Roy Hodgson appointed new England manager

Ishmael

Guest Craig-NUFC

Will the England manager have any influence on the goings on at St George's Park?

If so, imagine the players we'd be churning out if Redknapp or Pearce were in charge  :anguish:

the Baggies at uni are well gutted, simply because they can't think of anyone they'd be happy with as a replacement.  Vehemently opposed to Agent Bruce and one of them reckons Curbishley is already meant to have spoken to Villa.

Probably the Mick Mac.

Took the piss and suggested this, said it could be a little trait for the midlands - hire your rivals' ex-manager.  Nearly sent him over the edge.

:lol:

Guest ToonZA

Happy with Roy and hope he gives the media a tough time because they surely going to make things difficult for him. They would have loved 'arry as he cant help himself when in close proximity to a microphone. He'd fill their pages which is all they really care about anyway.

The problem however is that the vast majority of the players at his disposal are inferior to their European counterparts. They lack the technique and tactical awareness required to play a more patient, possession based game in order to excel at international level. They have been brought up in the physical, powerful and more direct PL where possession changes hands more frequently than it does in any of the other big leagues. It also doesn't help that practically none of them have ventured outside of the PL in order to learn new skills, tactics or about different playing styles. A further point is that not many of them have extensive CL experience, especially when compared to their Spanish, German and Italian counterparts. When you throw in the media hype/circus that creates unrealistic expectations of the players and then villifies them when they do not succeed, you have the perfect recipe for failure.

The FA also appear to be doing FA about ensuring that the next generation of England players do not suffer from the technical defiencies displayed by most of the current crop. There just seems to be a conveyor belt of the same type of player judging by the painful experience of watching the recent performances of the U21's under Pearce.

Now I know that some of my points might be regarded as generalising but I did not wish to create a lenghty post. This is merely my take on the English national team in a effort to further illustrate the problems Roy will be facing.

Poor Roy hasn't got a chance, has he?

The media are going to break him (they're certainly in the process of doing so right now!). If he does indeed get appointed, will definitely give him a chance. Like some people have mentioned, he does have experience of different leagues and all that so logically speaking, he should be able to bring his knowledge to some good use on the international stage.

You guys have written him off even before the media.

Im happy to support Roy and watch England under him. I don't see it ending well, he is establishment and the status quo of over aged divas will remain imo. He is a great manager though. It seems an uninspiring appointment but Capello, Keegan, Sven all looked great and turned to crap.

Still think Harry would have been better, its win win, either he gets somewhere with England or we get to see the press rip his bent being to shreds.

Suprised to see that so many would like to have Hodgson as an England manager. For me he showed at Liverpool that he doesn´t have what it takes on the big scenes.

Uninspiring as always from the FA.

But he does seems like an likeable guy. Maybe that is something that will be with him and England, and the fact that he is better than Stuart Pearce (no idea what he is doing at the nationel team at any level).

Guest neesy111

Suprised to see that so many would like to have Hodgson as an England manager. For me he showed at Liverpool that he doesn´t have what it takes on the big scenes.

But he does seems like an likeable guy. Maybe that is something that will be with him and England, and the fact that he is better than Stuart Pearce (no idea what he is doing at the nationel team at any level).

Is managing Inter Milan twice small time then?

hmm, didn´t knew that. I´m still a bit worried that he won´t copy with this job. But I guess we will see as he will be the new manager.

Guest neesy111

hmm, didn´t knew that. I´m still a bit worried that he won´t copy with this job. But I guess we will see as he will be the new manager.

His time at Liverpool was bad for his credibility but many things went against him so it shouldn't hold him back from this job imo.

Guest Stephen927

Worth a gamble again for him to make that step up. He'll know from his time at Fulham that there's only so far you can take that level of team. It's a tough job and he'll likely fail in the eyes of many when we don't make it to the semis, but the honour of managing your country to a major tournament shouldn't be underestimated.

Guest neesy111

If the tabloid football press are against him that's a good enough reason to get right behind the guy.

Very true.  When do the press ever get it right.....

Im happy to support Roy and watch England under him. I don't see it ending well, he is establishment and the status quo of over aged divas will remain imo. He is a great manager though. It seems an uninspiring appointment but Capello, Keegan, Sven all looked great and turned to crap.

Still think Harry would have been better, its win win, either he gets somewhere with England or we get to see the press rip his bent being to shreds.

It's just so painful to watch Roy's teams playing away from home! Glad your strenght isn't the defence. No denying that Roy can built his teams around its strenghts but if it's defence it's just dead boring to watch and I can imagine England fans will be wishing his sacking rather sooner than later no matter what the results will be.

Guest Roger Kint

lets be honest watching England for the past decade hasnt exactly been enjoyable, surely boring success would be a step up from boring failure(assuming he could do well)

Guest neesy111

He's an experienced, honest manager and can speak English. Happy to reserve judgment on everything else until I actually see his England team, good luck to him.

Roy I believe would be one of the few managers that would be prepared to drop Gerrard etc to bring in younger players as well.  Harry wouldn't imo.

Given the choice of Hodgson or Redknapp I'd rather have neither, thanks.

I can't really see why people lament his time at Inter, he didn't really do that well. Aye he made a uefa cup final (and lost it only to get s*** pelted at him by the fans) with Inter but they weren't exactly foreign to the competition either having won it previously (they won it in 94 iirc). Avram Grant took a chelsea side to a champions league final, would anybody call him a good manager? Greame Souness won a few cups abroad, played and managed teams outside of England, so based on that would he be a better choice then Redknapp?...

As for saggy face, well f*** me. The bloke is everything that is wrong with modern football and has achieved very little real success throughout his managerial career.

International management is a completely different ball game to club management and relies on many more aspects compared with club management I guess. Overall I suppose I would have Hodgson but that's like asking me if I would rather bathe in shit or take a golden shower

He's an experienced, honest manager and can speak English. Happy to reserve judgment on everything else until I actually see his England team, good luck to him.

Roy I believe would be one of the few managers that would be prepared to drop Gerrard etc to bring in younger players as well.  Harry wouldn't imo.

Agreed. Hodgson is far more likely to give the team a shake-up and actually bring in players that will earn the shirt on performances rather than reputation. We might even see an England manager at SJP to take in a game or two for the first time in years. Redknapp would be more of the same. No pride in having a cunt like him in charge.

Given the choice of Hodgson or Redknapp I'd rather have neither, thanks.

I can't really see why people lament his time at Inter, he didn't really do that well. Aye he made a uefa cup final (and lost it only to get s*** pelted at him by the fans) with Inter but they weren't exactly foreign to the competition either having won it previously (they won it in 94 iirc). Avram Grant took a chelsea side to a champions league final, would anybody call him a good manager? Greame Souness won a few cups abroad, played and managed teams outside of England, so based on that would he be a better choice then Redknapp?...

As for saggy face, well f*** me. The bloke is everything that is wrong with modern football and has achieved very little real success throughout his managerial career.

International management is a completely different ball game to club management and relies on many more aspects compared with club management I guess. Overall I suppose I would have Hodgson but that's like asking me if I would rather bathe in shit or take a golden shower

You really shouldn't use a word unless you know what it means. :razz:

I don't think anything will change whoever the manager is really. The press will always slaughter any manager, the usual players will always be picked, we'll always flatter to deceive and drop our arses on the big stage. Not expecting much different from Hodgson's tenure if I'm honest.

I don't think anything will change whoever the manager is really. The press will always slaughter any manager, the usual players will always be picked, we'll always flatter to deceive and drop our arses on the big stage. Not expecting much different from Hodgson's tenure if I'm honest.

Aye, but at least there'll be one likeable person in the England set-up

Aye, but at least there'll be one likeable person in the England set-up