Jump to content

Ashley sets up new long term transfer strategy - Sunday Sun


Guest michaelfoster
 Share

Recommended Posts

Guest michaelfoster

NEWCASTLE have introduced a new long-term transfer strategy aimed at bringing extra youth – and value – to their squad.

 

The Sunday Sun understands that United applied strict fresh criteria to their transfer business in January, vetoing any full-time signings over the age of 26.

 

Coupled with a new wage ceiling imposed by owner Mike Ashley, the change in policy confirms the end of trophy signings at St James’ Park.

 

All of the Magpies’ four buys last month were in their early or mid-20s, with 29-year-old Fitz Hall only arriving on loan.

 

And Newcastle turned down the chance to buy Birmingham City’s Geordie centre-half Martin Taylor because he is 30.

 

Agents and clubs were told at the start of the transfer window that United would no longer pay wages of more than £15,000 a week and were only interested in permanent deals for players with their best years ahead of them.

 

This represents a sea change in attitude from the days when Newcastle would routinely outbid rival clubs – and outdo their wage offers – to land established, high-profile players, some of whom remain at St James’ Park on big money.

 

One agent said: “Newcastle say they are fed up with paying big money to players at or around the 30 mark, and are cutting their cloth accordingly.

 

“It’s all change from the days when clubs and players could rely on getting big money if Newcastle came in for them.”

 

------------

 

thoughts?

Link to post
Share on other sites

It is right to want players just before they peak, or near the start of their peak as that is something we've got massively wrong in the past.

 

However, the £15,000 better be for this division only, as even a half decent 21 year old will want more than that and we have to be competitive.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I agree with it on many levels, but I'd like to think that allowances could be made in exceptional circumstances.

 

Plus a £15k a week wage cap's going to get you nowhere in the Premier League.

 

We dont know that yet Inter, other clubs might start imposing the same controls on wages.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

a policy like this has to be a guideline rather than a strict rule. the last time club insiders came up with things like rubbishing targets such as richard dunne for having no 'resale value' - as if they thought that would sound sensible as a way to tarnish KK. that kind of thinking is simply insane, if a player is right for the club it doesnt matter if they are over a certain age. sometimes getting in an older player is exactly what you need. if you end up pissing off the manager than the rule ends up being massively counter productive.

Link to post
Share on other sites

NEWCASTLE have introduced a new long-term transfer strategy aimed at bringing extra youth – and value – to their squad.

 

The Sunday Sun understands that United applied strict fresh criteria to their transfer business in January, vetoing any full-time signings over the age of 26.

 

Coupled with a new wage ceiling imposed by owner Mike Ashley, the change in policy confirms the end of trophy signings at St James’ Park.

 

All of the Magpies’ four buys last month were in their early or mid-20s, with 29-year-old Fitz Hall only arriving on loan.

 

And Newcastle turned down the chance to buy Birmingham City’s Geordie centre-half Martin Taylor because he is 30.

 

Agents and clubs were told at the start of the transfer window that United would no longer pay wages of more than £15,000 a week and were only interested in permanent deals for players with their best years ahead of them.

 

This represents a sea change in attitude from the days when Newcastle would routinely outbid rival clubs – and outdo their wage offers – to land established, high-profile players, some of whom remain at St James’ Park on big money.

 

One agent said: “Newcastle say they are fed up with paying big money to players at or around the 30 mark, and are cutting their cloth accordingly.

 

“It’s all change from the days when clubs and players could rely on getting big money if Newcastle came in for them.”

 

------------

 

thoughts?

And are all Championship level players...

Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't think many fans are expecting a constant stream of top level signings these days but a seasonal 'marquee signing' mixed with good solid pro's (Williamson etc) and young lads with potential (Moses) would be one way of gradually improving the overall quality of the squad along with reducing capital outlay and managing wages.

 

The original article is pretty much what everyone has assumed was the case anyway and why nobody is linking us with daft signings any more iyam.

 

And when you look at the state of finances in football more widely I'd reckon all but 4 clubs will adopt the same strategy if they haven't already and why we need to be investing in the youth setup and the scouting arrangements more than ever before.

Link to post
Share on other sites

NEWCASTLE have introduced a new long-term transfer strategy aimed at bringing extra youth – and value – to their squad.

 

The Sunday Sun understands that United applied strict fresh criteria to their transfer business in January, vetoing any full-time signings over the age of 26.

 

Coupled with a new wage ceiling imposed by owner Mike Ashley, the change in policy confirms the end of trophy signings at St James’ Park.

 

All of the Magpies’ four buys last month were in their early or mid-20s, with 29-year-old Fitz Hall only arriving on loan.

 

And Newcastle turned down the chance to buy Birmingham City’s Geordie centre-half Martin Taylor because he is 30.

 

Agents and clubs were told at the start of the transfer window that United would no longer pay wages of more than £15,000 a week and were only interested in permanent deals for players with their best years ahead of them.

 

This represents a sea change in attitude from the days when Newcastle would routinely outbid rival clubs – and outdo their wage offers – to land established, high-profile players, some of whom remain at St James’ Park on big money.

 

One agent said: “Newcastle say they are fed up with paying big money to players at or around the 30 mark, and are cutting their cloth accordingly.

 

“It’s all change from the days when clubs and players could rely on getting big money if Newcastle came in for them.”

 

------------

 

thoughts?

And are all Championship level players...

 

Exactly, no evidence of a 'long term strategy' there at all. Taking a gamble on up and coming players (Beckford, Moses etc) is one thing but we aren't even doing that. Just scouring the league for cheap buys and squad fillers on loan.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Remember folks, the Sunday Sun is currently banned from SJP so this is more than likely just speculation. If it is true however, it can be viewed in a number of ways. Firstly, Ashley could intend to keep on running us on the cheap and we return to the day's of the 80's and once more become a feeder club for the big boys. Take that in tandem with becoming a yo-yo club between the Prem and the Championship.

 

However, it's one thing having this youth policy, but you have to buy in the quality first off and be prepared to pay for it. Think we've all had enough of the has beens who view us as an easy meal ticket. It's about finding a balance, but I'm not convinced that this is Ashley's true objective.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I think this policy has been a long time coming after the money we have squandered on very ordinary players past their peak. I think we will miss out on some real talent though unless we are a bit more flexible. The chance to sign Moses for a low-ish fee was missed because we refused to budge, and only time will tell if signing Best will prove better value in the long term. I'd be surprised.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Guest malandro

The average wage in the PL last season was 21k a week, so if this policy is true the best we can hope for would be adding below average PL players to our current squad.  It would also mean that S.Taylor, Enrique & Sideshow Bob will be off when their contacts expire, or a year earlier if we want to get a transfer fee for them.

 

A squad of 30 all on 15k a week would cost about £23m a year. Assuming our turnover got close to the £100m we used to get in the PL that’s a lot of spare cash – I wonder were it will all be going? Drastically reduced ticket prices to reflect the drastically reduced quality of the players we would be watching perhaps?

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

So this is Ashley returning to The System, the one that caused Keegan to quit but with an added pay cap.

 

Thought the new pay cap was common knowledge anyway?  There were loads of stories last month about how the club weren't prepared to pay anyone over £30k per week any more.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Pies, glorious pies.

Cheap Chicken and Balti.

Ashley wants a slice,

with Gravy and salty.

He is just a fat f***,

he doesn't like footy,

oh Ashley is fat,

Ashley is fat,

Ashleys a twaaat.

:kasper:

 

 

Ashley is....

 

 

 

 

 

 

FAT. Phat. Off the heezy.

 

Shizham! ... :smug: :thup: :yikes:

Link to post
Share on other sites

I agree we need to lower our wage bill but 15 ka week seems a little bit low to be competitive in the prem and that's only when you consider bringing players in never mind keeping the decent players we have. As for only signing players unser 26 i don't realy have a problem with that  (asmlong as we keep our good players aswell) imo experience is over rated i think the likes of butt and geremi prove that.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...