accounts are filed next year.

Having read the Realistic transfer targets January 2010 thread where some posters are seriously considering spending millions on signing Robbie Keane all I will say is thank God for Ashley's policy of only signing players under 26.

Having read the Realistic transfer targets January 2010 thread where some posters are seriously considering spending millions on signing Robbie Keane all I will say is thank God for Ashley's policy of only signing players under 26.

If the fee was say £4m and his wages were £20k a week, I'd take Keane on a 3 year deal.  He's the kind of player that would still be effective when his legs are gone, can read the game well and is pretty skillful.  Captain material too.  Wouldn't care too much if we missed out on him for that money either though.

If the fee was say £4m and his wages were £20k a week, I'd take Keane on a 3 year deal.  He's the kind of player that would still be effective when his legs are gone, can read the game well and is pretty skillful.  Captain material too.  Wouldn't care too much if we missed out on him for that money either though.

I'd rather start Nile Ranger next season. We have enough tired old bastards with no legs to shift without adding another one.

I'd rather start Nile Ranger next season. We have enough tired old bastards with no legs to shift without adding another one.

He's comfortably better than Ranger is or ever will be though.

I see where your coming from, it's just that I'd be scared about relying on Ranger to be the goal scorer next season.  It's way too much pressure for him.  Like I said though, missing out on Keane wouldn't bother me, but relying on Nile Ranger to be first team member each game would.

I don't know how anyone could turn their noses up at him.

He's got a quality touch and his reading of the game is superb. Unfortunately

next season (if we go up) is about staying up and I'd rather have a proven striker like Keane in there than give a chance for Ranger to improve. I'd send Ranger away on loan.

Guest jonlane86

If the fee was say £4m and his wages were £20k a week, I'd take Keane on a 3 year deal.  He's the kind of player that would still be effective when his legs are gone, can read the game well and is pretty skillfulCaptain material too.  Wouldn't care too much if we missed out on him for that money either though.

anyone else think this sounded a lot like a Michael Owen transfer?

I'll level with you I'm a huge fan of Robbie Keane and have been suggesting to mates and alike before we signed Owen that we tried to sign him when spurs had 47 striking options, could have probably got him for about £7-£8m at the time and got away with paying him about £40k a week.  My biggest worry is we end up with Michael Owen again in the summer, and as ridiculous as that might sound, I wouldn't write it off straight away.

If the fee was say £4m and his wages were £20k a week, I'd take Keane on a 3 year deal.  He's the kind of player that would still be effective when his legs are gone, can read the game well and is pretty skillfulCaptain material too.  Wouldn't care too much if we missed out on him for that money either though.

I'll level with you I'm a huge fan of Robbie Keane and have been suggesting to mates and alike before we signed Owen that we tried to sign him when spurs had 47 striking options, could have probably got him for about £7-£8m at the time and got away with paying him about £40k a week.  My biggest worry is we end up with Michael Owen again in the summer, and as ridiculous as that might sound, I wouldn't write it off straight away.

This is exactly where I'm coming from, which is why I said I'd rather start Nile Ranger.

Guest jonlane86

The NOTW in a 'Mike is actually a nice guy' shocker. It's amazing what you can get your mates to print in the Sunday rags for you.

Especially when it hastens to mention that the only reason we're in the Championship and struggling for cash is because of the fat b******.

The only reason? Like things were going swimmingly under Shepherd, either financially or on the field? Why do you think the Halls were so keen to bail out?

That's got nothing to do with it. The reason we are in the Championship comes back to every decision that Ashley made from post-Allardyce onwards.

the reason we are in the championship is because we have been poorly run since 2004.

Agree 100%

Also Agree

This is exactly where I'm coming from, which is why I said I'd rather start Nile Ranger.

nile ranger is nowhere near the player keane is, hes not scoring often at championship level how is he going to score at prem level on a regular basis like keane would if we got him

Guest jonlane86

my only issue with Keane is that if he can't hack it at Celtic, how can he hack it at our place?  Ideal scenario is he scores 6-7 goals before the end of the SPL, and we sign him for £4m on £20k a week on a 3 year deal (suggested by The Prophet) and he "needs to show he can still do a job".  I am a huge fan and would love to see him play for us, yet I did think that of Owen before he was tipped up to sign for us......

my only issue with Keane is that if he can't hack it at Celtic, how can he hack it at our place?  Ideal scenario is he scores 6-7 goals before the end of the SPL, and we sign him for £4m on £20k a week on a 3 year deal (suggested by The Prophet) and he "needs to show he can still do a job".  I am a huge fan and would love to see him play for us, yet I did think that of Owen before he was tipped up to sign for us......

And you wouldn't have issue with Ranger up front who so far hasn't hacked it in the CCC from a goal scoring point of view? (too early to judge Ranger really, so I know I'm not being totally fair making that point)

nile ranger is nowhere near the player keane is, hes not scoring often at championship level how is he going to score at prem level on a regular basis like keane would if we got him

TBF, at least Owen is sitting on a higher class bench to be a highly paid useless sub, whereas Keane has had to fuck off to Celtic to become second best in a two horse race.

TBF, at least Owen is sitting on a higher class bench to be a highly paid useless sub, whereas Keane has had to fuck off to Celtic to become second best in a two horse race.

Has he gone because he is not good enough for Spurs? I doubt it.  I think he was forced up there because Harry was fuming about him being the captain and then disobeying orders and doing the xmas party thing.

Just my opinion, I don't have proof before someone comes out demanding it.

Not really - Keane is a far more 'technical' player who doesn't/didn't rely on pace in the way Owen did.  Not necessarily saying I'd buy Keane mind you.

Not really - Keane is a far more 'technical' player who doesn't/didn't rely on pace in the way Owen did.  Not necessarily saying I'd buy Keane mind you.

His passing is far better than Owen's plus he's stronger on the ball too.

His passing is far better than Owen's plus he's stronger on the ball too.

Like I said, we'd be better off sticking with Nile Ranger.

Not actually read all this thread - but are people genuinely suggesting that Ranger should be one of our main strikers if we go up?  Seriously...?

Rather than buying someone like Keane?

Yes.