Realistic Transfer Targets Summer 2010

Thespence

Unrealistic:

Joe Ledley (Cardiff)

Out of contract at the end of the season. Don't see any reason why he won't move to us in the Premiership.

He will move to the Premiership, but it wont be to us.

Wasn't great this season then suffered a bit hip injury that finished his season. He won't be going to any of the big clubs.

Good Shout:

Chris Eagles (Burnley)

Michael Kightly (Wolves)

Kightly has been a flop in the Premiership, I don't see any reason to believe he would be better than Routledge. Eagles' has been great every time I have seen him play, though.

People have been talking about Milijas. He's great on the ball, but he seems to have Nolanesque presence on the pitch. I'm afraid you'd need a midfield of 3 to accomodate him.

Adding Keane and Beattie to give us a first eleven of:

Harper

Simpson Taylor Colo Enrique

Routledge Guthrie Barton Jonas

Keane Beattie

Subs: Krul, Smith, Ranger, Lovenkrands, Williamson, Nolan, Carrol

Bringing Williamson into centre and pushing taylor onto right would also be worth a shot. Surely worth mid-table for our first season back. Minimal outlay assuming we sell Best and Ameobi, with Butt of the wage bill. Pancrate and RTaylor also need to be shed.

Would love to see Bellamy back here but dont think wed buy him wth age and injuries against him now.

Agree with the Piatti suggestions, he's a cracking little player who I've liked the look of every time I've seen him play. He has an Italian passport aswell I think which would mean there would be no Work Permit problems.

Could imagine it being a little bit too pricey to bring him here though unfortuantely, Almeria paid around about £5 Million on him i seem to remember so they'll probably want a bit of profit on that.

Didn't know they paid that kind of money for him. Probably out of our range then.  :-[

Guest Heneage

With the relationship between Mourinho and Hughton i wouldn't mind us putting in a cheeky loan deal bid for Quaresma for next season.

Would. Cream.Pants.

Good Shout:

Chris Eagles (Burnley)

Michael Kightly (Wolves)

Kightly has been a flop in the Premiership, I don't see any reason to believe he would be better than Routledge. Eagles' has been great every time I have seen him play, though.

People have been talking about Milijas. He's great on the ball, but he seems to have Nolanesque presence on the pitch. I'm afraid you'd need a midfield of 3 to accomodate him.

Kightly has been injured most of the season to be fair to him. Matt Jarvis has looked sporadically good for Wolves in his place.

Milijas although good is 27 and as Fat Ashley is the new Wenger is a no no. Agree with the 3 man midfield comment n all.

EDIT: You know of any young(ish) guns in the Spanish game who would improve us? (realistic obviously)

With the relationship between Mourinho and Hughton i wouldn't mind us putting in a cheeky loan deal bid for Quaresma for next season.

what relationship?

being almost as good as each other and stuff, surely Hughton must have caught Mourinhos interest by now in terms of exchanging tactics

Ah ofcourse.  :snod:

O'Hara and Dorrans are good shouts. Both would definitely at something to our weak midfield.

Quite like the look of Steven Fletcher too, scored 11 goals this season in a poor poor Burnley team. If Burnley go down I think we could bag him cheap, certainly better than anything we've got.

Would. Cream.Pants.

I'm the biggest slater of Quaresma around but if he signed for us in any form I would have a similar reaction. Way out of our range I feel though.

When I see you can sort a CM out for under £5 million: Hitzlperger (£2.6million, Stuttgart to Lazio) & Pedro Mendes (£1.48million, Rangers to Sporting) it gives me hope we can get decent players in at fair price. We may however not be able to sign the likes of Chris Smalling (£10 million, Fulham to Man Utd).

Good Shout:

Chris Eagles (Burnley)

Michael Kightly (Wolves)

Kightly has been injured most of the season to be fair to him. Matt Jarvis has looked sporadically good for Wolves in his place.

Milijas although good is 27 and as Fat Ashley is the new Wenger is a no no. Agree with the 3 man midfield comment n all.

EDIT: You know of any young(ish) guns in the Spanish game who would improve us? (realistic obviously)

Let me think... it's hard sometimes to see if a Spanish player will be able to make the move, given how different we play.

Okay, ignoring people like Guardado, Valero, Javi Hernández, etc... who probably are out of your league at this time, and people over 27 years old:

- Chori Castro. Uruguayan left winger from Mallorca. He was Jonás' understudy there, but has flourished this season and has much better end product, (doesn't have his engine, though). Great dribbler and has a few goals in him. Had problems adapting when he moved to La Liga though. I think he can go on to be a very good player.

- Pedro León. Right winger from Getafe. Another pacey, great dribbler, great FK taker too. I think Chelsea was sniffing around him a few years ago.

- Bruno Soriano. Defensive mid from Villarreal. Great engine, very good in possession almost never wastes a ball. He looks a bit small, but makes it up with aggressiveness. He is expected to be Senna's successor for them.

- Nicolás Pareja. Argentine centreback from Espanyol. Very good at positioning, calm, no non-sense. Has a few caps with Argentina.

- Pablo Piatti. If you want your own midget Argentinian winger that's the best bang for the buck. Very quick and able. I think he is one of the players with most fouls won in La Liga. He's still developing as a player but he can be a very good one. He is very brave despite his diminutiveness.

- Ander Herrera. Attacking mid from Zaragoza. He's still developing (he's 20), but he will be a Spanish international. Great technique and playmaking skills. Needs to hit the weights, though.

- Mario Suárez. Strong, hard tackling defensive mid from Mallorca. Great engine.

- De Las Cuevas. Gijón's attacking mid. I have the suspicion that he shows more than he does (i.e. not much real end product), but he can play in both wings and behind the hole, and has a great run on him and very good work rate.

- Azpilicueta. Young right back from Osasuna. Has already been around the Spain squad. Monreal on the other side of their defense is even better, but you already have Enrique there.

- Joan Verdú. He is 27, so might be a bit old for you. He's De La Peña's successor at Espanyol. Very decent playmaker, one of those that may not be spectacular, but hardly wastes a ball. He has a few goals in him too.

And what about the Manchester City guy on loan to Málaga, Caicedo? He seems pretty decent but he has only played a handful games in Spain.

Again, all of those are currently mid to low table La Liga players, but I think they all have some decent potential.

Nice one VI.

Caicedo was very much hit or miss in the Premiership although he was often up top alone. Definitely got the build for the Premiership though and could be worth a punt. Never going to get a game for City if he returns.

I personally think Caicedo is woeful. He scored a few goals, mostly as a sub iirc, when City had injuries but his actual play and ability looked very poor.

Isn't he only at Malaga because Sporting Lisbon didn't want him anymore and ripped up his loan deal?

How about Kazim Kazim? Talented young player who knows the league. On loan at Toulouse right now which maybe means he would be available to buy.

Didn't know he was at Toulouse, hows he doing? Always thought he was pretty shit at Sheff Utd but seems to have forged a decent career for himself since he left.

Maybe we should spunk big bucks on Arda Turan (not that he'd move)