Realistic Transfer Targets Summer 2010

Thespence

Where did I say that?

You inferred that buying two players would turn a Championship side into a mid-table one. I strongly disagree. Especially with the injuries that proliferate this club.

I said that those two in our starting lineup plus a fit Barton would have us approaching mid-table. I by no means said or implied that I wanted us to sign only 2 players.

Where did I say that?

You inferred that buying two players would turn a Championship side into a mid-table one. I strongly disagree. Especially with the injuries that proliferate this club.

I said that those two in our starting lineup plus a fit Barton would have us approaching mid-table. I by no means said or implied that I wanted us to sign only 2 players.

Yes you did.  Just admit it.

:fishing:

You realise Gilberto Silva will be 34 next season. I wouldn't be averse if he came on a free for low wages (he wouldn't) but I wouldn't expect thim to be rampaging around the place.

yes, i do actually have access to the internet.  O0 from the little ive seen of him recently, he still looks to have good energy levels, knows how do to his DM role better than alan smith and would do a job to reestablish us in the league, imo. of course ashley might not sanction his transfer if past events and current newspaper gossip is anything to go by, which would be a pity as experience would be useful in a situation like next season, provided we go up.

You realise Gilberto Silva will be 34 next season. I wouldn't be averse if he came on a free for low wages (he wouldn't) but I wouldn't expect thim to be rampaging around the place.

yes, i do actually have access to the internet.  O0 from the little ive seen of him recently, he still looks to have good energy levels, knows how do to his DM role better than alan smith and would do a job to reestablish us in the league, imo. of course ashley might not sanction his transfer if past events and current newspaper gossip is anything to go by, which would be a pity as experience would be useful in a situation like next season, provided we go up.

iirc there were rumours the other summer that he turned us down for Panathaniakos because he didn't want to play for an English team other than Arsenal

Going into the summer transfer window, if we get promoted, does anyone else think it would be worth a punt at trying to get Rodegella from Wigan? I know a few clubs would be after him, but if we did what we generally did in January and go about our business quietly we could maybe stand a decent chance.

Going into the summer transfer window, if we get promoted, does anyone else think it would be worth a punt at trying to get Rodegella from Wigan? I know a few clubs would be after him, but if we did what we generally did in January and go about our business quietly we could maybe stand a decent chance.

isn't he very left sided ? ie bruce is desperate to get him as left back ?

isn't he very left sided ? ie bruce is desperate to get him as left back ?

He's a striker. I think you're talking about Figeroua.

A lot depends on how much money Ashley will give Hughton to spend, of course. As I see it, we probably need to strengthen both full back areas, another wide midfielder and a speedy smallish striker.

Players that might be worth a look who may be cheapish could be:

Shorey from Villa

Dorrans from WBA

Pennant from Zaragosa

Tuncay from Stoke

Taylor from Bolton

Assuming we will lose Butt, this wouild give us enough cover at the back and in midfield.

If we had a few more million to spend, I wouldnt mind McGeady from Celtic.

Guest geordienorway

I like the look of Issiar Dia. Plays at AS Nancy. Quick little player that can play on the right or upfront.

Agreed. Has bags of pace and very good tecnique. Would be an excellent addition to the squad, but he won't go on the cheap.

Was thinking just now aboot Beye, imagine how much more fun he would have had with us this season instead of playing sitting on the bench at Villa.

What a stupid move that turned out to be, the same with Martins.

Of course we had to get rid of wages but i always thought aboot this, as a football player why not go down on wages for a year just because you want to play at a club?

Very few has done it but i hope one day we can see something like that even if it's not at Newcastle.

Playing football beats sitting on a bench with more money in my books at least.

Thats true to a degree i feel, beye needed his wages though as hes at the later end of his career.

Don't know how realistic it is, but Pablo Piatti really caught my eye yesterday for Almeria. He worked both flanks, worked hard, neat passing, good technique, dribbling and scored a goal. This is the only game I've seen him play, so can't say too much.

Can't be to expensive considering he plays for Almeria...?

A lot depends on how much money Ashley will give Hughton to spend, of course. As I see it, we probably need to strengthen both full back areas, another wide midfielder and a speedy smallish striker.

Shorey from Villa

Dorrans from WBA

Pennant from Zaragosa

Tuncay from Stoke

Taylor from Bolton

Assuming we will lose Butt, this wouild give us enough cover at the back and in midfield.

Dorrans would be at least £6-7m, and McGeady would be offered far bigger money elsewhere.

Withe strike force we currently have, we need someone who can score smething like 15 goals a season in the PL next year. Fletcher doesnt fall into that category. Eagles might be useful as a winger, if we sold Jonas.

I personally think Ashley will need to release substantial funds for someone like this. Not sure who but maybe someone like the russian lad at Spurs who looks quite handy.

Guest jonlane86

Shorey from Villa

Dorrans from WBA

Pennant from Zaragosa

Tuncay from Stoke

Taylor from Bolton

Shorey from Villa - When we have Enrique would he come?  He would rather play in the Championship and start every week rather than sit on the bench most weeks for a relegation fighting PL side.

Dorrans from WBA - If WBA get promoted he wont leave, if WBA don't get promoted he wont leave to come to us, he's too good.

Pennant from Zaragosa - Never in a million years, too many off the field issues, too old, past it, again why would he want to come when we have Routledge and Jonas who should walk into the side ahead of him.  Plus his wage demands would be too high.

Tuncay from Stoke - If we can pay him acceptable wages and not splash too much on the fee I'd love to have him.

Taylor from Bolton - As above.  If we sign him we can get rid of Ryan.

On McGeady from Celtic, again if he leaves for a PL side it will be someone better than us.

I think he will end up at Birmingham.

Does anyone think Hughton might flog Ameobi in the summer? Bound to get offers from Championship clubs.

If we go up I'd definelty look to be raiding some of the botton half of the table Premier League clubs:

Doyle (Wolves)

Milijas (Wolves)

Eagles (Burnley)

Fletcher (Burnley)

Diop (Portsmouth)

Boateng (Portsmouth)

Belhadj (Portsmouth)

Altidore (Hull/Villareal)

Kapo (Wigan)

Watson (Wigan)

Grella (Blackburn)

Roberts (Blackburn)

Muamba (Bolton)

Klasnic (Bolton/Nates)

Cohen (Bolton)

Taylor (bolton)

Shorey from Villa

Dorrans from WBA

Pennant from Zaragosa

Tuncay from Stoke

Taylor from Bolton

Shorey from Villa - When we have Enrique would he come?  He would rather play in the Championship and start every week rather than sit on the bench most weeks for a relegation fighting PL side.

Dorrans from WBA - If WBA get promoted he wont leave, if WBA don't get promoted he wont leave to come to us, he's too good.

Pennant from Zaragosa - Never in a million years, too many off the field issues, too old, past it, again why would he want to come when we have Routledge and Jonas who should walk into the side ahead of him.  Plus his wage demands would be too high.

Tuncay from Stoke - If we can pay him acceptable wages and not splash too much on the fee I'd love to have him.

Taylor from Bolton - As above.  If we sign him we can get rid of Ryan.

I don't think we will be in a position to pick and choose. If WBA dont go up, if Bolton etc go down, available players listed above may become cheaper and affordable. It is all heresay anyway. With regards to McGeady, a lot will depend on how much they want for him and how much we would get for Jonas, if he were to go. We can always persuade him that Newcastle is closer to scotland than Birmingham......LOL