Ashley sets up new long term transfer strategy - Sunday Sun

Guest michaelfoster

Not actually read all this thread - but are people genuinely suggesting that Ranger should be one of our main strikers if we go up?  Seriously...?

Rather than buying someone like Keane?

Yes.

That's priceless.

Not actually read all this thread - but are people genuinely suggesting that Ranger should be one of our main strikers if we go up?  Seriously...?

Rather than buying someone like Keane?

Yes.

That's priceless.

more like scary.

You guys who think we should sign Keane are living in cloud cuckoo land. Ashley will not sanction funds for a player of his age and you can bet your bottom dollar Keane will be asking for big money.

Next season, if we go up, will be about survival mode as the board give the manager limited funds to strengthen the squad. I dont think many will leave, perhaps only Butt. However, I see us recruiting from the teams that have gone down or upper level CCC trams such as Swansea and WBA. If we had more than 10 million to spend, I would be very surprised and I think that a wise manager would look to supplement any permanent signing with a few loaned youngsters like Cleverely or Wilshire.

Those who think Owen might come back need to pull their heads in......................................IMMEDIATELY

a sensible wage policy is essential now, we don't want to spend silly money on silly players anymore

Exactly - which is what would rule Keane out. He is the type of player we need though - I totally agree with that.

We could just do without spaffing £75k a week on him.

Great, lets buy another player who has his best days behind him on an inflated contract.

While we are at it lets get rid of an up and coming precocious youngster we already have, with ten times the fitness, pace and agility straining at the leash for games to prove himself.

Sounds familiar, welcome to the NUFC merry go round of never learning a thing.

Guest bobthemag

While we are at it lets get rid of an up and coming precocious youngster we already have, with ten times the fitness, pace and agility straining at the leash for games to prove himself.

Sounds familiar, welcome to the NUFC merry go round of never learning a thing.

if we make a profit though, then that is good isn't it

Has anyone said that we should sell Ranger???  I don't think they have.

I think people have pointed out, rightly so, that a strikeforce of Carroll, Ameobi, Best, Lovenkrands and Ranger isn't going to keep us up.  I don't want to buy overpriced players on high wages, especially players on the wrong side of 30 - the only basis on which I would buy Keane was if it was an amazing deal for us (ie low fee and relatively low wages), which is unlikely to happen.

But anyone who is sitting here thinking that Ranger can be part of a Premiership strikeforce NEXT SEASON is a complete loon.

Keane would be a perfect signing.

First off he is a goalscorer, next year more goals are a must and Keane would fit that bill. Secondly, he's a striker who likes to drop deep and get on the ball. What i would give to have someone who looked for the ball in our current team.

I don't know why people are comparing Ranger and Keane, i know this is Newcastle but surely it's all about having a squad of players.

Keane would be a perfect signing.

First off he is a goalscorer, next year more goals are a must and Keane would fit that bill. Secondly, he's a striker who likes to drop deep and get on the ball. What i would give to have someone who looked for the ball in our current team.

I don't know why people are comparing Ranger and Keane, i know this is Newcastle but surely it's all about having a squad of players.

Keane would be great, but I doubt we will sign him. I'd rather think he will go to Celtic (as he's a Celtic fan and will play Champions League (?) there).

Don't really know but I think that our strikeforce of Carroll and Lovenkrands would do with a much better midfield behind them. Carroll has still a lot to improve but if he does than he'll be ok. Lovenkrands on the other hand already has shown last season that he's a threat in the Premier League.

So I would prefer to buy one or two good midfield players (a back up for Jonas seems important to me as well).

I think some people need to put down their standards a bit. We won't be able to sign top Premier Leauge strikers (as Keane still is for me) immediatly after promotion. I could be wrong here, though.

I think people have pointed out, rightly so, that a strikeforce of Carroll, Ameobi, Best, Lovenkrands and Ranger isn't going to keep us up.  I don't want to buy overpriced players on high wages, especially players on the wrong side of 30 - the only basis on which I would buy Keane was if it was an amazing deal for us (ie low fee and relatively low wages), which is unlikely to happen.

But anyone who is sitting here thinking that Ranger can be part of a Premiership strikeforce NEXT SEASON is a complete loon.

If we are just fantasising about dream scenarios, I'd like to buy Torres from Liverpool for around £2m and a princely wage of around 22k. Ideally after scoring against the scousers he'd race to the the Kop end lifting his shirt to reveal an "UP YOURS BIN-DIPPERS" vest on his debut.

If we are just fantasising about dream scenarios, I'd like to buy Torres from Liverpool for around £2m and a princely wage of around 22k. Ideally after scoring against the scousers he'd race to the the Kop end lifting his shirt to reveal an "UP YOURS BIN-DIPPERS" vest on his debut.

Because that's what I said...  :facepalm:

Keane comes with baggage IMO. You have to ask why is it he never stays anywhere for more than a few games?

I've not heard of any baggage in terms of off-the-field stuff. But every club he goes to seems to get disillusioned with him after a season or two, and he hasn't quite found his level.

Keane produces moments of eye-catching skill which might tempt clubs to see him as the answer, but he's not particularly quick or strong for a player that seems to prefer an out and out striker role. Clubs tend to eventually opt for someone with more physical presence.

I rate Ranger and I'd like to see him given more game time.

You guys who think we should sign Keane are living in cloud cuckoo land. Ashley will not sanction funds for a player of his age and you can bet your bottom dollar Keane will be asking for big money.

Next season, if we go up, will be about survival mode as the board give the manager limited funds to strengthen the squad. I dont think many will leave, perhaps only Butt. However, I see us recruiting from the teams that have gone down or upper level CCC trams such as Swansea and WBA. If we had more than 10 million to spend, I would be very surprised and I think that a wise manager would look to supplement any permanent signing with a few loaned youngsters like Cleverely or Wilshire.

Those who think Owen might come back need to pull their heads in......................................IMMEDIATELY

not many are saying we should or could buy him,  many are saying that given the choice in the summer of playing keane or ranger , they'd play keane.

not many are saying we should or could buy him,  many are saying that given the choice in the summer of playing keane or ranger , they'd play keane.

In the outlandish scenario he would agree to drop his wages to the level of the rest of the squad I'm still not convinced it would be a good idea. As others have repeatedly pointed out, buying players who have had their best days with other clubs hasn't been a successful policy for us. Ashley's policy of steering clear of these sort of deals will be better for us long term I feel. Not that I don't rate Robbie Keane but he is usually way over-valued and being quite slow he is absolutely the wrong player for us.

In the outlandish scenario he would agree to drop his wages to the level of the rest of the squad I'm still not convinced it would be a good idea. As others have repeatedly pointed out, buying players who have had their best days with other clubs hasn't been a successful policy for us. Ashley's policy of steering clear of these sort of deals will be better for us long term I feel. Not that I don't rate Robbie Keane but he is usually way over-valued and being quite slow he is absolutely the wrong player for us.

In fairness it's a double edged sword.  Your right in that we have been poor at buying players past their peak and them giving us a good return on the pitch.  In fact we've over spent on fee and wages on older players and on top got a poor showing on the pitch from them.  This isn't to say it's impossible though, just that we've got it wrong a lot.  There are players out there who are 30+ who could come here and do a decent job.  There is a bit of luck involved, but it's silly to rule it out completely.  With regard to the Keane scenario I just explained that I wouldn't want him here because I know in reality he would bring a fairly high fee and wages.  There would also be an element of risk that he would decline fast and turn out to be not such a good signing.  I then explained that if he was on the cheap, fee wise and wages, that he'd be worth a punt and this is because I feel he is the type of player that would be more succesful at offering us good play on the pitch as he gets older than the types we have signed and failed on in the past - an exception if you will.

Anyways, probably best we all walk away from talking about Keane, it's a million to one scenario that it would ever happen anyway.

I wouldn't go for Keane, he's just not worth it IMO.  Having said that its silly to think that we need to limit ourselves to cheap Championship level players :nope:  We just need to make sure to stay within our rather luxurious means as a club and we'll be fine.

I hope Owen comes back..... playing for Manu/Everton.... or whoever wants to pay for is massively over-inflated salary...... the Mackems would be nice..... so we can give him a raft of **** for being one of the architects of our downfall. He barely played for years and whenever he did he looked as if he was about to be sick. If he disliked us that much, why didnt he ask for the contract to be annulled and F*** off!