Realistic Transfer Targets Summer 2010

Thespence

I've never seen him played, and only heard of him through FM (yes, I know), but has anyone seen or heard of Romelu Lukaku? Was interested to see what he was like so did a Google search, and he's a 6 foot 4 striker, just 16, and scored 15 in 29 this season and just been called up to the Belgian squad already. I'd imagine much bigger clubs than us are on alert but worth a mention anyway...see, FM does work.

He's mental, born in Belgium so his age is not in question, he's like Altidore but with technique.

Don't know when being compared to Altidore became a complement. What does he have 1 or 2 goals in 28 appearances this season? Not to mention his attitude problems. He's Balotelli with less talent.

Guest Heneage

I've never seen him played, and only heard of him through FM (yes, I know), but has anyone seen or heard of Romelu Lukaku? Was interested to see what he was like so did a Google search, and he's a 6 foot 4 striker, just 16, and scored 15 in 29 this season and just been called up to the Belgian squad already. I'd imagine much bigger clubs than us are on alert but worth a mention anyway...see, FM does work.

He's mental, born in Belgium so his age is not in question, he's like Altidore but with technique.

Don't know when being compared to Altidore became a complement. What does he have 1 or 2 goals in 28 appearances this season? Not to mention his attitude problems. He's Balotelli with less talent.

It wasn't a complement. I was suggesting he's a big back to goal type striker with good pace.

I certainly wouldn't be, not one proven goalcorer in that entire squad.

I honestly couldn't think of one we could realistically get. I also don't see much chance of them buying any strikers, that's how I think our squad will look.

Goals are very expensive. You're not going to get a "proven" goalscorer for less than 10m. You'll have to take gambles. That said, a lot of sides manage to stay up without one (see Bolton, Wolves, probably West Ham...)

That is why I suggested going for Kuranyi - a proven scorer in the Bundesliga and free of contract at the end of the season. Yes, his wages will be on the high side but NO FEE and we need all the money we have to strengthen other parts of the team too.

I reckon he and Carroll would get enough between them to keep us mid-table as long as others in midfield chipped in.

Don't Belgium have lots of team spirit problems? I read that the dressing room is normally at war.

I agree they should be doing a lot better though. If they had a good striker (not Lukaku) they could be very dangerous.

Wasn't Gomis a target sometime ago. Seems to have dropped out of the radar. Was supposed to be another of the "next Drogba"...

He's been a moderate success at Lyon, man. Not that prolific, but he never has been. He's way way out of our league anyway. Gomis was absolute terrible from the buildup of Euro 2008 and throughout last season, but still commanded a large fee and seems to have found himself again this year.

never heard of him , but linked in today's Daily Mail.

Newcastle and Leeds are competing to sign Algerian international defender Walid Cherfa.

The left-back, 24, plays for Spanish club Gimnastic Tarragona, but will be a free agent this summer after rejecting a new contract.

never heard of him , but linked in today's Daily Mail.

Newcastle and Leeds are competing to sign Algerian international defender Walid Cherfa.

The left-back, 24, plays for Spanish club Gimnastic Tarragona, but will be a free agent this summer after rejecting a new contract.

Have a couple friends that support Nàstic. I'll email them asking about him.

They are a midtable Segunda División club, so I wouldn't expect much. Cheap cover I assume.

Makes you wonder how Belgium don't get anywhere near qualifying for major tournaments really. Kompany, Vermaelen, van Buyten, Defour, Witsel, Fellaini, Hazard...should be threatening the last 8 of major tournaments with that core and yet haven't even made a major tournament since they co-hosted Euro 2000!

Thing is, apart from van Buyten all of those players are pretty young. They could conceivably play together at the next Euros & the following World Cup if they get their act together.

Read something in The Times recently where someone suggested they'll be one of the favourites for the 2014 WC. Maybe taking things a bit too far, but they've got some generation coming through. Add decent players like Verthongen, vanden Borre, Mirallas etc to that and they've got a very capable team.

Just watched the Hamburg game, JP Guererro would be a good addition, maybe not a starter but a very good squad player with bags of potential. Marcus Berg has honestly failed to cut it this season, lots of problems with injuries though, but he needs to prove himself at a higher level than Groningen and the Swedish U21s.

dont forget the manboy lukaku

Lukaku has a younger bro n all who is supposedly even better IIRC

Guest Roger Kint

Just had a look at a rumours site, mainly for the comedy value of these idiots, our rumours include:

We know or its been reported that Chris Hughton will have 15 Million to spend, he knows that he will need more than that, therefore as has already been reported in several papers Steven Taylor will be on his way and possibly Tim Krull (which would be a disaster as he will be a class goal keeper). The only other players to go will be Butt and Pancrate – Hughton wants to keep most of the players he has got now as it has been reported the team spirit in the camp has been the main reason why Newcastle got the title! Hughton will know that this will be vital when entering the first season back in the premiership. Expect two or three signings which will be season loans, freebies and small buys – long gone are the days of big money spending so it will be players like, Gary Neville (Free), Patrick Van Aanholt (Loan) I would also imagine that Hughton will use his links with Spurs to land Danny Rose and Robbie Keane on season loans. Jimmy

Michael Brown - NUFC

Rose/Keane - Season loans

Lee Hughes - NUFC

:facepalm:

Just had a look at a rumours site, mainly for the comedy value of these idiots, our rumours include:

We know or its been reported that Chris Hughton will have 15 Million to spend, he knows that he will need more than that, therefore as has already been reported in several papers Steven Taylor will be on his way and possibly Tim Krull (which would be a disaster as he will be a class goal keeper). The only other players to go will be Butt and Pancrate – Hughton wants to keep most of the players he has got now as it has been reported the team spirit in the camp has been the main reason why Newcastle got the title! Hughton will know that this will be vital when entering the first season back in the premiership. Expect two or three signings which will be season loans, freebies and small buys – long gone are the days of big money spending so it will be players like, Gary Neville (Free), Patrick Van Aanholt (Loan) I would also imagine that Hughton will use his links with Spurs to land Danny Rose and Robbie Keane on season loans. Jimmy

Michael Brown - NUFC

Rose/Keane - Season loans

Lee Hughes - NUFC

:facepalm:

I will literally weep if any of these happen.

That's so contradictory :lol:  They say Hughton knows he'll need more then £15m (so we'll sell Taylor), then they suggest we'll sign players that wouldn't cost anywhere near £15m let alone more.

Guest Roger Kint

That's so contradictory :lol:  They say Hughton knows he'll need more then £15m (so we'll sell Taylor), then they suggest we'll sign players that wouldn't cost anywhere near £15m let alone more.

You think thats bad, theres daily comedy from Liverpool/Arsenal fans over who there will sign, literally hundred of players ;D

I'm struggling to remember when Kevin Doyle 'proved he can score at the highest level' tbh. 

Would be a complete waste of a signing. 

Did he not score 13 goals for Reading the year they got relegated? That's better than any of our current strikers.....

I'm struggling to remember when Kevin Doyle 'proved he can score at the highest level' tbh. 

Did he not score 13 goals for Reading the year they got relegated? That's better than any of our current strikers.....

Just found that out was 6.

What? You were 6? Or he was?

What? You were 6? Or he was?

6 goals in the 2nd PL season they were relegated and 13 goals in the 1st PL season.

Fact: Doyle began to show a great threat in the air, during the year 2007 he scored more headers than any other player in England's leagues.

If we signed Doyle it wouldn't be for his goalscoring but his workrate, which is fantastic. I think he'd be good foil for Carroll but i'd worry where the goals would come from.