Realistic Transfer Targets Summer 2010

Thespence

Surely we need strikers with a bit of pace since Lövenkrands isn't getting younger and is a very limited footballer competing on a higher level.

How has Podolski been doing at Köln? Is he too expensive?

Rasmus Elm(Alkmaar), Skjelbred, Gustav Svensson(IFK Göteborg), Emir Bajrami(Elfsborg), Mathias Jörgensen(FCK) are all players we should be looking at from Scandinavia.

Surely we need strikers with a bit of pace since Lövenkrands isn't getting younger and is a very limited footballer competing on a higher level.

How has Podolski been doing at Köln? Is he too expensive?

Rasmus Elm(Alkmaar), Skjelbred, Gustav Svensson(IFK Göteborg), Emir Bajrami(Elfsborg), Mathias Jörgensen(FCK) are all players we should be looking at from Scandinavia.

Podolski has been turboshit at Koln. Chances of him leaving there are miniscule n all.

fingers crossed if we go up then we need two strikers really. none of our current lot are premiership forwards - shola is diabolical, lovenkrands's use is limited to a squad player, carroll's not good enough and ranger is far too young (and will hopefully be on loan next season). pace/movement is an important quality and counts for a lot in the premiership, so i do hope the club will currently be looking for at least one striker with that quality.

I reckon Xisco will play a part next season tbh.

Seriously?

I can't see anyone buying him, and I also can't see us signing too many strikers.

He isn't good enough and he doesn't want to be here.  I don't believe he has done that well back in Spain either from when I last looked in to it.  I believe he will go on the cheap or we will loan him back to another Spanish club who want to give him a go.

Isn't it a case that if we play him for so many games that we have make extra payments on his fee? so it's in our interest to get rid than risk playing him, paying more, and him still being shit?

In my opinion we should have given the lad more chances, either last season or this one.  Either way it hasn't happened and can only presume it's because he's shite or got a shite attitude. How would you feel about him coming back and playing given that he admitted to lying/pretending to be injured in order to get to another club?

Seriously?

I can't see anyone buying him, and I also can't see us signing too many strikers.

He isn't good enough and he doesn't want to be here.  I don't believe he has done that well back in Spain either from when I last looked in to it.  I believe he will go on the cheap or we will loan him back to another Spanish club who want to give him a go.

Isn't it a case that if we play him for so many games that we have make extra payments on his fee? so it's in our interest to get rid than risk playing him, paying more, and him still being shit?

In my opinion we should have given the lad more chances, either last season or this one.  Either way it hasn't happened and can only presume it's because he's shite or got a shite attitude. How would you feel about him coming back and playing given that he admitted to lying/pretending to be injured in order to get to another club?

Obviously what he did was wrong, but I can understand why he did it, he's been shown no respect at any time by the club. Kinnear refused to acknowledge his existance, and he wasn't considered under Shearer either. We treated him like dirt and he's ended up getting fed up.

If he was to come back with a renewed attitude and show he's ready to commit to the club, then I'd give him another chance. The club have given the likes of Barton enough chances, Xisco deserves another one if we can't sell him.

Seriously?

Obviously what he did was wrong, but I can understand why he did it, he's been shown no respect at any time by the club. Kinnear refused to acknowledge his existance, and he wasn't considered under Shearer either. We treated him like dirt and he's ended up getting fed up.

If he was to come back with a renewed attitude and show he's ready to commit to the club, then I'd give him another chance. The club have given the likes of Barton enough chances, Xisco deserves another one if we can't sell him.

That's fair enough if you feel that way.  Good comparison on Barton, he's been far worse and we've overlooked that enough times.  What about the part about him not really being good enough? is he good enough from what you've seen? does he need more time for a decision like that to be made?

Guest Stephen927

To sign a striker, we're going to have to sell one. Who do people see leaving? Ranger possibly on a loan, Best could be on the move, Ameobi is here to stay, Carroll would attract good offers but hes hitting some scoring form, same with Lovenkrands.

I think striker will be seen as a position that doesn't need strengthening.

Seriously?

That's fair enough if you feel that way.  Good comparison on Barton, he's been far worse and we've overlooked that enough times.  What about the part about him not really being good enough? is he good enough from what you've seen? does he need more time for a decision like that to be made?

can he be worse than shola is on average?

To sign a striker, we're going to have to sell one. Who do people see leaving? Ranger possibly on a loan, Best could be on the move, Ameobi is here to stay, Carroll would attract good offers but hes hitting some scoring form, same with Lovenkrands.

that would be a disaster really. i can see ranger going out on loan, but as you say, i'm not sure about getting rid of the others. Shola has a nice contract for his hometown club so no reason for someone as unambitious as him to move. Carroll would be most in demand but cant see hughton selling him. Loven could possibly leave to a danish or european club. we certainly would need strikers if we went up though. Signing Best will be terrible if that transfer rules out getting another striker in at a later date.

Seriously?

can he be worse than shola is on average?

unless your factoring in his ability to stay injury free, Ameobi is streets ahead of Xisco from what I've seen.

We'll probably end up signing Beckford still. Saha has been flying and has now signed a deal with Everton, which means they now have Saha, Yakubu, Anichebe and Vaughan on their books, and they usually play one up front. The Beckford hype has died down since they went out of the cup and if we go up I could see him coming to Newcastle on a free.

that would be a disaster really. i can see ranger going out on loan, but as you say, i'm not sure about getting rid of the others. Shola has a nice contract for his hometown club so no reason for someone as unambitious as him to move. Carroll would be most in demand but cant see hughton selling him. Loven could possibly leave to a danish or european club. we certainly would need strikers if we went up though. Signing Best will be terrible if that transfer rules out getting another striker in at a later date.

I'd like us to keep Carroll, Loven and Ameobi if we go up.  Would still see Ameobi as cover only (he's too injury prone to be considered permanent first team anyway).  Carroll shouldn't be relied upon in the Premiership.  Bossing around CCC defenders is one thing, but your Rio Ferdinand's and your John Terry's will quite easily put him in his place.  Lovenkrands is my fav striker, he actually looks like he is better than the rest.  I think we need to sell Best and sell Xisco (loan if we can't sell Xisco) and loan out Ranger for a full season.  Then bring in one decent striker who can be our main first team guy to partner Lovenkrands and give Carroll someone to learn from too perhaps.

We'll probably end up signing Beckford still. Saha has been flying and has now signed a deal with Everton, which means they now have Saha, Yakubu, Anichebe and Vaughan on their books, and they usually play one up front. The Beckford hype has died down since they went out of the cup and if we go up I could see him coming to Newcastle on a free.

Probably about right.  I'd love it if we could do better and we probably could, whether the club find that man and sign him is another thing given the suggested policy on new signings.  Despite some of his critics, I thought he looked useful against Spurs and United so think he could do an ok job for a Prem team.  Still a gamble though, like.

Beckford and Snodgrass would be stupid signings. Hell of a way to prepare for the Premiership, signing players from League 1. If this campaign has shown us anything it's that the gap between the Premiership and the Championship is massive, never mind League 1. The money could fetch better elsewhere.